Ohio

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If Q or Okokie could hit a shot we win that game. If the ref correctly calls the block instead of the charge on Tadrick we still have a good chance at that game. I am generally not into moral victories or the like but that game - in the scheme of this season - was a good game for us. Tadrick is showing signs of being a legit scorer and Lammers improvement is close to amazing. That was a legit player he was up against.

On the other side we have to find someone who can shoot. It was painful to watch us push the ball and kick it out to someone who didn't or couldn't shoot and either tried to drive right back into the mess around the basket or just held it and set up the offense. Those have to be made open shots - preferably 3's. This also made defense ungodly easy for Ohio who never saw a pick they thought they had to go over the top of or a shot fake they had to respect. Yea theoretically I would rather have had Lammers kick the ball out of the double teams he was seeing but in reality I would have told him to just throw it up too. No reason to throw it out to someone who has a lot less chance of scoring than he did. Beyond that we didn't move on offense consistently - didn't cut hard or sometimes just didn't move. I hope when Heath comes back that improves.

With all that I am still not down after the game. The defense was good - not great but good against a good offensive team. Okogie plays hard and has the potential to be a legit ACC player if he can learn to shoot. For those looking for player development both Tadrick and Lammers are exhibit A for improvement. Q not so much. Rebounding was improved. And above all for this team they are playing hard. They are just playing without ACC level talent at 2 or 3 spots.

Going forward I would go ahead and give Mathews or McCormick some time and see if they can shoot. Their D can't be that much worse. Or go with Okogie at the 3 and just have AD being the offensive sink hole. I hope Heath helps with pushing the speed and consistency of the offense. But above all someone has to simply make a shot.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Lammers is good. Really good. His post moves are miles ahead of where they were the last two seasons.

Nice flash of the potential Justin Moore has. Actually had a sneaky good game in my opinion, ending with EIGHT assists and ZERO turnovers.

Despite the bad offensive night, Okogie impacted the game in other ways (what we all knew..."ultimate glue guy"). Had 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, and a steal.

It looks like his work with Labarrie is really paying off for Tadric. Went 3-4 from behind the arc last night and he looks much more aggressive/confident. Still building his minutes up as he returns from his hamstring injury and works on his conditioning. Could really be the impact player we expected him to be by the time we get to ACC play and may have the ability to single handedly win us some games.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Q is not going to suddenly improve after 3+ years. He is what he is. Last night against a top tier MAC team he looked slow. If he is hitting we have a shot at a win. If he is not, we are probably effed.

You knew Okogie would come back to earth at some point. Even though he didn't put many points up last night he still did a lot of good things

Justin Moore has way more upside that I originally thought he just needs to know "when" (when to push, when to pump the breaks, when to pull it back) and he needs to put up 1000 FTs a day. I can live with a PG who struggles from deep, but he needs to shoot FTs well.

Lammers is the man

AD and Sly should NEVER be on the floor together

Jax's jumper looks so much better. Confidence looks good on him.

Babel was giving LeBarrie credit for improving Tadrick's jumper. It was pretty clear he is better and I hope LeBarrie can work his magic on Okogie.

I have no idea what to do with Q. this team has to find someone who can score at the 3 spot. That is not a spot any team can have a ball mover who can't shoot.

Moore played good and showed flashes. But while you can get by with an assist first PG, he still has to have some threat to score and preferably some threat to make a 3. He still has work to do.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
If Q or Okokie could hit a shot we win that game. If the ref correctly calls the block instead of the charge on Tadrick we still have a good chance at that game. I am generally not into moral victories or the like but that game - in the scheme of this season - was a good game for us. Tadrick is showing signs of being a legit scorer and Lammers improvement is close to amazing. That was a legit player he was up against.

On the other side we have to find someone who can shoot. It was painful to watch us push the ball and kick it out to someone who didn't or couldn't shoot and either tried to drive right back into the mess around the basket or just held it and set up the offense. Those have to be made open shots - preferably 3's. This also made defense ungodly easy for Ohio who never saw a pick they thought they had to go over the top of or a shot fake they had to respect. Yea theoretically I would rather have had Lammers kick the ball out of the double teams he was seeing but in reality I would have told him to just throw it up too. No reason to throw it out to someone who has a lot less chance of scoring than he did. Beyond that we didn't move on offense consistently - didn't cut hard or sometimes just didn't move. I hope when Heath comes back that improves.

With all that I am still not down after the game. The defense was good - not great but good against a good offensive team. Okogie plays hard and has the potential to be a legit ACC player if he can learn to shoot. For those looking for player development both Tadrick and Lammers are exhibit A for improvement. Q not so much. Rebounding was improved. And above all for this team they are playing hard. They are just playing without ACC level talent at 2 or 3 spots.

