OL Development

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Nah...it was a miracle we ever completed a single pass in any game.

Seriously....those that stipulate the last scheme was so bad....should surely be proclaiming wild success will he had this year. Playoffs or bust even...lol.

with a bunch of TO skill players in the offense? LOL, yeah OK. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to figure out how this great scheme just got dominated as often as it didn't. When you can't run the ball against Duke (like Wake could lol), it's hard to take all these great-scheme comments very seriously. The scheme wasn't bad but it wasn't giving us any great advantages anymore either.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When u talk to ol guys (tackles) they really felt the knee braces restricted thier ability to block in space. They did concede that they could still get in way and be effective. They wanted to be able to do more legal holding. It could be they just didn't like looking awkward. I wondered if we could have recruited more 2/3 star de , bulked them up and have them play in certain packages.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's not just sound, it's a perfect system for run blocking.

For straight pass pro, it is deficient. But the passing attack in that offense was never supposed to dependent on pass pro. It was supposed to be dependent on a dominant run game. We can agree that pass pro was an issue.

I get that. I can assure you i do. Glad you agree it stunk for pass pro.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Generally agree. And though I’ve been trying to avoid CPJ talk.....some here just refuse to move on from the past regime, their dislike of it...and continue to spout etheir ignorance on football in general and our past O scheme specifically.

One thing he stipulated was that talent disparity could overcome scheme. And he at times praised some who gave us fits. BJ Raj and that other DT at BC forced him to run away from both in play calls. Aaron Donald....there wasn’t anything we could call to negate that cat. Also gave praise to some Lbs and safeties we faced.

I agree he thought his calls and scheme could help mitigate opponent talent but I don’t think he ever overstated that much.

Some people's hate for CPJ and his staff is greater than their love for GT. Here we are trying to get ready for week 1 of a new season, and some pitiful people can't help themselves from trying to stir up controversy by attacking the previous staff as a way of trolling fans of GT who supported CPJ and support CGC.

Why else would folk who call themselves GT fans attack a previous coach and his staff this relentlessly in so many different threads?

The expectations of our OL are different now than they were in the previous system. They are being asked to do different things and so will need to learn new skills. That's an obvious and neutral observation which doesn't need to result in finger pointing and hand wringing.

Here's a fact: Over CPJ's 11 years, we had on average a top 10 offense by PPDvPwr5 (for teams who played more than 2 Pwr5 or BCS-AQ teams in the season). Now, obviously, CPJ was also responsible for the defense, and we never fielded a decent defense, and that's on him to a certain extent. However, this thread is about Offensive Line and so about the offense's efficiency.

Finally, I expect you will see our OL cut blocking this Thursday evening, especially on the backside of run plays.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
On paper the ATL guys are not terribly undersized. Could they use a few more Popeyes or Chick-fil-A chicken sandwiches.... probably. I do think at least two or three of three of them have a shot at the NFL if they progress well.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Some people's hate for CPJ and his staff is greater than their love for GT. Here we are trying to get ready for week 1 of a new season, and some pitiful people can't help themselves from trying to stir up controversy by attacking the previous staff as a way of trolling fans of GT who supported CPJ and support CGC.

Why else would folk who call themselves GT fans attack a previous coach and his staff this relentlessly in so many different threads?

The expectations of our OL are different now than they were in the previous system. They are being asked to do different things and so will need to learn new skills. That's an obvious and neutral observation which doesn't need to result in finger pointing and hand wringing.

Here's a fact: Over CPJ's 11 years, we had on average a top 10 offense by PPDvPwr5 (for teams who played more than 2 Pwr5 or BCS-AQ teams in the season). Now, obviously, CPJ was also responsible for the defense, and we never fielded a decent defense, and that's on him to a certain extent. However, this thread is about Offensive Line and so about the offense's efficiency.

Finally, I expect you will see our OL cut blocking this Thursday evening, especially on the backside of run plays.

I don't think anyone's criticism is aimed towards any previous coach except Sewak, a coach that literally got zero praise from any GT fan in any forum I've watched over the years.
From the article itself, it's clear the kids are doing things they previously thought weren't possible under the previous staff. That's a bit of shade, no? That's also from the players.

