Okay folks its time

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Finances are the only reason to keep him a year. Keeping him after next season is tantamount to gross negligence of the bball wing of the institute.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Change is certainly needed. But the timing also has to be right. Many of us thought that the time was right last year and it didn't happen.

The Brian Gregory case is such an odd one. He's a guy that you want to root for, a guy that the team seems to get behind, but he just hasn't had the results. He has been horribly unfortunate. I actually think his teams have, generally speaking, played better basketball than the teams in Hewitt's last few years. I don't think he is an amazing coach, but perhaps he is growing and learning. The real disappointment has been the lack of talent he has brought in. When we really needed to land top talent (like Jaylen Brown), he just hasn't been able to bring them in.

I am really on the fence. We all figured that this team would do pretty well. In my opinion, they have not over-achieved or under-achieved. But it looks bad to fire a guy after winning 20 games and having his best season at GT. So...I figure he has bought one more year, but the team will need to greatly over-achieve next year in order for him to stay (NCAA berth or he's out). That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it...unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Go jackets! Beat USC-E!

This is where I am. CBG will be here for another year and I hope we get some great transfers or it will be dismal next year.

I'd add that Bobinski should be fired first for extending CBG's contract with guarantees last year. That contract extension was gross incompetence in one of his principal areas of responsibility.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm a big fan of CBG but this is a tough business he chose. With the ajc reporting that "uncertainty" of 2 yrs on his deal will be interfering with recruiting then it seems there are two options 1) fire him and find away to get the money to hire someone good; or 2) give him a paper extension that doesn't obligate GT to anymore $ if he is fired next year than the present contract.

I understand that neither option is easy, it's tough to get $$ to pay CBG and a new coach and CBG may not agree to no increase in buyout and I understand his refusal to do it, BUT MBob has a job that many would like to have and if he can't get either of these done - HE needs to go.

Recruiting is soooo important that CBG either gets an extension or is fired- tech can't recruit effectively otherwise. Given next years recruiting crop it would seem that now is the time to make a change unless MBob believes CBG is like Frank Beamer and needs one more year to prove it.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Finances are the only reason to keep him a year. Keeping him after next season is tantamount to gross negligence of the bball wing of the institute.

yep, the only reason to keep him is finances, but that might THE ONLY important reason--it just means we will be then 5 yrs from another decent team

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Tough decision, what with the team playing so well now. But, that being said, if Bobinski has a hot new coach that is ready to commit,pull the trigger. He ( the new guy) could capitalize on this winning streak and Tech benefit greatly.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I waffled earlier this season, finally coming to grips with the narrative of CBG not being a strong enough coach to get it done in the ACC. After watching the last run we made pre ACC Tourney, coupled with the post season work in the ACCT and NIT; I am not convinced he has to go.

Yes | It would have been great to get to this line up earlier in the season, but we did finally get there - and the team continued to fight, get better, and work at making it work
Yes | Substitution patterns some of the early/mid season offensive possessions confused the heck outta me and left us in a tight spot without the points we needed
Yes | I am over seeing a team come close and then get a L based on an inability to play a solid second half

That said, he has corrected most of those grievances over the past 10 games, we are a team with 20+ wins again, and we still are getting it done in the classroom and off the court. I am for him staying next year without any question (barring some miraculous $$$ flow and hot new coach candidate) but will be interested to see if we end up extending further with guarantees. It has been parsed out by more knowledgeable guys in many other threads that we will have to be aware of the recruiting situation brought on by what and more importantly how we do it; so I will be interested to see the approach we take.

TL;DR - I think he should stay and be given a shot at building off this year and carrying it over into a couple more graduate transfers (maybe a PG - ok PLEASE A PG) while we try again to recruit a young gun to run the offense next season.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the main thing said about MBOB when he was hired was "he's a great basketball guy with a ton of experience there." I haven't seen it if true.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Tadric has really come around, and Lammers has a chance to be really good. If we get a PG we have a chance to build, but I don't see one coming. Next year is going to be rough

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
No.
I don't believe that he has all of a sudden figured it out. He still needs to go. Needs to start recruiting GA EFFECTIVELY ( the key term) this grad Xfer crap can't be both legs that you stand on.

