Okay folks its time

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
I say keep him if we're not going to hire a really good coach that can get us back to being a top tier team in the ACC. No reason to pay 3 coaches and still struggle.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Next year will be a struggle no matter. Graduation will deplete our roster and the reinforcements will take time to develop. I personally do not think the net effect of keeping/firing is all that great. A new face could do wonders to energize the fan base.

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
Gregory is definitely terrible at recruiting. Alot of our better players have been transfers. That's not getting it done. Georgia Tech was always known for great point gaurds. Gregory has recruited zero!

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
haha, and check out who RT'd it
image.jpg

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I think BG is a great guy, the kids love him, and he's done a lot of good things at GT. What has not been good is our level of recruiting & the overall results from the 5-year body of work. I 100% believe we should move on.

That said, I believe one of two things is about to happen:
(A) BG will not be fired
(B) MBob has somehow concocted a miracle at the convergence of finance & a big name hire with a full staff ready to go

If I had to bet, I'd bet on (A).

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Keep CBG for 1 more year and then assess. Changing now will set us back several years and undo some of the things that seem to be on the up..

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
How will firing CBG set us back several years and what is on the up that we don't want to undo???
Because it will be a new start for the new coach. I laid out my argument in the first page of this thread. I will paste it here again..

"The ACC is a tough league to figure out for any outside coach (will are not going to sign a coach who has already coached in the ACC). He would have to go through the same growing pains and make the same mistakes that CBG has made in these past few years in the ACC. CBG seems to have (finally) figured out the ACC and is on the up. Now is not the time to fire him, I think. Give him one more year.

A lot of folks here were calling for Tech to replace CBG with Archie Miller. Look at what a mid-level ACC team (Syracuse) did to Dayton in the NCAA tournament. Even if Archie Miller was to be hired here, he would face the same situation as CBG did in his first few years - growing pains, and learn from mistakes that we have already made so far in the CBG era.

My only knock on CBG is recruiting. If that improves in the next 1-2 years, I think we can keep and extend CBG."

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Because it will be a new start for the new coach. I laid out my argument in the first page of this thread. I will paste it here again..

"The ACC is a tough league to figure out for any outside coach (will are not going to sign a coach who has already coached in the ACC). He would have to go through the same growing pains and make the same mistakes that CBG has made in these past few years in the ACC. CBG seems to have (finally) figured out the ACC and is on the up. Now is not the time to fire him, I think. Give him one more year.

A lot of folks here were calling for Tech to replace CBG with Archie Miller. Look at what a mid-level ACC team (Syracuse) did to Dayton in the NCAA tournament. Even if Archie Miller was to be hired here, he would face the same situation as CBG did in his first few years - growing pains, and learn from mistakes that we have already made so far in the CBG era.

My only knock on CBG is recruiting. If that improves in the next 1-2 years, I think we can keep and extend CBG."
Thanks for the response.

I completely disagree. We are 5 years in to this regime. We know exactly what we have in CBG and a light switch isn't going to magically get flipped moving forward. Keeping him only moves our relevance in college basketball back another year (probably already 3-4 years out if he was fired today). It's a good time to fire him from a roster turnover standpoint and having a lame duck coach on the recruiting trail, who isn't a very good recruiter to begin with, is gonna be brutal.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Quality coaches can make an impact in the ACC pretty quickly. Look at Tony Bennett, Jim Larranaga, or Mark Gottfried. All three had winning ACC records and NCAA appearances in their first three years. CBG has neither after 5 years.

Also, if you really want to compare Gregory and Archie Miller, its worth nothing that Miller has more NCAA appearances in the last three years than Gregory has in the last 13 years. 8 of which were at the same school as Archie Miller.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the response.

I completely disagree. We are 5 years in to this regime. We know exactly what we have in CBG and a light switch isn't going to magically get flipped moving forward. Keeping him only moves our relevance in college basketball back another year (probably already 3-4 years out if he was fired today). It's a good time to fire him from a roster turnover standpoint and having a lame duck coach on the recruiting trail, who isn't a very good recruiter to begin with, is gonna be brutal.

Quality coaches can make an impact in the ACC pretty quickly. Look at Tony Bennett, Jim Larranaga, or Mark Gottfried. All three had winning ACC records and NCAA appearances in their first three years. CBG has neither after 5 years.

Also, if you really want to compare Gregory and Archie Miller, its worth nothing that Miller has more NCAA appearances in the last three years than Gregory has in the last 13 years. 8 of which were at the same school as Archie Miller.

I guess it's a moot point now. Tech just canned CBG.