Okay folks its time

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It isn't about figuring out the rotation or figuring out none of the pgs are worth anything in the ACC.

It's about how the roster was put together. Smith, Jacobs, and White are all new. Hunt and Mitchell had only been playing together for a year. When your top 5 guys, who none save Hunt are great players, have that little experience playing together of course it's going to take time for them to get their act together. It's why you don't build your damn program around one and done transfers. It's the same disadvantage bringing in one and done players has without the benefit of having NBA quality players. He has no clue how to put together a team nor any idea how to build a program. And nothing about the play on the court this year changes that.

And regarding the extension. After the stunt pulled last time of extending him and then not revealing that you also reset the buyout until you tried to fire him, if you're okay with him getting an extension, regardless of effect on the buyout, you deserve to watch this team go winless next year. How about making him actually earn the extension this time instead of just giving it to him because you don't have the money to fire him?
I think the first comment was aimed to dispute my post, so I'll just add.... I think the answer is BOTH are issues. It is absolutely about figuring out the rotation AND how the roster was put together (the latter is what you're suggesting). The two are not mutually exclusive.

Let's not ignore simply telling guys what they can/cannot do on the court based on their strengths/weaknesses. Go figure - our bigs have taken fewer mid-range jumpers lately and our offensive efficiency has gone up. That doesn't take time to figure out. Neither does figuring out what Jorg and Heath are capable of doing. I know teams that figure out their true frosh quicker than our coach figured out our two PGs who have been here how long? How about Tadric jacking 3's and settling? The lack of speed at which these examples were addressed has nothing to do with the number of offseason transfers.

Ultimately I agree - taking in transfers to stay afloat is another reason he doesn't deserve more time. If BG/MBob use that excuse for the first 2/3 of the year, then they're digging their own graves. If they want to celebrate it as a strategy that worked and results in NITs, then more power to them, I know plenty of mid-majors who will appreciate that. This run we're on has me thinking "What if" moreso that "OMG, we're finally playing above average basketball".

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
This year the team and Gregory also had the benefit of using the 1 in 4 years international trip, which came with 10 summer practices to prepare. Although there were players who could not participate, this gave extra teaching, evaluation and bonding time for this season.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It isn't about figuring out the rotation or figuring out none of the pgs are worth anything in the ACC.

It's about how the roster was put together. Smith, Jacobs, and White are all new. Hunt and Mitchell had only been playing together for a year. When your top 5 guys, who none save Hunt are great players, have that little experience playing together of course it's going to take time for them to get their act together. It's why you don't build your damn program around one and done transfers. It's the same disadvantage bringing in one and done players has without the benefit of having NBA quality players. He has no clue how to put together a team nor any idea how to build a program. And nothing about the play on the court this year changes that.

And regarding the extension. After the stunt pulled last time of extending him and then not revealing that you also reset the buyout until you tried to fire him, if you're okay with him getting an extension, regardless of effect on the buyout, you deserve to watch this team go winless next year. How about making him actually earn the extension this time instead of just giving it to him because you don't have the money to fire him?

I agree with most of this, but Smith is a great player too. I'm not sure where we'd be without him this year. That guy is one of the best shooters I've ever seen. Not many people can make contested jumpers like that or create their own shot on step backs. He's pretty special.

That doesn't change the fact that he's only here a year though. I agree that it's the same issue we face with one and dones. Those tend to work out really well when you have a good nucleus of players that have been around a while, but can use one year of a special guy to fill a small void. Not so much when you're filling an entire roster.

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
If entertainment value is worth anything and if game attendance is worth anything in terms of watching on TV and in person then I'm enjoying Tech basketball more today than I have in the past 10 years.
Right now it seems like the biggest issue is that there is a huge lack of fan support. Today is the only day we will ever have today... Few seem to recognize the great actions that have happened on the court this past year, how this team has overcome a culture of losing and pulled together from coming from very diverse places. We were an Adam Smith 3 ... on 3 attempts... in Louisville from tying the game. If that had turned into a win we would be in the NCAA...and should have been anyways. 5 wins against the top 50 should do it. But that's fine. As a fan base we are smart enough to know 10-8 agaist the wakes and Bc's of the conference is not as impressive as 8-10 vs the unc and nd's of the conference. I hope we have success with CBG.