It's not a matter of a couple months of coaching. His body of work has convinced me of his overall ability

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
No.
I don't believe that he has all of a sudden figured it out. He still needs to go. Needs to start recruiting GA EFFECTIVELY ( the key term) this grad Xfer crap can't be both legs that you stand on.

It's not a matter of a couple months of coaching. His body of work has convinced me of his overall ability
I think this little run at the end of the season is clouding some people's judgement. This is CBG's 13th season as a HC and he's taken his team to the NCAA tourney twice. The only reason to continue to kick this can down the road, is finances. If it's based solely on wins and losses, he should be let go when the season is done.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
No.

I just offered a soft (maybe passive-aggressive) opinion in the NIT thread so as not to pee in the Cheerios there too much. This is the right spot to add my 2 cents to Peac's post.

ACC-caliber coaches figure out their rosters much earlier in the season. Minutes/rotations as well as what players are allowed to do on the court (i.e., coaching to strengths/avoiding weaknesses) has been a problem every year, especially this one. This year may be the most egregious as an inability to coach may have cost us an NCAA tournament bid.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Needs to go. Besides just recruiting, the player development has been awful as well. It took MGH 4 years to finally look like a starting ACC caliber player. Tadric should be much better than he actually is (maybe in 2 more years he'll look like a starting ACC player too). Jorg should be more than capable of running the point by now. I'm struggling to even think of more examples because 75% of our team usually consists of guys who were "developed" under other coaches. I guess Robert Carter never looked all that great his 2 years here although he still looks like the same player at Maryland.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Midtown Jacket. I spent most of the season saying it was time for him to go because he didn't seem to be building anything. However, I have been excited watching them over that 10 or so games, and they seem to have finally gotten over the hump of losing the single digit games. Yes I know that he will be graduating the core of this year's team, but I am willing to see if he can build on it and recruit some young talent (or lure some transfers here). Also, this is the first 20+ win team, and this was in a conference that has a record 6 teams in the sweet 16 (and could possibly have had 7, if Louisville hadn't screwed the pooch, or whatever it was), and we beat a couple of them during the year and played most of the others very close. We also just manhandled a team that a lot of people said should have been in the big tourney.

I say give him one more year to prove he can capitalize on what was accomplished this year. Having said that, if Bobinski decides to go in another direction, I won't cry.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It isn't about figuring out the rotation or figuring out none of the pgs are worth anything in the ACC.

It's about how the roster was put together. Smith, Jacobs, and White are all new. Hunt and Mitchell had only been playing together for a year. When your top 5 guys, who none save Hunt are great players, have that little experience playing together of course it's going to take time for them to get their act together. It's why you don't build your damn program around one and done transfers. It's the same disadvantage bringing in one and done players has without the benefit of having NBA quality players. He has no clue how to put together a team nor any idea how to build a program. And nothing about the play on the court this year changes that.

And regarding the extension. After the stunt pulled last time of extending him and then not revealing that you also reset the buyout until you tried to fire him, if you're okay with him getting an extension, regardless of effect on the buyout, you deserve to watch this team go winless next year. How about making him actually earn the extension this time instead of just giving it to him because you don't have the money to fire him?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Midtown Jacket. I spent most of the season saying it was time for him to go because he didn't seem to be building anything. However, I have been excited watching them over that 10 or so games, and they seem to have finally gotten over the hump of losing the single digit games. Yes I know that he will be graduating the core of this year's team, but I am willing to see if he can build on it and recruit some young talent (or lure some transfers here). Also, this is the first 20+ win team, and this was in a conference that has a record 6 teams in the sweet 16 (and could possibly have had 7, if Louisville hadn't screwed the pooch, or whatever it was), and we beat a couple of them during the year and played most of the others very close. We also just manhandled a team that a lot of people said should have been in the big tourney.

I say give him one more year to prove he can capitalize on what was accomplished this year. Having said that, if Bobinski decides to go in another direction, I won't cry.

He is going to get the additional year. No doubt about it