OL Development

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t take great offense to much of anything, but I don’t like to see our rivals’ propaganda (ie “we just flopped on the ground”) regurgitated by GT fans to try to diminish the past decade of GT teams. We were a generally good, occasionally great, team over Paul Johnson’s tenure. He’s retired, and we are now in a new era and we can hopefully reach even higher heights. Can’t we just leave it at that?

When things were going bad sometimes it did really appear that our OL guys were just flopping down but in reality their blocks were just getting beat

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I hate to stir the pot, but can anyone articulate why they think Sewak was so bad? I see this idea all the time on here. I don't doubt it's true, but I don't know enough to know why everyone thinks this. Is it about technical football stuff, player/coach relationship stuff? Something else? Thanks in advance.

Anecdotal for me only but I heard from a source I trust that Sewak was a bit unhinged. I do think he was a liability on the staff.

Then not playing Bryan his senior year when healthy. That was enough for me all by itself.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I came to this thread thinking it might be about the upcoming season and how OL players have developed in the offseason under Key. Boy am I dumb.

Looks like Key's got them reading the defense pre-snap, which apparently is a new development.

FTA:
Key told the linemen after his hire in January that they would be reading the safeties, corner and linebackers before the snap to diagnose what the defense was doing.

“We were like, what?” Quinney said. “Like, there’s no way we’ll be able to do that. But now after watching film all summer and going through all spring and all the way through camp, it’s like now it’s second nature to us. It’s way easier to read the defense now than it’s ever been. I’m doing things now that last year I didn’t even know were possible. That’s all coach Key.

I personally like the trial-by-fire the OL will get on Thursday. It'll make the 3 games after that seem smaller and slower by comparison.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So the players say key is better than sewak - wonder what else is different. The players think they are being taught. Hmm. Anyone near the program knows that cpj would occasionally yell into a linemens helmet.. Anyone close to the ol program would know that Sewak was a screamer. Thats no big deal if he is an equal opportunity screamer and u are right.
The nicest thing we can say is the players dont seem to know the basic fact the system key runs is simpler than the one sewak ran was complex.
Knowing players one would know they loved the cpj scheme, they didn't mind the yelliing.

I didn't read anything in the article that mentioned "yelling". Did I miss it?

I can only imagine, however, that whenever anything went bad previously the OL might have gotten tired about all the " OL missed assignment" comments. They were doing what they were taught by a OL coach that would not have been fired even if caught raping a horse in broad daylight on Peachtree St.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The old system read the defense too, but in a much different way. No team lines up without a system for determining assignments and blitz pickup responsibilities. But I do think Key's involves a much more thorough understanding of what the defense is trying to do rather than trying just to calculate what you are supposed to do.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The old system read the defense too, but in a much different way. No team lines up without a system for determining assignments and blitz pickup responsibilities. But I do think Key's involves a much more thorough understanding of what the defense is trying to do rather than trying just to calculate what you are supposed to do.

Key also has some recent experience coaching and scheming against Clemson’s DL, hopefully he has some good insight to help prep our guys for them

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

I think it’s more a question of which players they were reading previously versus now. In the previous offense it was all about numbers in the box, the OL didn’t really worry or care about what the DBs were doing as long as they stayed out of the box. Now they are being asked to read everyone pre-snap. It’s just a different kind of complexity from what we’ve been doing. Some people here are reading way too much into Quinney’s quotes.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Key also has some recent experience coaching and scheming against Clemson’s DL, hopefully he has some good insight to help prep our guys for them

Well, the last time ‘Ol Brent Key had experience using his good insight in coaching and scheming against Clemson’s DL was during the last National Championship game. Lost 44-16.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, the last time ‘Ol Brent Key had experience using his good insight in coaching and scheming against Clemson’s DL was during the last National Championship game. Lost 44-16.

Didn't realize Key was also responsible for 'Bama's defense as well. No wonder Key left 'Bama...had to coach the OL and and get blamed for the defense. :)

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Didn't realize Key was also responsible for 'Bama's defense as well. No wonder Key left 'Bama...had to coach the OL and and get blamed for the defense. :)

I didn’t realize ‘Ol Mike Sewak was also responsible for Tech’s defense as well. LOL

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

You know, he could have *gasp* learned something from that. Coaches are capable of that, you know. How did our OL look against 6-6 (3-5) Minnesota? But, see, its silly to make judgments on one game.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I realize they got smoked, But still, he has coached against them twice, thats better than nothing