OTOH I will also be happy if we hire the second coming of CBC...A 34 yr old protege that can capture a 5 star recruit every year. But let's not settle for anything else and support the team regardless.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I dont know the financial end of it. I have always felt Gregory was a placeholder. Really it's just a matter of time.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
MBob said he would sit down and review the season after the team finished playing. It is my experience that he probably has already made up his mind. The wait was important for the team and allowed them to focus on playing the games. But that is done.

The coaching carousel is already turning, so time is an important element with this move (if he plans to make it). I think we will hear something very soon.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
MBob said he would sit down and review the season after the team finished playing. It is my experience that he probably has already made up his mind. The wait was important for the team and allowed them to focus on playing the games. But that is done.

The coaching carousel is already turning, so time is an important element with this move (if he plans to make it). I think we will hear something very soon.
This is a friendly question.....

What makes you think we will hear something soon from MBob? I have a memory (I admit it may be a false memory) that we waited an agonizingly long time to here from him on two previous decisions -one involving CBG and the other involving CPJ.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am expecting word one way or the other on Monday.
No decision will be made public until he has his year end review with the HC. I'm thinking that is likely to be done by end of the week.
Firing decisions are generally not announced when NCAA games are going on - NCAA doesn't like any focus taken off the games. '
So that makes Monday the likely date.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think bg is a solid individual coach despite what some say i will rely on the knowledge of a friend of mine who was the head coach of a big east team for 8 years.

However. I think his assistants can be upgraded.

And i think if he doesnt start recruiting better we need to move on.

All of those are under the moniker coach. You cant lack in one of the three main areas and be successful

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think bg is a solid individual coach despite what some say i will rely on the knowledge of a friend of mine who was the head coach of a big east team for 8 years.

However. I think his assistants can be upgraded.

And i think if he doesnt start recruiting better we need to move on.

All of those are under the moniker coach. You cant lack in one of the three main areas and be successful
I think an assistant can be upgraded. I've been pleased with CTH, both from a recruiting and in-game perspective. N'diaye has done a really nice job with Lammers IMO - I'll be anxious to see the improvement in Ogbonda's game next year after redshirting. Chad Dollar is the one who I've yet to see any return from.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Mark price would likely take job cheap enough to make it work for finances. Just saying...

If we fire CBG, the only reason to do so is to get a more qualified name coach.

If Peterson, the actual CEO, fires CBG and then makes a move like this we are paying for 3 HC that are not who we need.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a friendly question.....

What makes you think we will hear something soon from MBob? I have a memory (I admit it may be a false memory) that we waited an agonizingly long time to here from him on two previous decisions -one involving CBG and the other involving CPJ.
He needs to have someone in place for mid-April when grassroots basketball starts. We must have a presence on the recruiting trail immediately.

@33jacket @ramblinwreck1378 - I agree with that sentiment. I'll give Dollar plenty of credit for many of the players on the team & coming in because he did recruit them, but it's either him, BG, or a combination that have let other kids slip out of state. Getting some new director level types may also make sense.

@Lawyer mark - Had Mark Price not taken a head coaching job, I'd be more willing to roll the dice on him. Now that he's taken a job, he needs to prove out a track record. He's trending in the right direction, but needs more time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Changing assistants is deck chairs off the Hindenberg at this point. We've seen enough (losing) to know what we have here. We should not be a nibbling program.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Changing assistants is deck chairs off the Hindenberg at this point. We've seen enough (losing) to know what we have here. We should not be a nibbling program.
+1...I've said it before and I'll say it again, in 13 seasons as HC, Gregory has gotten his team to the NCAA tourney TWICE. He is what he is...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
File this under the 'ah, man that hurt' column. Funny(sic) exchange I noted while perusing the Dayton board
Sea Bass: IMO if Cronin leaves UC it will be a result of the fact that they are not really upset by his exit.

CJ2etc: We call this "the Brian Gregory".

:(