Ok Brilliant Engineers....

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
A few of you need not get so defensive. An introductory probability and stats course and an intro to reasoning course, in lieu of calc for majors not in the hard sciences, would not be akin to adding basket-weaving and the like to the curriculum core requirements. And no one said anything about adding majors into which athletes could be hidden.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
George O'Leary had five consecutive years of finishing in the AP Top 25 poll. Johnson has had back to back AP final poll ranked teams only once--2008 -2009--his first two GT teams-- with Gailey's recruits.

The problem is recruiting. This offense gives an advantage of being unique, but that uniqueness is a disadvantage in recruiting. That, and the fact that the coaches who came with Johnson from Navy were not and are not good recruiters, and he won't replace them.

The talent delta between GT and Clemson--and going forward Georgie--cannot be overcome with better execution, despite Johnson's post game comments last night. The same was true for Miami, as we saw in the second half after they made adjustments.

And before we get the "O'Leary got unqualified kids into school" comment, flunkgate happened under Gailey due to Gailey's failure to monitor academics. George did not have any more problems keeping players in school than other coaches. Further, it is now easier to stay at GT than ever. GT brags about it's 97% retention rate--a far cry from the 50% when I was a freshman. We also have liberal arts majors that we didn't have 20 years ago

Your opinion has no basis in fact. The only coach to have a 3 win season --or anything close to it since the Lewis mess was cleaned up--is Johnson.
Bingo!! as long as johnson is our head coach recruiting will remain about an "F" (fair) grade. High school kids just don't want to play in his system, and some do not like his approach ( personality ). With johnson in control Tech will remain a 7/5 , 8/4 average followed by a no name bowl. Most Tech fans are OK with this.

jacob

Banned
Either CPJ needs to tell Stansbury he needs 5 to 10 more recruiters or we may need a new coach soley to get better at recruting which can definitely happen.

jacob

Banned
https://247sports.com/Season/2007-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Whatever we did to make this happen needs to be done every year. String together classes like this and we are a “factory.”

We were able to land a top 15 class despite not being nationally relevant for six years. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to do that off of an Orange Bowl win.
Exactly my thinking. But hey get ready for all the CPJ people telling you about APR and all this crap

1. It aint 1952 anymore. College football changed in the 70's.
2. Read O'Leary had us in great shape. Yes we were good in 1998 and 2000. He also went 5-6,6-5, 7-5.
3. Georgia Tech is never going to get the players that Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, etc get.
4. CPJ is the best thing I have seen for Tech in my 48 years of watching Tech games. We always come into the game with the chance to win.
5. Always read, that offense is the problem, well let's go back and get Chan and run his pro style.....17 points per game....or Bill Lewis and the wide open pass happy offense.....yea saw that.
6. Georgia looks good, but if you examine their schedule so far they have beaten only one team with a winning record.
7. Give it time the worm turns, Saban will retire and Dabo will go to Bama. Clemson will then come back to earth.
8. Fact is we should be 6-1 right now and frankly we are pretty good.

I did not expect giant things from us this year, just about 8-9 wins. It is next year that should be a 10-11 win year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
https://247sports.com/Season/2007-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Whatever we did to make this happen needs to be done every year. String together classes like this and we are a “factory.”

We were able to land a top 15 class despite not being nationally relevant for six years. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to do that off of an Orange Bowl win.
Wow. Even though we lost to Iowa in on, I was not embarrassed. After game my guest from Fla power said we had some really great players and that it was just Iowa's day.
What a class

stech81

Helluva Engineer
1. It aint 1952 anymore. College football changed in the 70's.
2. Read O'Leary had us in great shape. Yes we were good in 1998 and 2000. He also went 5-6,6-5, 7-5.
3. Georgia Tech is never going to get the players that Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, etc get.
4. CPJ is the best thing I have seen for Tech in my 48 years of watching Tech games. We always come into the game with the chance to win.
5. Always read, that offense is the problem, well let's go back and get Chan and run his pro style.....17 points per game....or Bill Lewis and the wide open pass happy offense.....yea saw that.
6. Georgia looks good, but if you examine their schedule so far they have beaten only one team with a winning record.
7. Give it time the worm turns, Saban will retire and Dabo will go to Bama. Clemson will then come back to earth.
8. Fact is we should be 6-1 right now and frankly we are pretty good.

