OK, #BCvsGT Postgame. BC wins 41-30

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Bark Madley was there also, and actually penned a decent assessment of the ‘as-is’ situation:

Mark Bradley (@MarkBradleyAJC) Tweeted:
It’s Year 3 at Tech, and the clock on Geoff Collins is ticking https://t.co/XOp112VmtL

For those who have not read the article, you really should I don't think there's too much you would disagree with.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll throw this out there “in general”

If you go to games or tune in to watch a team that’s won 3 games a year the last two seasons, and runs a strong risk of doing that again, I can’t reasonably call you a fair weather fan. If you watched this team over the past two years, you’re a committed fan.

A lot of us are dealing with this in our own way. Personally, there’s snark that I find tiresome and unfunny, and some logic I find tortured. I’d still rather have as many fans behind the team as we can, even if they’re frustrated or PO’ed.
Thank you. I’ve been a critic (or have completely lost confidence in him) of CGC since the Citadel game. I don’t like him. I find him to be embarrassing and have rightly been concerned that he world inflict lasting damage to our program, but I watch or listen to every game. If I hadn’t moved out of Atlanta I’d be at BDS. I don’t donate money to the AA - any money I give to GT is to academic programs. But I’m a fan and I’m pissed. I’m embarrassed of CGC. I hate shi**y marketing in my real life and don’t appreciate it from my alma maters football team. I’ve lost any confidence and just want CGC to be gone because I have zero faith it will get better and believe we are doing more damage every day CGC is the HC. But thank you for recognizing I am still a fan. Go jackets !!!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Someone on radio, probably SeanBedford, remarked that BC had prepared to face a Sims led offense, and that they would have prepared for something completely different if they'd known Yates was going to be our QB. May help explain our early offensive success.
Then they made adjustments are... Well the rest is history...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’ll throw this out there “in general”

If you go to games or tune in to watch a team that’s won 3 games a year the last two seasons, and runs a strong risk of doing that again, I can’t reasonably call you a fair weather fan. If you watched this team over the past two years, you’re a committed fan.

A lot of us are dealing with this in our own way. Personally, there’s snark that I find tiresome and unfunny, and some logic I find tortured. I’d still rather have as many fans behind the team as we can, even if they’re frustrated or PO’ed.
I agree with this. When the snark from specific fonts get too much, I'll turn them off for a while. Makes for weird thread-reading sometimes, but my blood pressure stays in a better place. I'm sure there are those that should turn me off too.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree with this. When the snark from specific fonts get too much, I'll turn them off for a while. Makes for weird thread-reading sometimes, but my blood pressure stays in a better place. I'm sure there are those that should turn me off too.
I enjoy GtSwarm and have ever sinec joining years ago (2013?). The one thouught I have that would improve things here is if everyone (myself) included refrained from posting the same idea more than once or twice. Would open up room on the board for new and creative thoughts.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I enjoy GtSwarm and have ever sinec joining years ago (2013?). The one thouught I have that would improve things here is if everyone (myself) included refrained from posting the same idea more than once or twice. Would open up room on the board for new and creative thoughts.
Don’t worry, those of you like censorship and think you know what should or should not be posted won’t have to worry soon when no one wants to post about GT football anymore. I’ve been shocked the last month how many fewer posters we have around here. I’m also always chuckle when folks get upset about the same topics get posted. This is a freaking football board. There aren’t that many different topics to cover ok. It’s coaches, players, offense, defense, special teams. That’s about it if you stick to the actual game. Add concessions, fans, parking, traffic, game times if you want to expand to the entire event. What creative thoughts are you talking about? Football is the furthest thing from creative I can think of. I promise not to post un creative football posts on the Swarm Cooking Board.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
That’s weird, for sure.

Where did that quote run? Is it possible something is out of context?

