Ok Brilliant Engineers....

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
ANd it is not just the number, but the variety.

Yes, Tech is SO hamstrung by the BOR in offering new degree programs that would appeal to a wider variety of SAs. Note talking about BS majors but related, recognized degree programs and it wouldn't have to be a huge number of degree programs. Probably no more than 4-6

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Once again in 2007 with less majors, less exemptions, and a worse Head Coach we achieved a #15 ranked recruiting class including three top 100 players.

Why can’t we do that now?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Third tier? Seriously? I fully and seriously disagree with that conclusion. Facts do not support in any way that assertion. Not elite? Agreed. Third tier? In no way, shape, form or fashion.

Not yet but have you noticed the serious upgrade in our competition lately? The ACC is not the old basketball conference we used to know and love. If we do not get serious about upgrading every aspect of our program we could be looking at third tier. Why not? Our recruiting ranking are second tier now (meaning out of the top 25) and have been for some time. Also, by third tier I do not mean the bottom feeders after all there are what? 120 plus teams. By third tier I would mean out of the top 40 which is really not bad. We do much better than what our recruiting ranking would seem to indicate we should do which tells you something about recruiting rankings first and the quality of our coaches and the willingness of our players to get better. Player development is absolutely critical for programs like ours that seldom get truly elite players.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Not yet but have you noticed the serious upgrade in our competition lately? The ACC is not the old basketball conference we used to know and love. If we do not get serious about upgrading every aspect of our program we could be looking at third tier. Why not? Our recruiting ranking are second tier now (meaning out of the top 25) and have been for some time. Also, by third tier I do not mean the bottom feeders after all there are what? 120 plus teams. By third tier I would mean out of the top 40 which is really not bad. We do much better than what our recruiting ranking would seem to indicate we should do which tells you something about recruiting rankings first and the quality of our coaches and the willingness of our players to get better. Player development is absolutely critical for programs like ours that seldom get truly elite players.

Other than Clemson who has taken such a major jump in talent?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I put the Sunbelt Conference,CUSA and the AAC as third tier and I think GT is way above that.
Yeah, you are probably right. A bit of overdone hyperbole on my part. Nonetheless, we have to do a better job of recruiting. You will agree with my assertion that many of our competitors have upgraded their programs. Why look at Wake Forest. I don't know about you but I was impressed with them. They are door mats no longer. Pitt and Duke are much improved over 5 years ago. We will see about Virginia they may or may not be any better. Certainly Clemson is no longer the old lovable tiggers that could be counted on to underachieve. Miami is making strides with MR. The ACC is becoming a much more competitive conference than from when we first entered thirty years ago.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And you point? The fact remains, Tech offers a narrow scope of degree programs, unlike most schools in the country.......Don't want to piss in your cornflakes, but the majority of people do not want to major in engineering or the other STEM degrees that Tech offers.

Fine. Let them go to GSU and be a Panther.

I for one am proud of the fact that GT is one of the Top 50 STEM schools in the world and can still play FBS ball. I would never support adding Womens’s Studies just get a few more athletes who can’t spell “cat”.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Other than Clemson who has taken such a major jump in talent?
See above. I see the ACC has having much better coaching and more importantly some really good quarterbacks lately that have helped some of these schools. To answer your question: (Others may differ to be sure) I see Wake Forest, Duke, Miami, and possibly Pitt (let's see how they handle the drama of this season) as being teams who appear to have made significant progress in their programs. Some add NC State and Virginia Tech but the Hokies have been good for a long time now. I am NOT saying these teams are on the verge of becoming top 25 teams just that they are better than they used to be. Some of them would start thinking about round ball in early October.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, you are probably right. A bit of overdone hyperbole on my part. Nonetheless, we have to do a better job of recruiting. You will agree with my assertion that many of our competitors have upgraded their programs. Why look at Wake Forest. I don't know about you but I was impressed with them. They are door mats no longer. Pitt and Duke are much improved over 5 years ago. We will see about Virginia they may or may not be any better. Certainly Clemson is no longer the old lovable tiggers that could be counted on to underachieve. Miami is making strides with MR. The ACC is becoming a much more competitive conference than from when we first entered thirty years ago.

And I love the fact the conference is heading in that direction! Tech is part of that wave as well, look at the talent in the last 2 classes and this year's!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
See above. I see the ACC has having much better coaching and more importantly some really good quarterbacks lately that have helped some of these schools. To answer your question: (Others may differ to be sure) I see Wake Forest, Duke, Miami, and possibly Pitt (let's see how they handle the drama of this season) as being teams who appear to have made significant progress in their programs. Some add NC State and Virginia Tech but the Hokies have been good for a long time now. I am NOT saying these teams are on the verge of becoming top 25 teams just that they are better than they used to be. Some of them would start thinking about round ball in early October.

See below LOL!

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s because Georgia Tech is an Institute, whereas Michigan State is a land grant university. Totally different animal.

We could be Georgia Tech University if we very well wanted to. Its only nomenclature that is different. There is no requirement for an institute vs university. We used to be called the Georgia School of Technology but only changed it to make it appear as if we were a four year research school instead of a trade school, not due to w/e difference a university versus an institute. One just shows our striving for science and technology more, so the name was chosen to better reflect the values of the school

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
True our recruiting has gotten better than PJ's early years. It takes longer for a coach at Tech to really get a handle on the unique culture and mindset of the school. The one thing that has always been in our favor is that we are smack dab in the middle of just about the most fertile recruiting area of the country. Georgia and Florida have so many players that UGA, Florida, FSU, Miami, and Clemson can't get all of them. Which leaves us with some pretty good players if we do a good job of identifying them early and showing them that a Tech degree will set them up for life in ways that are almost beyond their comprehension.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
A few years back I did a comparison of the number of major offered by schools that are known for their academics and athletics. The closest to Tech offered over DOUBLE the number of majors offered at Tech

Good gracious! I was not aware there was that large a discrepancy. Tech has about what 35 or so majors? Most schools have 100 or more. No wonder we have recruiting issues.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It would be kind of interesting to have GT go back to Georgia Technical Institute and have VT go back to Virginia Polytechnic Institute.

When my father in law, (God rest his soul) was at Auburn it was still Alabama Polytechnic Institute. That was in the early 1940s.