OK - We now have our Dabo...

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Disclaimer: I am CPJ guy, and I wanted Monken... That said:

CGC reminds me of CDS when he was hired at Clemson - rah rah, high energy, a little clownish, but very likable... Many of us didn't think CDS would last, but he has achieved as much as one could hope for - he's turned Clemson into a jet engine fueled with enormous sums of cash, an aggressive AD, the best coaches and facilities that money can buy, and a University with places to hide average students...

I think this is a good opportunity to see how the Dabo approach works at Tech - if my assumption that CGC and CDS are faithful approximations of the same thing, then the principal remaining variable is the institution that is their employer...

A lot of people have clamored for the "beat them at their own game" approach and I think this is the experiment we will be witnessing for the next few years... While I find NFL style offenses mind-numbingly boring, as a Tech alumnus and a die hard fan, I truly hope you're right and we ascend to the ranks of the elite...

If, however, we are not successful, I hope we will remember the fact that running the option actually served us quite well...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

CGC reminds me of CDS when he was hired at Clemson - rah rah, high energy, a little clownish, but very likable... Many of us didn't think CDS would last, but he has achieved as much as one could hope for - he's turned Clemson into a jet engine fueled with enormous sums of cash, an aggressive AD, the best coaches and facilities that money can buy, and a University with places to hide average students...

I think this is a good opportunity to see how the Dabo approach works at Tech - if my assumption that CGC and CDS are faithful approximations of the same thing, then the principal remaining variable is the institution that is their employer...

A lot of people have clamored for the "beat them at their own game" approach and I think this is the experiment we will be witnessing for the next few years... While I find NFL style offenses mind-numbingly boring, as a Tech alumnus and a die hard fan, I truly hope you're right and we ascend to the ranks of the elite...

If, however, we are not successful, I hope we will remember the fact that running the option actually served us quite well...
I think Dabo should get some credit, but I think DRad should get most.
Clemson wins prior to DRad: 8, 8, 9, 7, 9, 6, 10
With DRad: 11, 11, 10, 14, 14, 12, 13+

Dabo won 9, 6, and 10 games prior to DRad.
Now if we look at the spending of Clemson over time (thanks @BCJacket ) DRad looks to be responsible for some incredible growth in football spending. 2012 seems to be where the arms race began, and GT was not a part of it. I think Collins has a chance to be great for Tech, but we have to surround him with an excellent staff and support from the administration.
upload_2018-12-8_15-16-8-png.4719

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Hey guys, please help keep this thread on topic.

Pro-CPJ folks, I understand that you guys believe that he was best for GT but he did retire. You all have been the optimists of the bunch and it would be great to see that continue into the CGC era. I know I will support CGC as much as I can as I did CPJ.

Anti-CPJ folks, there's really no need to go out of your way to bash CPJ anymore. Everyone gets it; you disagree with his media relations, recruiting, and/or offense so wanted him gone. From the recent polls here and comments, there are many that have respect for CPJ. Doesn't mean they don't like CGC and doesn't mean you have to go tear down CPJ in response.

Lastly, the mocking and condescension is really getting out of hand and there's really only a few of you who are causing it. If you have received more than three warnings since you joined, please consider yourself at risk for a permanent ban. And no, you did not get warning(s) from us because of your opinion.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Now if we look at the spending of Clemson over time (thanks @BCJacket ) DRad looks to be responsible for some incredible growth in football spending. 2012 seems to be where the arms race began, and GT was not a part of it. I think Collins has a chance to be great for Tech, but we have to surround him with an excellent staff and support from the administration.
Thanks for the content.
The other legs are the income from basket ball and our wasted spending. In basketball merchandise at the Academey Sports in Pensacola, Duke and Unc basketball are sold Alabama is in football. Our "BRAND" is in the toilet. Basketball is a money pit for these schools.

Our Contracts for COACHES THAT NEVER COACHED AGAIN have sucked vital $ away from gtaa.

In next 4 years I hope we can recruit better in basketball so we are "kind of competitive " with these programs and seen as knocking at the door.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not only did the $$$$$ wars heat up in 2012.....the APR did the same in 2011.......but everything is CPJs fault:rolleyes:.
Without a huge infusion of spending, many posters here are going to be disappointed.
... and many are all talk... No spend... Hell even $20 or $50 a year helps and beats the hell out of only complaining.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I do and will but without coach it wont seem the same.
He, thru genius and the force of will has overcome the lack of a large pool of knowledgable and talented ast coaches .

It will be interesting to see if hope more major div 1 teams start running the offense .

I support this bold move like I did when we dropped low energy CG . Wife was glad because I was so critical of CG. I promised to not any thing negative for 2 years. .

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the content.
The other legs are the income from basket ball and our wasted spending. In basketball merchandise at the Academey Sports in Pensacola, Duke and Unc basketball are sold Alabama is in football. Our "BRAND" is in the toilet. Basketball is a money pit for these schools.

Our Contracts for COACHES THAT NEVER COACHED AGAIN have sucked vital $ away from gtaa.

