OK - We now have our Dabo...

Deleted member 2897

I think Dabo should get some credit, but I think DRad should get most.
Clemson wins prior to DRad: 8, 8, 9, 7, 9, 6, 10
With DRad: 11, 11, 10, 14, 14, 12, 13+

Dabo won 9, 6, and 10 games prior to DRad.
Now if we look at the spending of Clemson over time (thanks @BCJacket ) DRad looks to be responsible for some incredible growth in football spending. 2012 seems to be where the arms race began, and GT was not a part of it. I think Collins has a chance to be great for Tech, but we have to surround him with an excellent staff and support from the administration.
upload_2018-12-8_15-16-8-png.4719

So basically went from competing with NC State for dead last on spending to competing with NC State and Wake Forest for dead last. Sad.

If you’re UNC you should be embarrassed.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not only did the $$$$$ wars heat up in 2012.....the APR did the same in 2011.......but everything is CPJs fault:rolleyes:.
Without a huge infusion of spending, many posters here are going to be disappointed.

Animal. I am not being sarcastic when i ask this. But what do you mean that apr heated up in 2011? APR started in 2003. Did something additional happen in 2011 i missed?

Both chan and cpj have had to deal with that new standard.

Animal02

Banned
Animal. I am not being sarcastic when i ask this. But what do you mean that apr heated up in 2011? APR started in 2003. Did something additional happen in 2011 i missed?

Heated may have been a little much.....they APR requirements were toughened in 2011. As others have posted.....the APR requirements adversely hurt schools like Tech over schools that offer soft degrees like turf management.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some of you should consider reading James Franklin's resume. I think Collins compares very favorably to him in many ways. Franklin took Vandy ( you know , in the SEC ?) to 3 bowls in 3 years when they hadn't been to any since dirt. Why ? Because he was , and still is , a relentless recruiter. He is tireless and never stops promoting the BRAND at PSU. He was from Pa. and has now come home to coach.

I lived near Nashville up until recently. I experienced first hand the difference in energy level that he brought to Vandy FB. I saw the 4 guys before him. And their current guy. There WAS a marked and palpable difference. No doubt that the other 5 guys weren't good men who knew FB. But Franklin brought the sizzle along with the steak. Of course, that style looks ridiculous without the results.

I also remember Cremins at GT...the knock on him was that he wasn't a great X's and O's guy but he could recruit and sell the program...to the players, the city and the nation, and to the media. GT BB tix were hard to come by in his day and Cremins brought in "sidewalk" fans like nobody before or since.

I love a guy who can integrate high energy AND positive results. (JF's record at Vandy has to be looked at in context).

Animal02

Banned
One thing that really hit me that Coach Collins said in his press conference was how he views our stringent academic restrictions as a HUGE POSITIVE. This is what you get with a new set of eyes outside the circle. He said the average shelf life of an NFL player is 3.5 years, so you need a real degree to help you enjoy the next 40 years after that.

It’s a subtle tweak to what people have said, but I think it makes all the difference in the world. (IMHO)
He needs to combine that with the fact that only 2% make it to the big league in the first place.
Problem starts with parents, relatives and friends that all are telling these kids they are probably material. Most probably have a better shot appearing on Broadway.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Heated may have been a little much.....they APR requirements were toughened in 2011. As others have posted.....the APR requirements adversely hurt schools like Tech over schools that offer soft degrees like turf management.

The lack of flexibility in a tech major is our issue. We are way more rigorous with our pre requisite structure of a major than most schools. Thats what kills us. It was done that way for low retention and weed out classes as pinch points. But at tech now retention is high. They are trying to keep kids in school. So for me if they loosen that structure up there would be more class flexibility in progress towards a degree and allow all kids to have flexibility.

That alone would totally ease apr for us. Little tweaks. Not major overhauls can help

Was not aware they made apr tougher in 2011. Will have to read about what they did

Animal02

Banned
I lived near Nashville up until recently. I experienced first hand the difference in energy level that he brought to Vandy FB. I saw the 4 guys before him. And their current guy. There WAS a marked and palpable difference. No doubt that the other 5 guys weren't good men who knew FB. But Franklin brought the sizzle along with the steak. Of course, that style looks ridiculous without the results.

I also remember Cremins at GT...the knock on him was that he wasn't a great X's and O's guy but he could recruit and sell the program...to the players, the city and the nation, and to the media. GT BB tix were hard to come by in his day and Cremins brought in "sidewalk" fans like nobody before or since.

I love a guy who can integrate high energy AND positive results. (JF's record at Vandy has to be looked at in context).
Cremins had the connections into NY recruiting IIRC........and elsewhere in the country.

Animal02

Banned
I
The lack of flexibility in a tech major is our issue. We are way more rigorous with our pre requisite structure of a major than most schools. Thats what kills us. It was done that way for low retention and weed out classes as pinch points. But at tech now retention is high. They are trying to keep kids in school. So for me if they loosen that structure up there would be more class flexibility in progress towards a degree and allow all kids to have flexibility.