I'm absolutely glad Sewak is gone and Coach Key is here and make zero apologies for that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
right - {crickets chirping} for both, no argument. :D

Do you hear crickets in your head often?

Yes it’s a pretty simple concept. The best scheme in the world will fail without decent talent if facing great talent. A scheme that is barely decent will succeed with the best talent when facing only decent talent.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you hear crickets in your head often?

Yes it’s a pretty simple concept. The best scheme in the world will fail without decent talent if facing great talent. A scheme that is barely decent will succeed with the best talent when facing only decent talent.

LOL - always with the childish little personal shots! What is it with some of PJ's fans that causes you to take such great offense on the guy's behalf?

Anyway, the argument for PJ's scheme was always that it was an equalizer for us and our lack of elite talent. The overall record shows that wasn't the case. Some nice wins, some horrible lows. Our best years were when we had a great QB (Nesbitt, JT). Pretty much like every other offensive scheme in that regard.

oh well. Ding Dong, Sewak's stupid blocking scheme is gone! These guys are already doing things they weren't even being coached to do by the previous regime....unless the kids are lying in the article.

Going from Sewak to Key might be the largest change in competency of any coaching change in any sport on planet earth this past year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
LOL - always with the childish little personal shots! What is it with some of PJ's fans that causes you to take such great offense on the guy's behalf?

Anyway, the argument for PJ's scheme was always that it was an equalizer for us and our lack of elite talent. The overall record shows that wasn't the case. Some nice wins, some horrible lows. Our best years were when we had a great QB (Nesbitt, JT). Pretty much like every other offensive scheme in that regard.

oh well. Ding Dong, Sewak's stupid blocking scheme is gone! These guys are already doing things they weren't even being coached to do by the previous regime....unless the kids are lying in the article.

Going from Sewak to Key might be the largest change in competency of any coaching change in any sport on planet earth this past year.

Well, as long as people make posts saying that W-L records answers a question about the offense, I'll point out that it betrays extreme ignorance of the game which also includes defense and special teams.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

You mentioned cricket sounds. I asked about what you are hearing....I’m concerned for ya. And then you respond to that concern by calling me childish. Is that a personal attack?

Few talk about the prior staff more than you. What is it about you PJ haters that cause you to take continuous shots? It’s almost like you insist on continuing the PJ talk until CGC is gone and maybe his replacement too.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
You mentioned cricket sounds. I asked about what you are hearing....I’m concerned for ya. And then you respond to that concern by calling me childish. Is that a personal attack?

Few talk about the prior staff more than you. What is it about you PJ haters that cause you to take continuous shots? It’s almost like you insist on continuing the PJ talk until CGC is gone and maybe his replacement too.

somehow, I'm not feeling the concern :ROFLMAO: And I called your response childish, not you. Reading comp fail?

I've not spoken of PJ and the staff in many a moon. This article does make clear that, at least on the OL side of things, the current staff is a VAST improvement over the former staff. Are you saying that Sewak was actually a great OL coach for us?

And you PJ guys continue to bring up Gailey! :LOL::ROFLMAO:o_O:vulcan::rolleyes:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, as long as people make posts saying that W-L records answers a question about the offense, I'll point out that it betrays extreme ignorance of the game which also includes defense and special teams.

Watching the games showed that the scheme wasn't an equalizer either. Watching us lose to Duke 4 of 5 years is evidence enough for the vast majority of football fans. Though you're right - D and ST are 2 of the 3 phases of the game, all of which are under the umbrella of the HC.

But again, this is about Coach Key, who is a vast improvement over Sewak. Or do you disagree?

MostDefinitely

Georgia Tech Fan
I hate to stir the pot, but can anyone articulate why they think Sewak was so bad? I see this idea all the time on here. I don't doubt it's true, but I don't know enough to know why everyone thinks this. Is it about technical football stuff, player/coach relationship stuff? Something else? Thanks in advance.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
What is it with some of PJ's fans that causes you to take such great offense on the guy's behalf?

I don’t take great offense to much of anything, but I don’t like to see our rivals’ propaganda (ie “we just flopped on the ground”) regurgitated by GT fans to try to diminish the past decade of GT teams. We were a generally good, occasionally great, team over Paul Johnson’s tenure. He’s retired, and we are now in a new era and we can hopefully reach even higher heights. Can’t we just leave it at that?