I would assume that BC would change up their formation if it wasn’t working. We do, at least a little
Ken wrote it in an AJC article that I was reading last night.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’m not really sure why a coach would say something like this

View attachment 11584
So people complain when all CGC does is talk about the positives and now complain when he actually addresses one of the causes of some of the negatives from a game? Hey, I don't love his press conferences, but it seems disingenuous of fans to ask him to address some of what actually happened on the field and then ding him for saying it. Dinging him for it being a big problem I completely understand. He and his coaches need to be able to adjust. Totally agree with criticizing the inability to adjust. But criticizing that he said it is not fair if you're going to ask for him to talk about the actual football aspects both positive and negative.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Saturday evening was a LONG ride home. The 2 ½ ride back to Augusta always seems longer after a loss, and Saturday night fit the bill. As always, I wanted to give the game some time to digest before I composed my thoughts on the game, and by extension, the current state of Georgia Tech football.

This post may very well be TL/DR for many, and for that I apologize, but I simply don’t think we gain much by twitterizing the truth into 140-character snark filled hot takes. Maybe it makes us feel better for a minute, but it doesn’t serve to further real conversation on the subject. Of course, that’s probably what many wish for. It’s become far more common to demand people agree with you rather than seek to understand what’s really going on. With that being said, here are my observations after sitting through Saturday’s game against BC.
  • Yates is a capable QB, but he’s not the QB we need right now. He makes less mistakes than Sims, but he still makes mistakes. He hurts us in two areas. One, he doesn’t pose a vertical threat to the defense, and we paid dearly for that. Without the field being stretched, the defense was able to bunch up in the box and limit our running plays. Secondly, he keeps pulling up to throw the ball when the field is open before him for major gains on the ground.
  • Our OL depth is killing us. By the end of the game these guys were worn out and it showed. We really need another season or two to get the OL repaired and get enough depth to dictate our will in the 4th quarter. It’s possible we could see vast improvement in 2022, but I think we are looking at 2023 before we finally have enough bodies with enough years in the system to weather the injury scenarios we have endured this year.
  • WR play is getting better each game. When we have time to throw and make good reads our guys are doing a great job at making catches, even when contested. Bad throws have cost us, but not really a WR issue.
  • Gibbs is the best RB I’ve seen at GT in a long time. He completely changed BCs kickoff approach in our favor after the first return for TD. BC opted to give us field position on squibs rather than give Gibbs the opportunity to house another one.
  • Penalties have become a problem again. It’s easy to blame refs, but most of our penalties were self-inflicted. The personal foul penalties extending drives and the false starts stalling ours are sure ways to lose a game.
  • Biggers is going to be a baller soon. I was really impressed with him.
  • Our offense is close, IMO, to breaking out. We have the weapons at the skill positions when Sims is healthy, we just need to get some depth at OL. I expect to see major strides in 2022 and realization of full potential in 2023.
  • Our defense is close to dumpster fire bad again. We are 94th in DFEI and 78th in DF+ after Saturday. With our two toughest games yet to be played, I expect these numbers to get worse.
  • I believe Saturday may have been the tipping point for this staff, at least as it is currently constructed. I will expand on this thought below.
Saturday was the worst environment I have experienced at a game since the end of the Gailey era. Fans, what few there were, were openly booing the staff at several points of the game. The relatively few BC fans in the upper North were louder than the GT fans that were in attendance. At this point, CGC is very close to losing the fan base, if he has not entirely lost it already. IF we turn the corner next season, I think he can recover and ultimately be viewed as successful here, providing he keeps the trajectory upward. Right now, that’s a big IF. I see almost no way we can continue with Thacker as DC. I am always hesitant to call for the firing of a coach, but I don’t believe we have upside with Thacker running the defense. My strong recommendation would be to fire Thacker and pony up the money for a proven DC.

While I have seen many calling for a new OC, I’d honestly let CDP have another year, as his offense is improving, and replacing two coordinators in the same season is a recipe for disaster. I’d pile all our resources into fixing the defense, especially considering the sheer amount of talent we have in that unit. There is no reason for us to be in the bottom third on defense. The transition was completely on offense. I get that in 2019 and to some degree 2020 the defense was exposed by being on the field for far too long due to the offense not being able to sustain drives. That’s no longer the case, and our offense has given up enough points to be able to win games. As others have pointed out, our defense is actively losing games for us. That bleeding needs to stop now.

To end on a somewhat better note, I still believe all is not lost, though CGCs margin for error is getting razor thin. These last two games have very little chance of producing wins for us, so the onus is now on CGC to make necessary course changes and start producing concrete results in 2022.