OK, #BCvsGT Postgame. BC wins 41-30

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I enjoy GtSwarm and have ever sinec joining years ago (2013?). The one thouught I have that would improve things here is if everyone (myself) included refrained from posting the same idea more than once or twice. Would open up room on the board for new and creative thoughts.
You assume any of us have new and creative thoughts :)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We are losing at least 3 OL starters next year and one of them is our best. That will be where the rebuild for the O will happen.
Overall I agree with you. I just hope we don't lose the playmakers we do have to the transfer portal. Our players don't like losing either. Not sure what to say about the secondary. I am going to assume a new DC would be able to improve that as well.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just hope we don't lose the playmakers we do have to the transfer portal. Our players don't like losing either.
Who (besides our RB's) has film that make them attractive to teams that win year over year? Possibly a few of our younger DL's and DE's. I saw an article somewhere on the status of players who transferred from GT. If they were making any splash, it was typically down a level or two. Some went to programs similar to GT in stature but not getting on the field. Our players are NOT leaving and getting time at OU, Bama or Uga. Or even Texas A & M or Baylor.

Putting it in other terms, if you cannot make a difference or earn a spot on a team with 3 wins are you really attractive to a top 10- 20 team? Gibbs could go anywhere of course because he does shine without a supporting cast. But how many others who left would end up at a significantly better program? 2? 3? 6? players at most.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what your definition of significantly better program is. There are a lot of teams with more than 9 wins in the last 3 years. Some will have holes to fill. That extra COVID year will give guys their degree and extra eligibility. Gibbs can go anywhere. Sims would have some interest. We have players I wouldn't want to lose eg Ivey Biggers Walton Walker Smith etc. I hope none of them leave but would not surprise me. Let's hope some things happen to give them hope for next year.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
  • Yates is a capable QB, but he’s not the QB we need right now. He makes less mistakes than Sims, but he still makes mistakes. He hurts us in two areas. One, he doesn’t pose a vertical threat to the defense, and we paid dearly for that. Without the field being stretched, the defense was able to bunch up in the box and limit our running plays. Secondly, he keeps pulling up to throw the ball when the field is open before him for major gains on the ground
Agree enough with most of what you posted to not need to respond but on this one i think its a bit of a not fair to yates thing. Yates very much has been told in most of the games he started to not take risks running the ball because sims is injured and the dropoff between him and beatty is a lot bigger than the drop off between sims and yates from a playbook perspective. I think if yates was startign knowing he had a backup that could come in a few plays after getting his bell rung we'd see more running out of him.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Okay, 52 seconds left in the first half, and two time outs. We watch the time tick away until we call our first and only one after going out of bounds with three seconds left. I'm thinking that might really be the worst time management at the end of a half I have ever seen.
Yeah, that was pure garbage coaching. I was watching the game with a former player from years ago and he was unimpressed by the time mismanagement.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
….elite….
….effort…..
……juice……
…….Temple……
…….I love those guys……
……Mississippi State…..
…….greatest transformation in the history of the world…….
…progress……

What did I miss without watching it??
…love these fans almost as much as my paycheck…

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Agree enough with most of what you posted to not need to respond but on this one i think its a bit of a not fair to yates thing. Yates very much has been told in most of the games he started to not take risks running the ball because sims is injured and the dropoff between him and beatty is a lot bigger than the drop off between sims and yates from a playbook perspective. I think if yates was startign knowing he had a backup that could come in a few plays after getting his bell rung we'd see more running out of him.

Do you have a source for that? I'm not sure I'm buying that. He ran plenty of times Saturday, but not when he needed to most.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Do you have a source for that? I'm not sure I'm buying that. He ran plenty of times Saturday, but not when he needed to most.

I have a source yes. Am i going to burn it for internet clout, no. Yates has been coached to look for the throw at all times. When he has no other option he runs.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So people complain when all CGC does is talk about the positives and now complain when he actually addresses one of the causes of some of the negatives from a game? Hey, I don't love his press conferences, but it seems disingenuous of fans to ask him to address some of what actually happened on the field and then ding him for saying it. Dinging him for it being a big problem I completely understand. He and his coaches need to be able to adjust. Totally agree with criticizing the inability to adjust. But criticizing that he said it is not fair if you're going to ask for him to talk about the actual football aspects both positive and negative.
That's fair.

slugboy

Staff member
I have a source yes. Am i going to burn it for internet clout, no. Yates has been coached to look for the throw at all times. When he has no other option he runs.
Considering that our QBs behind him are basically a grad assistant coach and a redshirt QB, it's not crazy to say "run as a last resort, or if you're sure it's safe".

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Had he just run the ball on one play, the one where he threw the interception, I think there's a good chance he makes the first down or perhaps even scores. I was surprised he threw it, with that much room to run. Your explanation makes sense as to why.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Had he just run the ball on one play, the one where he threw the interception, I think there's a good chance he makes the first down or perhaps even scores. I was surprised he threw it, with that much room to run. Your explanation makes sense as to why.

Yes, also I think kyric expected him to cut it up because he went to block. It could have been a bone head decision but that's uncharacteristic with yates. I think he was trying to do exactly what he's been coached to do. I mean at UNC where we ripped up with sims in the read option game my question was why weren't we running some read with Yates earlier? He might not rip a 50 yarder untouched but he'd have probably ran it well enough to score from the 10. This is what lead me to ask some questions.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We are losing at least 3 OL starters next year and one of them is our best. That will be where the rebuild for the O will happen.
Overall I agree with you. I just hope we don't lose the playmakers we do have to the transfer portal. Our players don't like losing either. Not sure what to say about the secondary. I am going to assume a new DC would be able to improve that as well.

Unlike previous seasons, the back ups all OL have game experience

With Vaipulu, Pendley, & Franklin the past 2 weeks. I expect either Leftwich/Green or a transfer portal get for LT

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

That's interesting. Not sure I completely buy it. Especially when he was sent on designed runs last game.

That being said, it does make some sense, but he should have went out of bounds before throwing that ball regardless.