That alone would totally ease apr for us. Little tweaks. Not major overhauls can help

Was not aware they made apr tougher in 2011. Will have to read about what they did
know they increased it from 925 to 930....not sure if there were other tweaks.
The calculus, whether it is the easy or hard version is a huge negative imo. Regardless if people that post here think it is nothing.
People that have not attended school anywhere else don't seem to have a clue how tough Tech is. For example, my wife's University allows students to drop the class up to the LAST DAY of class.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Disclaimer: I am CPJ guy, and I wanted Monken... That said:

CGC reminds me of CDS when he was hired at Clemson - rah rah, high energy, a little clownish, but very likable... Many of us didn't think CDS would last, but he has achieved as much as one could hope for - he's turned Clemson into a jet engine fueled with enormous sums of cash, an aggressive AD, the best coaches and facilities that money can buy, and a University with places to hide average students...

I think this is a good opportunity to see how the Dabo approach works at Tech - if my assumption that CGC and CDS are faithful approximations of the same thing, then the principal remaining variable is the institution that is their employer...

A lot of people have clamored for the "beat them at their own game" approach and I think this is the experiment we will be witnessing for the next few years... While I find NFL style offenses mind-numbingly boring, as a Tech alumnus and a die hard fan, I truly hope you're right and we ascend to the ranks of the elite...

If, however, we are not successful, I hope we will remember the fact that running the option actually served us quite well...

Couple of thoughts on this. First, Dabo had never been a HC or, as far as I know, a coordinator at a major program. So equating CGC with him only considers enthusiasm and your perception of his approach so no, i don't think your assumption is correct. Second, no matter what we do financially we will not spend the $$ on football that Clemson does nor will our academic requirements ever be such that we will recruit the same guys by and large. Finally if you think that "NFL style offenses" are boring i would suggest you haven't seen much NFL football. Anyone who would call the KC, LA, NO or NE offenses boring has a strange idea of what is exciting IMO. Besides what CGC said he would do would run both an offense and defense that allows players to learn and show the skills that they would use in the NFL. That includes RPO and other "option" type plays that you see every Sunday.

BTW, i love the option as well and like CPJ as a representative of Tech. However the NCAA is clearly implementing rule changes that will make our style of offense obsolete in the next few years. Every one of CPJs disciples who is coaching has made changes to the base offense that Paul never made. They see the writing on the wall in that they have to evolve to continue to use their base offense. I'm not sure Paul was interested in fighting it any longer.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I apologize if I missed it, but is there data that shows the correlation (or lack thereof) between spending and winning percentage? Everyone assumes there’s a positive correlation, but I’d be interested to see the data.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Shouldn’t be too hard to figure out I don’t want to spend the time. But who spends the most in the SEC? AL, LSU, Ga...who spends the most in the ACC? Clemson. Money buys nice facilities which recruits like. It also buys recruiting staff, QC staff to break down film and find tendencies and weaknesses of opponents and time for self scouting, etc.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
I apologize if I missed it, but is there data that shows the correlation (or lack thereof) between spending and winning percentage? Everyone assumes there’s a positive correlation, but I’d be interested to see the data.
You can probably find several programs that spend a lot of money who don't perform well. However, I would doubt that there are many near the top of the rankings who do not have a large budget.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

The APR rules changed. I am not familiar with the specifics. APR in 2003 is not the same as it is today.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I have only asserted that their is a correlation between spending and recruiting. That does have a correlation that @BCJacket has exhibited in another thread.

As for winning percentage, recruiting rankings do not correlate 1-1 with winning percentage, but if you look at the four teams in the playoffs, they are all in the top 15 year over year.

slugboy

Staff member
Of course, it could be that teams that win more and have higher attendance have bigger budgets and more success recruiting. It’s certainly easier to recruit with a lot of fans, and fans inflate your budget.
Probably a virtuous cycle. I’m not sure how much it takes to get the cycle started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Of course, it could be that teams that win more and have higher attendance have bigger budgets and more success recruiting. It’s certainly easier to recruit with a lot of fans, and fans inflate your budget.
Probably a virtuous cycle. I’m not sure how much it takes to get the cycle started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It makes sense for budget and attendance to be almost tied directly. It also makes sense for money and fans to make recruiting easier.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Good News, Ga fans are already upset at us. It didn’t take long but they think CGC’s took a shot at their academics and they apparently don’t like the fact red ink is now banned.

I love it ! Wonder why they would yell like a scalded Dawg about academics ? Then again THWG

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Good News, Ga fans are already upset at us. It didn’t take long but they think CGC’s took a shot at their academics and they apparently don’t like the fact red ink is now banned.

I love it ! Wonder why they would yell like a scalded Dawg about academics ? Then again THWG

Yeah i saw that on Twitter. They were making themselves look even dumber than they normally do.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member