Going forward I would go ahead and give Mathews or McCormick some time and see if they can shoot. Their D can't be that much worse. Or go with Okogie at the 3 and just have AD being the offensive sink hole. I hope Heath helps with pushing the speed and consistency of the offense. But above all someone has to simply make a shot.

I am baffled by how many minutes AD has been getting. I think Pastner likes what he brings on defense, but he does nothing offensively and makes way too many mistakes.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am baffled by how many minutes AD has been getting. I think Pastner likes what he brings on defense, but he does nothing offensively and makes way too many mistakes.

In a perfect world AD would be on the bench working on his ball skills still. Or playing for a mid major team. But to put it mildly this ain't a perfect world ;)

CJP has real problems at the 3/4 slots right now. Neither Q nor AD helped last night though at least AD moves on D and did give 9 rebounds. This is simply the roster cluster muck CJP got handed. My view would be to compress Q and AD into one spot at the 4 and let Okogie take the 3. CJP may be waiting on Heath to come back to give a little more depth at the 3 perimeter slots. o_O

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'd be interested to see us go three out / two in and see what happens. Heath / Moore at the point with Tadric and Okogie on the wings. Heyward could sub in on a rotation. AD / Q at the 4 and Lammers / Ogbonda at the 5. I know we would be small on the wings, but pretty damn athletic. Also keeps us from exposing Q's defensive issues at the 3. Also helps to have Lammers and another long big to protect the hoop when we get beat off the bounce

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck

With the way that Q was shooting it would have been nice to see if Matthews could have contributed something last night. AD will hustle and play D but as you said he brings nothing offensively and he seemed too emotional. That part reminded me a bit of Glen Rice Jr.

Last night they kept running a play in which the got the ball into Lammers in the high post. It would've have been nice to see him face up and take that jumper at least once or twice. If he hits it it opens up all types of possibilities.

It's good to see Tadric and his improvement to the point that he comfortably hit several outside shots. He and Okogie are both guys who are aggressive in getting to the basket which I like.

I like Moore in that he's vocal and that he seems to be getting comfortable running the offense. It'll be nice if he was a tad bit more athletic though. He's been getting too many shots blocked.

It's also been nice seeing full court pressure implemented from time to time and it generated a turnover late in the game. I saw more turnovers generated last night by the defense than I ever remember seeing under Gregory.

Was the other transfer Price expected to provide anything?

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My thoughts one day later.
A little better crowd than night 1.
GT has a huge talent issue (not that we didn't know this). We currently have 2 ACC level starter talents in Jackson and Lammers. No one else is ACC starter quality at this point.
okogie is the next most likely to get to that level but i think he will be a pretty typical ACC freshman. Q is what he is, an ACC level backup. Heath imo is an ACC level backup.

We played 7 guys last night (excluding Ogbonda for 2 min in first half). I kept thinking we needed to steal some min on the bench for TJ and Lammers so they weren't gassed at the end - but never took that chance. I felt like by the 8 min mark we would lose - we simply were going to run out of gas.

You have to have more than 2 players that can score consistently and we do not. Okogie lost his cool a couple of times and it hurt the team. He will have to learn to control that a little better as he gains experience. He does alot of positive things though, even on a night where he couldn't find the bucket.

I've come around to Pea's thinking on Moore. We should be at least platooning him at PG once Heath comes back. His size and athleticism is a plus. His shooting is a huge negative and will have to improve significantly for him to be anything more than an ACC backup level PG. Teams are going to start to play off him as not only does he not have a 3-pt shot - he really doesn't have a 10-12 fter either. His FT's also need significant improvement. Potential is there, but he is a year away from being a major contributor. This offseason for him has to be all about shooting.

To compete in the ACC you need at least 3 consistent scorers, preferably more. This team may have only 2.

Pastner made a comment in the post game that since we are not a 3-pt shooting team (good that he recognizes that) we have to make more FT's than our opponents attempt. He also said players can't just hope the refs call fouls, you have to make offensive plays that force them to call fouls. He said Ohio was 7-16 FT we needed to make at least 16 to make up for the fact we aren't going to hit many threes.

After a good first half on defense we had multiple breakdowns in the second half. Lost Kaminski on multiple occasions and had multiple examples of miscommunicating on the pick and roll.

Campbell was a beast. He is an ACC level big. Watching him an Lammers was alot of fun.

i feel for Pastner. I think he and his staff are trying to do the best with what they have, but they really are pretty limited right now. I think Lammers and TJ can score fairly consistently ,though teams are going to really start to gameplan them. okogie will be a lesser third wheel - think he can avg 8-9 ppg against ACC teams. Q will have 1 big game every 2 weeks and otherwise be quiet. One of Heath or Moore have to be pretty consistent at scoring.

