OL Development

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Interesting quotes from our players. Sounds like OL development under this staff and Key have gone to another level, and it's mainly from "between the ears" standpoint. From what our team is saying, our OL has come a long way, but will get even better with each snap:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...es-better-than-spring/we0VNnWZjbua6VoFhYb24H/
So the players say key is better than sewak - wonder what else is different. The players think they are being taught. Hmm. Anyone near the program knows that cpj would occasionally yell into a linemens helmet.. Anyone close to the ol program would know that Sewak was a screamer. Thats no big deal if he is an equal opportunity screamer and u are right.
The nicest thing we can say is the players dont seem to know the basic fact the system key runs is simpler than the one sewak ran was complex.
Knowing players one would know they loved the cpj scheme, they didn't mind the yelliing.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s not hard to be exponentially better when the previous technique was to hit the dirt and flop like a fish out of water.

I'm sure CBK is doing an excellent job. He has the credentials to back up the claims.

It's laughable how little you understand about the old technique, though. CPJ is one of the most brilliant minds in terms of blocking scheme in history. Now, I believe he expected his scheming should be able to overcome all talent deficiencies, and I think this failed him at times. Give him the ideal OL of guys like Shaq, Braun, etc., and they'll dominate anyone.

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm sure CBK is doing an excellent job. He has the credentials to back up the claims.

It's laughable how little you understand about the old technique, though. CPJ is one of the most brilliant minds in terms of blocking scheme in history. Now, I believe he expected his scheming should be able to overcome all talent deficiencies, and I think this failed him at times. Give him the ideal OL of guys like Shaq, Braun, etc., and they'll dominate anyone.

Not really a dig at CPJ. Meant for Mike Sewak who was a joke.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I had my issues with CMS, too. But the blocking technique is sound. Also, we did less cut blocking over the last few years of CPJ than we did in the beginning, especially as the OL got bigger and more talented. Everybody cuts.

I would disagree with you all day that the blocking technique was sound for pass pro all day. And have said so for years. And confirmed by new staff and old players, not that i needed confirmation but to a man everyone said pass pro the old way was hard and nearly impossible to do more consistently with the acc DE talent.

If you mean its a sound system for the veer midline triple etc ok. I guess.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Generally agree. And though I’ve been trying to avoid CPJ talk.....some here just refuse to move on from the past regime, their dislike of it...and continue to spout etheir ignorance on football in general and our past O scheme specifically.

One thing he stipulated was that talent disparity could overcome scheme. And he at times praised some who gave us fits. BJ Raj and that other DT at BC forced him to run away from both in play calls. Aaron Donald....there wasn’t anything we could call to negate that cat. Also gave praise to some Lbs and safeties we faced.

I agree he thought his calls and scheme could help mitigate opponent talent but I don’t think he ever overstated that much.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This year will cgc and cbk
It would be interesting to know who CBK thinks is a good OL coach if he was to get a head coaching job.
I think we had to add ast head coach to his title.
As an ol coach he is paid about what uga, texas, etc pay thier ol coach.

Cgc managing working relationship between oc and ast head coach / ol coach will be interesting.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would disagree with you all day that the blocking technique was sound for pass pro all day. And have said so for years. And confirmed by new staff and old players, not that i needed confirmation but to a man everyone said pass pro the old way was hard and nearly impossible to do more consistently with the acc DE talent.

If you mean its a sound system for the veer midline triple etc ok. I guess.

It's not just sound, it's a perfect system for run blocking.

For straight pass pro, it is deficient. But the passing attack in that offense was never supposed to dependent on pass pro. It was supposed to be dependent on a dominant run game. We can agree that pass pro was an issue.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Nah...it was a miracle we ever completed a single pass in any game.

Seriously....those that stipulate the last scheme was so bad....should surely be proclaiming wild success will he had this year. Playoffs or bust even...lol.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's not just sound, it's a perfect system for run blocking.

For straight pass pro, it is deficient. But the passing attack in that offense was never supposed to dependent on pass pro. It was supposed to be dependent on a dominant run game. We can agree that pass pro was an issue.
First I liked CPJ still do but our pass blocking and even our run no blocking were weak at times. It had to be hard to learn because how many times did we hear missed assignments? And yes if most of your passes at +15 yards it is harder to hold your man. Most of us on here kept saying we needed more medium to short pass patterns. At one time we would pass to the A Backs but if you go back and look that was not the case the last 2 years. Will we do better now, I hope so time will tell.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Generally agree. And though I’ve been trying to avoid CPJ talk.....some here just refuse to move on from the past regime, their dislike of it...and continue to spout etheir ignorance on football in general and our past O scheme specifically.

One thing he stipulated was that talent disparity could overcome scheme. And he at times praised some who gave us fits. BJ Raj and that other DT at BC forced him to run away from both in play calls. Aaron Donald....there wasn’t anything we could call to negate that cat. Also gave praise to some Lbs and safeties we faced.

I agree he thought his calls and scheme could help mitigate opponent talent but I don’t think he ever overstated that much.

Just a fun point on special players.

On 4th and short against Pittsburgh didn't we run right at Aaron Donald?
At Iowa orange bowl they had one special dt on left side and had overload on right side. First half we tried to run left or utm left and the special guy showed how special he was. Later we just ran to right into the overload andchad success.

Correct me if i am wrong on rth and 1 against AD.

The other teans , who are allowed to scout and improve, became better at seeing tells and disgusting their alignments. This made ol teaching harder by alot
Per the player.

Imo
When cpj spoke he had a bigger message for several parties. When he spoke about scheme can only do so much against special players, MB our AD should have heard if we want to win i we need to get cpj recruiting money so he can get special players .

The last few years when he spoke defending the offense andcour performance he wasnt just asking for prospective view to justiy recent so so performance. It wasn't rah rah, but if u listened you heard his pain at seeing his scheme running for years like a race engine w fuel line restriction.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

those guys would've dominated anyone in any scheme. the mark of the previous blocking scheme was its inability to beat the Dukes and Pitts of the conference not to mention the complete manhandling by elite teams. The scheme had to have elite talent to succeed, which is a weakness not a strength.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I had my issues with CMS, too. But the blocking technique is sound. Also, we did less cut blocking over the last few years of CPJ than we did in the beginning, especially as the OL got bigger and more talented. Everybody cuts.

we got leapfrogged far too often in recent years to call that technique 'sound'.