OL Discussion

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
What are some of those things?
I projected Riggs behind Williams to take over starter next year, #2 RT
Pearson at #2 at C is a shock as he has been here 4 weeks after Best and Tana have been normal center backups. I did not expect Pearson to be on the depth chart anytime this year
I cannot see Sylvain behind Height
I cannot see Lockett behind Gore
Why is Cruz at 3rd Lb instead of edge
Burrell should be ahead of Shelley
Seymore has been projected backing up Brooks not Lee
Davis has been working behind Lee not Brooks
Gibbs is shown as CB but practices with Daniels at N
I thought Harris was an edge and Sylvain was a SDE
Where is Moore among the safeties

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I think it’s too early to panic about LB and CB. We know Efford is good. Tatum has shown flashes. Lightsey and Hamilton seem to be at least solid depth pieces if not better than that. In the secondary, we don’t know that we only have 3 starter level players. We know that we have at least 3 in Brooks, Powell-Lee, and Harvey. Burrell and Gibbs come highly recommended, and there’s always the possibility of a younger player breaking out. Remember that Harvey was just a backup before last season.

Toe Meets Leather is only a few weeks away. Get excited!
Burrell and Gibbs were starters at their previous stops, along with Tobe I believe. Shelley has played a lot, along Daniels.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I projected Riggs behind Williams to take over starter next year, #2 RT
Pearson at #2 at C is a shock as he has been here 4 weeks after Best and Tana have been normal center backups. I did not expect Pearson to be on the depth chart anytime this year
I cannot see Sylvain behind Height
I cannot see Lockett behind Gore
Why is Cruz at 3rd Lb instead of edge
Burrell should be ahead of Shelley
Seymore has been projected backing up Brooks not Lee
Davis has been working behind Lee not Brooks
Gibbs is shown as CB but practices with Daniels at N
I thought Harris was an edge and Sylvain was a SDE
Where is Moore among the safeties

All good points for discussion. That chart was last updated on 7/15. Looking forward to seeing the first depth chart by CBK before the FSU game as that is the one that will matter.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The fact that we are projecting (trying anyway) starters ,and where, tells me that those new coaches had better be REAL good or it will be mid-season before we are really coordinated possibly..
Discussion and debate amongst the fans on a message board have nothing to do with the coaches and their abilities imo. I would be shocked if they didn't have a pretty clear idea of what the two-deep will be with maybe some reservation given due to the incoming players whether they be transfers or FR. Don't confuse our not knowing with their not knowing. IMO of course.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. The innovation ability of the oc and the teaching ability position coaches is a very important metric in attracting quality players.

Our ol guys are becoming grown *** men. Recruits wont be forced out of need to play early in simple system.

We have selectively used portal to fill obvious needs. Not in mass like some.

Last year ol played fast and effectively. (Still need work on straight up pass blocking in passing situations). They allowed us to switch from passing to running.

TODAY, gt is in final conversations with 2 quality ol recruits. 3-4star Adidahan should decide this week and solid 4 star Petty should decide between Gt and fsu next week.

Fingers crossed!

Get these guys to join and we are on way to general public saying
"Gt is the ol institute. They keep reloading".

When that happens,
recruting gets a lot easier. Quality DL guys want to practice against very good ol. Aii skill players want a good ol.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is a link to a depth chart that I found. Looks to be close to what we will see. Good to talk about.

GT Depth Chart
That man that transferred from Middle Tennessee State, Rutledge? His high school bio was something else. If I read this correctly, he was all state in three sports football, basketball (had over 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds) and in track setting some kind of a record in the shot put and he is going to major in engineering. WOW. Upon further review, he was an all region tight end in high school, not all state but was all state in basketball and track. Imagine that.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
1. The innovation ability of the oc and the teaching ability position coaches is a very important metric in attracting quality players.

Our ol guys are becoming grown *** men. Recruits wont be forced out of need to play early in simple system.

We have selectively used portal to fill obvious needs. Not in mass like some.

Last year ol played fast and effectively. (Still need work on straight up pass blocking in passing situations). They allowed us to switch from passing to running.

TODAY, gt is in final conversations with 2 quality ol recruits. 3-4star Adidahan should decide this week and solid 4 star Petty should decide between Gt and fsu next week.

Fingers crossed!

Get these guys to join and we are on way to general public saying
"Gt is the ol institute. They keep reloading".

