OL Discussion

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
We only lose the Princeton Transfer at one Guard sport from last season.

Do we have a guy slotted in there yet or is there an open competition? Who are the legit candidates for the OG spot?

Could any of the other returning starters get pushed?

As a former OL, Key seems to favor continuity over rotation. How many guys do we see get regular playing time?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We only lose the Princeton Transfer at one Guard sport from last season.

Do we have a guy slotted in there yet or is there an open competition? Who are the legit candidates for the OG spot?

Could any of the other returning starters get pushed?

As a former OL, Key seems to favor continuity over rotation. How many guys do we see get regular playing time?

My guess: Rutledge was portaled in to have a crack at the RG spot. Key moved MacKenny to RG in the spring when Rutledge was ingured and not yet available. Fusile is LG. We seem to have a battle at LT with Robinson, MacKenny, and Brown. Riggs is backing up Williams at RT. Tupuola is likely backing up Franklin at C and will probably get some PT. The coaches are high on Harrison Moore who can play multiple positions. I expect Best at C/G and Galloway at G to get some limited PT. We have some talented younger players who will likely RS.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My guess: Rutledge was portaled in to have a crack at the RG spot. Key moved MacKenny to RG in the spring when Rutledge was ingured and not yet available. Fusile is LG. We seem to have a battle at LT with Robinson, MacKenny, and Brown. Riggs is backing up Williams at RT. Tupuola is likely backing up Franklin at C and will probably get some PT. The coaches are high on Harrison Moore who can play multiple positions. I expect Best at C/G and Galloway at G to get some limited PT. We have some talented younger players who will likely RS.

Remember a couple years ago when we were having to start true freshmen and walk-ons? (All respect to them, because they played really hard and Franklin and Fusile developed into really good players.) I don't think we've ever had this depth at OL in the two decades I've been a Tech fan. Feels good.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Remember a couple years ago when we were having to start true freshmen and walk-ons? (All respect to them, because they played really hard and Franklin and Fusile developed into really good players.) I don't think we've ever had this depth at OL in the two decades I've been a Tech fan. Feels good.
I sense we're going to have depth everywhere, and we're going to use it to win games. This has the potential to be one of those surprise years that GT seems to have once every 10-15 years IMO. The biggest surprise will be our defense, question being how quickly it comes around. If I'm wrong about the defense then I'm wrong about the rest of what I've said I expect.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think there's a chance that we'll see another MacKenny this year: young mister Riggs. He is, by all reports, a smasher. Rutledge will probably get first dibs on RG, but we'll see. There's a monster amount of depth here and corresponding opportunities for the enterprising. That's nice.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The entire season rests on the performance of the OLine. Skilled positions are a dime a dozen and we have several adequate QB’s. But, if the OLine isn’t ready we’ll lose a lot of games. Don’t get me wrong, I love Jamaal and King and our WR’s, but I’ve seen good QB’s look horrible behind a bad line and I’ve seen WR’s turned into nothing but empty routes behind a bad line. Look back at a lot of our magical plays last season including the last 2 plays of the Miami game and those passes aren’t completed except for the time King had to see the field and his ability to put the ball in the right spot. The line play against UGA was the best I’ve seen from a GT team in a long time. As I walked out of the stadium in Tampa after whipping UCF, the smile on my face was from watching our OLine maul those guys which is why our QB, RB, and WR’s were all over the highlight reel. It reminded me of the O’Leary years.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
Having a strong OL from the begging instead of one coming together during the season is definitely refreshing. I do like this feeling better than the fear I've had in other seasons.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hope we beat Lousiville this year.
They have gone full portal with thier OL. Last year they were all sr or r-sr. They have recruited zilch ol freshman and will likely have a cliff as next year approaches in 25.

Portal has its place but not like Lousiville

slugboy

Staff member
I have never heard of this website. Is it actually based on anything? I think I will wait for our coaching staff to provide a depth chart prior to the FSU game.
It’s been around for a while.

They claim to be a professional scouting service, but I don’t get that vibe.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure that info is very accurate. It lists Gore as a NT and Biggers as a 3T. That should be swapped. Also, I don’t think Chase Lane is big enough to be an X; that should be Blackburn.
I agree Leo should be the starting X., no doubt in my mind.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
They are rated as a top 10 OL group in the country. I have little concern of the OL. My concern is with the LB depth, and CB depth. There are currently only 3 DBs that are starter level. The rest are young and untested. Have to stay healthy in the secondary.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They are rated as a top 10 OL group in the country. I have little concern of the OL. My concern is with the LB depth, and CB depth. There are currently only 3 DBs that are starter level. The rest are young and untested. Have to stay healthy in the secondary.
I think it’s too early to panic about LB and CB. We know Efford is good. Tatum has shown flashes. Lightsey and Hamilton seem to be at least solid depth pieces if not better than that. In the secondary, we don’t know that we only have 3 starter level players. We know that we have at least 3 in Brooks, Powell-Lee, and Harvey. Burrell and Gibbs come highly recommended, and there’s always the possibility of a younger player breaking out. Remember that Harvey was just a backup before last season.

Toe Meets Leather is only a few weeks away. Get excited!