In next 4 years I hope we can recruit better in basketball so we are "kind of competitive " with these programs and seen as knocking at the door.

Totally agree. In my hometown as a kid, it was 50/50 Auburn-Alabama. All the shops carried both with equal enthusiasm. Today? It’s Alabama-LSU. For fun, I asked about an Auburn coffee cup and why they didn’t have any on display. “They don’t sell.”

In Knoxville, every hotel seems to have a Volshop to sell merchandise. GT? Who knows?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Hey guys, please help keep this thread on topic.

Pro-CPJ folks, I understand that you guys believe that he was best for GT but he did retire. You all have been the optimists of the bunch and it would be great to see that continue into the CGC era. I know I will support CGC as much as I can as I did CPJ.

Anti-CPJ folks, there's really no need to go out of your way to bash CPJ anymore. Everyone gets it; you disagree with his media relations, recruiting, and/or offense so wanted him gone. From the recent polls here and comments, there are many that have respect for CPJ. Doesn't mean they don't like CGC and doesn't mean you have to go tear down CPJ in response.

Lastly, the mocking and condescension is really getting out of hand and there's really only a few of you who are causing it. If you have received more than three warnings since you joined, please consider yourself at risk for a permanent ban. And no, you did not get warning(s) from us because of your opinion.

Thank you!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. In my hometown as a kid, it was 50/50 Auburn-Alabama. All the shops carried both with equal enthusiasm. Today? It’s Alabama-LSU. For fun, I asked about an Auburn coffee cup and why they didn’t have any on display. “They don’t sell.”

In Knoxville, every hotel seems to have a Volshop to sell merchandise. GT? Who knows?
At gt we specialize in talking DOWN about uga grads working at some lower class easy job while we Tech guys do great things.
Then we send recruiter to recruit a kid whose mom that working that lower class easy job. Or we wonder why our merchandise doesn't sell.

What we should be saying is we graduate (86%) our players into great jobs while uga only graduates 50 % . With all the tutoring and easy courses, the ones that DON'T make it have a very limited upside.

I think gt has a better image with regular folks out side of ga. At a college merchandise shop in Columbus ga, the amount of gt merchandise was minuscule compared to other programs .

By the way there are plenty of talented people who went to other schools that become very successful. Near Fleas motor home in W21 are a number of non tech business guys w fancy motor homes.

Sales rule
Never talk down

Last edited:

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I would give more credit to Dabo hiring Brent Venables as DC in 2012 than anything DRad did.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
At gt we specialize in talking DOWN about uga grads working at some lower class easy job while we Tech guys do great things.
Then we send recruiter to recruit a kid whose mom that working that lower class easy job. Or we wonder why our merchandise doesn't sell.

What we should be saying is we graduate (86%) our players into great jobs while uga only graduates 50 % . With all the tutoring and easy courses, the ones that DON'T make it have a very limited upside.

I think gt has a better image with regular folks out side of ga. At a college merchandise shop in Columbus ga, the amount of gt merchandise was minuscule compared to other programs .

By the way there are plenty of talented people who went to other schools that become very successful. Near Fleas motor home in W21 are a number of non tech business guys w fancy motor homes.

Sales rule
Never talk down
Excellent !

slugboy

Staff member

Sales rule
Never talk down

Or we could just stop talking about our competition entirely. It’s boring to bad mouth someone else, and it’s like saying that there’s nothing positive about your team and fans so you have to talk trash about someone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Some of you should consider reading James Franklin's resume. I think Collins compares very favorably to him in many ways. Franklin took Vandy ( you know , in the SEC ?) to 3 bowls in 3 years when they hadn't been to any since dirt. Why ? Because he was , and still is , a relentless recruiter. He is tireless and never stops promoting the BRAND at PSU. He was from Pa. and has now come home to coach.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I do and will but without coach it wont seem the same.
He, thru genius and the force of will has overcome the lack of a large pool of knowledgable and talented ast coaches .

It will be interesting to see if hope more major div 1 teams start running the offense .

I support this bold move like I did when we dropped low energy CG . Wife was glad because I was so critical of CG. I promised to not any thing negative for 2 years. .
We now have that in writing .....LOL :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Deleted member 2897

One thing that really hit me that Coach Collins said in his press conference was how he views our stringent academic restrictions as a HUGE POSITIVE. This is what you get with a new set of eyes outside the circle. He said the average shelf life of an NFL player is 3.5 years, so you need a real degree to help you enjoy the next 40 years after that.

It’s a subtle tweak to what people have said, but I think it makes all the difference in the world. (IMHO)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing that really hit me that Coach Collins said in his press conference was how he views our stringent academic restrictions as a HUGE POSITIVE. This is what you get with a new set of eyes outside the circle. He said the average shelf life of an NFL player is 3.5 years, so you need a real degree to help you enjoy the next 40 years after that.

It’s a subtle tweak to what people have said, but I think it makes all the difference in the world. (IMHO)

Some on here have been saying that for years...ahem...:whistle:

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

Totally agree .