I did not expect giant things from us this year, just about 8-9 wins. It is next year that should be a 10-11 win year.
I agree with all but number 7 anyone who follows Saban will not make the Alabama fan happy. I don't think Dabo would leave Clemson.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Top five in rushing and bottom five in passing is not a sustainable mix against good defenses. It's also not a good statistic when you want to recruit good WRs...

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not a CPJ hater and I was definitely NOT a CCG fan, but 2007 clearly shows you can recruit elite talent to Tech.

My understanding is CPJ gets more exceptions now than we did then. Why can we not even finish top 25 in recruiting now?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
George O'Leary had five consecutive years of finishing in the AP Top 25 poll. Johnson has had back to back AP final poll ranked teams only once--2008 -2009--his first two GT teams-- with Gailey's recruits.

The problem is recruiting. This offense gives an advantage of being unique, but that uniqueness is a disadvantage in recruiting. That, and the fact that the coaches who came with Johnson from Navy were not and are not good recruiters, and he won't replace them.

The talent delta between GT and Clemson--and going forward Georgie--cannot be overcome with better execution, despite Johnson's post game comments last night. The same was true for Miami, as we saw in the second half after they made adjustments.

And before we get the "O'Leary got unqualified kids into school" comment, flunkgate happened under Gailey due to Gailey's failure to monitor academics. George did not have any more problems keeping players in school than other coaches. Further, it is now easier to stay at GT than ever. GT brags about it's 97% retention rate--a far cry from the 50% when I was a freshman. We also have liberal arts majors that we didn't have 20 years ago

Your opinion has no basis in fact. The only coach to have a 3 win season --or anything close to it since the Lewis mess was cleaned up--is Johnson.
Couple things. If you’re going to say Miami made adjustments, fine. But be specific. Explain what they were, how they affected us, and what the response to them should be and why that response would be successful.

Also, the only coach to have an 11 win season in the last 25 years is Johnson, and he’s got two of them.

So let's get a grip here. Forget the Tennessee game. We are one play from being in control in the Coastal division. We are still in the Coastal race. We need to Beat UVA, VT and Duke and hope Miami slips 3 games. Yea not likely as they have as we would need Pitt and UVA to get em. But stranger things have happened.

jacob

Banned
I’m not a CPJ hater and I was definitely NOT a CCG fan, but 2007 clearly shows you can recruit elite talent to Tech.

My understanding is CPJ gets more exceptions now than we did then. Why can we not even finish top 25 in recruiting now?
I promise you I'm not a CPJ hater either, it's the recruiting thing is what really gets me mad because it's just so bad.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Step 1 - Add diverse majors, easy filler classes, cut calculus requirement.
Step 2- Get our support staff numbers up to the levels of at least everyone else in the ACC
Step 3- Consistency of staff- Grew up an Oklahoma fan and one thing that went into their bowl game "chokes" was half the support staff getting poached for head coaching jobs after the regular season
After that it's just throwing money to stay on upgrades.

What he said. The chances of this happening with the current makeup of the Hill and the BOR is about like me seeing a blizzard down here in south Georgia.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I agree we should always strive for better and we shouldn't walk into every game against Clemson expecting to lose but it doesn't mean we should get all hysterical, call for massive changes, and sell our tickets to UGA fans because we lose to Clemson.

I don't want to lose to anyone. Ask my wife about my temper tantrums on a tennis court BUT if I have to lose to any of our opponents it would be Clemson. They have good fans, good coaches, and treat our fans with some degree of courtesy and respect. After that, if I had to lose to someone it would probably be Pitt or Virginia of our regular opponents. But that is just me others may have different experiences.