Ok Brilliant Engineers....

Animal02

Banned
I guess I am one of those purists. Why is it required to jettison the uniqueness of Georgia Tech? We have been up and down for 100 years, but I don't think we were cheating to win four national championships. And I realize this isn't 1957 any more, but there are players out there that can play and do well in the classroom. The last time I checked, we offer the high tech education that many kids want to be a part of.
The NFLkeeps tanking, there could be a return to the days where a top notch degree was the most important thing when picking a school...why GT, Duke, Army, Navy, etc were the powers

Animal02

Banned
This is a very "Techno-centric"post. I teach math. Have taught now for a couple of years at two schools now (one public,one private) at both ends of the socio-economic spectrum. teaching is my second career. Believe it or not, there are high school kids who struggle to graph a linear equation. A few years ago, I wouldn't have believed it either. What made calculus hard at Tech wasn't the material but the quality (pun intended) of the "teaching" we endured.

WTBS, you could teach calculus such that a child with reasonably good algebra II skills could do well.It's all about the intensity and pace that determines the difficulty if you will.
It is not just calculus. Last time I checked, Tech offered around 35 different degrees, all in a narrow band of fields.A school like Michigan State offers around 150.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It is not just calculus. Last time I checked, Tech offered around 35 different degrees, all in a narrow band of fields.A school like Michigan State offers around 150.

A few years back I did a comparison of the number of major offered by schools that are known for their academics and athletics. The closest to Tech offered over DOUBLE the number of majors offered at Tech

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

That’s because Georgia Tech is an Institute, whereas Michigan State is a land grant university. Totally different animal.

LibertyTurns

Banned
GT is #51 in revenue, good enough for no better than 8th in the ACC (Note: Only 8 ACC schools reported so we were dead last in those reporting) . Not sure how many of you all are in business, but you’d better have some secret sauce if your top competition is generating 60% more revenue than you are AND you expect to beat them head to head each year in something other than a niche part of the business sector.

There’s a way to be highly competitive, but if you all think it’s the singular act of hiring some mythical coach than can prance in here & spread magic pixie dust on the program & we’re suddenly going to turn into 1950’s Dodd’s boys you are probably going to be frustrated. A complete strategic plan needs to be formulated & a highly capable team needs to be assembled to execute it if GT desires to be regularly athletically competitive. Our only other option is trying to “moneyball” our way to good seasons because that’s where we’re at right now.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

jacob

Banned
GT is #51 in revenue, good enough for no better than 8th in the ACC (Note: Only 8 ACC schools reported so we were dead last in those reporting) . Not sure how many of you all are in business, but you’d better have some secret sauce if your top competition is generating 60% more revenue than you are AND you expect to beat them head to head each year in something other than a niche part of the business sector.

There’s a way to be highly competitive, but if you all think it’s the singular act of hiring some mythical coach than can prance in here & spread magic pixie dust on the program & we’re suddenly going to turn into 1950’s Dodd’s boys you are probably going to be frustrated. A complete strategic plan needs to be formulated & a highly capable team needs to be assembled to execute it if GT desires to be regularly athletically competitive. Our only other option is trying to “moneyball” our way to good seasons because that’s where we’re at right now.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
I've heard Stansbury is trying to put together that team

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I guess I am one of those purists. Why is it required to jettison the uniqueness of Georgia Tech? We have been up and down for 100 years, but I don't think we were cheating to win four national championships. And I realize this isn't 1957 any more, but there are players out there that can play and do well in the classroom. The last time I checked, we offer the high tech education that many kids want to be a part of.

Do you want a good football team that can compete with Clemson and Georgia? Something has to be done to level the recruiting field otherwise we are looking at becoming a third tier program in the near future. It is really that simple. This is a matter of the proverbial Jimmys and Joes. We do not get nearly enough difference makers. At any rate, as I stated earlier the Hill and the BOR are not about to change Georgia Tech's precious uniqueness so that we will continue to scrap from what is left over of Georgia prep talent once UGA, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee and other poachers have had the pick of the litter.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I am a purist, too, but very, very, very few big nasties (DLs with motors over 300lb) that would fit your last sentence. Bottomline, the difference in tier 1 (Bammer, Clem'son) and the rest.

Lots of teams these days can move the football and put up video game stats but the elite programs almost always have one characteristic not found in the wanna bes of the second tier. A rock solid defense with 300 lbs tackles and huge athletic defensive ends that are about as fast as our A backs. We don't have those guys but then neither do the vast majority of our competitors because they are few and far between.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Do you want a good football team that can compete with Clemson and Georgia? Something has to be done to level the recruiting field otherwise we are looking at becoming a third tier program in the near future. It is really that simple. This is a matter of the proverbial Jimmys and Joes. We do not get nearly enough difference makers. At any rate, as I stated earlier the Hill and the BOR are not about to change Georgia Tech's precious uniqueness so that we will continue to scrap from what is left over of Georgia prep talent once UGA, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee and other poachers have had the pick of the litter.

Third tier? Seriously? I fully and seriously disagree with that conclusion. Facts do not support in any way that assertion. Not elite? Agreed. Third tier? In no way, shape, form or fashion.

Animal02

Banned
That’s because Georgia Tech is an Institute, whereas Michigan State is a land grant university. Totally different animal.
And you point? The fact remains, Tech offers a narrow scope of degree programs, unlike most schools in the country.......Don't want to piss in your cornflakes, but the majority of people do not want to major in engineering or the other STEM degrees that Tech offers.

Animal02

Banned
Lots of teams these days can move the football and put up video game stats but the elite programs almost always have one characteristic not found in the wanna bes of the second tier. A rock solid defense with 300 lbs tackles and huge athletic defensive ends that are about as fast as our A backs and are on the fast track to the NFL....education be damned,. We don't have those guys but then neither do the vast majority of our competitors because they are few and far between.

FTFY