When that happens,
recruting gets a lot easier. Quality DL guys want to practice against very good ol. Aii skill players want a good ol.
Another question for the experts. We lost one starter, the guy from the Ivy League school that started at guard. Correct? How did he perform in comparison to the other four who are back this year? In other words is his loss significant because he was a good player.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Another question for the experts. We lost one starter, the guy from the Ivy League school that started at guard. Correct? How did he perform in comparison to the other four who are back this year? In other words is his loss significant because he was a good player.
Yes, he was a good player.
As to the comared to the rest of the ol , it's time dependent.
When he was recruited out of portal after year before last- he was way better than what we had.
At start of tvis past year, we had ol guys improving abd a new ol and a new strength coach. He was a big part of why ol improved.
Now, we have added an older guy called big red to the ol, but now the rest of the ol has their own identity so the maturity of ol has come a long way.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
He won the job and no backup could take it from him. He was in my opinion as good as the rest of the line, no better and no worse in general terms. He has to be replaced with a good player. Fortunately we have good candidates: Rutledge, MacKenny, Galloway, and if Riggs is the next best O lineman then Williams could move back to RG and Riggs could play RT. This is not a problem area for the team. .

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He won the job and no backup could take it from him. He was in my opinion as good as the rest of the line, no better and no worse in general terms. He has to be replaced with a good player. Fortunately we have good candidates: Rutledge, MacKenny, Galloway, and if Riggs is the next best O lineman then Williams could move back to RG and Riggs could play RT. This is not a problem area for the team. .
From your mouth to Key's ears. Williams is, imho, a natural guard and performed extremely well when he was in the middle. We do have people who can take over at tackle if it comes to that. And, of course, he's no slouch at RT either.

Luckily, these decisions are above my pay grade.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What ever happened to Patrick Screws.?
Seemed like he would be in conversation by now and plus he has a great namr.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The entire season rests on the performance of the OLine.

The more football I watch the more I think this applies absolutely to every team, every year and at every competitive level. A team can't win without a competent OL. It starts there.

An offense is like a Battleship. The receivers and backs are like the weaponry. The QB is like the engine and rudder. But the OL is like the hull. Without integrity of the hull, the ship can't stay afloat and all the weapons and magnificent speed and nimbleness doesn't matter.

A defense is like a U-Boat. Most of the players can be just average, but a few dominant players at key spots (pass rush, corners, MLB), and a defense can torpedo the mighty battleship.

A weak OL is like a thin-hulled ship. Even a weak blow can take it down regardless of QB or skill players.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The more football I watch the more I think this applies absolutely to every team, every year and at every competitive level. A team can't win without a competent OL. It starts there.

An offense is like a Battleship. The receivers and backs are like the weaponry. The QB is like the engine and rudder. But the OL is like the hull. Without integrity of the hull, the ship can't stay afloat and all the weapons and magnificent speed and nimbleness doesn't matter.

A defense is like a U-Boat. Most of the players can be just average, but a few dominant players at key spots (pass rush, corners, MLB the mighty battleship.

A weak OL is like a thin-hulled ship. Even a weak blow can take it down regardless of QB or skill players.
How long did you work on that analogy?
IMG_9968.gif

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Remember a couple years ago when we were having to start true freshmen and walk-ons? (All respect to them, because they played really hard and Franklin and Fusile developed into really good players.) I don't think we've ever had this depth at OL in the two decades I've been a Tech fan. Feels good.
Having guys who have played now, for two, three and up to four years, has been incredibly valuable. I think Geep Wade is doing a very good job getting the O line ready to play week in and week out.
We went through a period where they either didn't develop or the transfers did not work out as hoped or planned and it showed. Now there is some continuity and some consistency and hopefully some depth behind the starters that will keep the continuity and consistency going.
One reason we were so good on offense in 2014 is that O line just flat out mauled people. PJ raved about Chris Griffin at RT, and Errin Joe is the one who started in the bowl game (Griffin couldn't stay healthy). Shoot, Fromayan, Devine and Andrew Marshall were backups that year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Glad that the frist part of scrimage was run oriented. The new portal guys and trimeed down DT gave the ol a good contest. Then on 3rd down drills the ol gave the offense had time to shine.

At end of last year the Oline was successful runing the ball due to scheme and fast ol plqy. We got an angle.

Still need to show we can stratht up run the ball in red zone. The new tight end should help.

(Biggest issue is how young the youth of the back up rb. )

Against FSU offense needs to come out firing like its 3rd down. FSU will load he box like clemson. Ol must give qb some clean pocket.