AD can help on defense but is a black hole on offense. Ogbonda is a project. Matthews is probably a year away.

I thought this was probably a 60/40 game in favor of Ohio. So i'm not depressed or overly disappointed. All this game did was provide a data point that makes me believe my overall belief about this year's team and it's potential is probably about right. Probably about 10 wins +-1.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I never understood why Gregory did not recruit shooters. Since the 3 point rule came in, you have to have shooters. Gregory seemed to be recruiting for old school basketball with no 3 point rule. Shooting was always the weakness of his teams, and that is what Pastner inherited. Jackson can't shoot, but at least he is being coached to penetrate, which he is capable of. How consistent he will be as a scorer this year remains to be seen.

Very few teams have 3 consistent outside shooters. You need 3 good shooters and hope that 2 of the 3 are "on" in a given night. If 2 are on and you have an inside presence, you can win in the ACC. We don't have any consistent shooters.

The jury is out on Okogie. Against Southern, he appeared to be more talented than I expected. His shooting was off last night, but he did some good things. He is learning, but the talent seems to be there.

Lammers has looked great, but in the second half last night he had questionable hands. A big has to have good hands. Fatigue may have been part of that. Again, something to watch.

I will have fun watching Pastner and staff coaching this team. It will be very interesting to see what they accomplish. Wins and losses are irrelevant this season.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
On Moore...I'm most impressed by his overall speed and quickness and his fire...real competitive and confident...he's got a pair.His FT shooting does look suspect...way to much arc for such a short shot.Kids going to be a special player...he's relatively tall for a point guard and when he fills out I see him very tough to keep out of the lane and a great defender.
Okogie was a three or two...a call or two...away from a different perspective in regards to his offense.I love his aggressive instincts...he is a natural attacker and also has "the fire".He was everywhere.I liked TJ overall night offensively but I would have liked him to have been more decisive late...take a 3 or take it to the rim.
Lammers just missed those shots late...all clean looks.That kid is ridiculous and this is only the tip of the iceberg.He is REALLY athletic...his demeanor takes away from that fact.Timing ,length and footwork are all strengths but I'm starting to realise he's even more athletic than I thought.His body control and hops are high level for a guy his size...he took a turnaround jumper late where he totally squared up in air...was just long but right on.His ability to get off the Nowitski move with range is "next level"....he's putting it on the floor and taking it to the basket and is finishing everything above the rim.He's in great shape...not a muscle man...but lean,big with great footwork and good length.Going to bring it every night in league play...hopefully he stays out of foul trouble.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
GT has a huge talent issue (not that we didn't know this). We currently have 2 ACC level starter talents in Jackson and Lammers. No one else is ACC starter quality at this point.
okogie is the next most likely to get to that level but i think he will be a pretty typical ACC freshman. Q is what he is, an ACC level backup. Heath imo is an ACC level backup.

We played 7 guys last night (excluding Ogbonda for 2 min in first half). I kept thinking we needed to steal some min on the bench for TJ and Lammers so they weren't gassed at the end - but never took that chance. I felt like by the 8 min mark we would lose - we simply were going to run out of gas.

You have to have more than 2 players that can score consistently and we do not. Okogie lost his cool a couple of times and it hurt the team. He will have to learn to control that a little better as he gains experience. He does alot of positive things though, even on a night where he couldn't find the bucket.

I've come around to Pea's thinking on Moore. We should be at least platooning him at PG once Heath comes back. His size and athleticism is a plus. His shooting is a huge negative and will have to improve significantly for him to be anything more than an ACC backup level PG. Teams are going to start to play off him as not only does he not have a 3-pt shot - he really doesn't have a 10-12 fter either. His FT's also need significant improvement. Potential is there, but he is a year away from being a major contributor. This offseason for him has to be all about shooting.

To compete in the ACC you need at least 3 consistent scorers, preferably more. This team may have only 2.

Pastner made a comment in the post game that since we are not a 3-pt shooting team (good that he recognizes that) we have to make more FT's than our opponents attempt. He also said players can't just hope the refs call fouls, you have to make offensive plays that force them to call fouls. He said Ohio was 7-16 FT we needed to make at least 16 to make up for the fact we aren't going to hit many threes.

After a good first half on defense we had multiple breakdowns in the second half. Lost Kaminski on multiple occasions and had multiple examples of miscommunicating on the pick and roll.

Campbell was a beast. He is an ACC level big. Watching him an Lammers was alot of fun.

i feel for Pastner. I think he and his staff are trying to do the best with what they have, but they really are pretty limited right now. I think Lammers and TJ can score fairly consistently ,though teams are going to really start to gameplan them. okogie will be a lesser third wheel - think he can avg 8-9 ppg against ACC teams. Q will have 1 big game every 2 weeks and otherwise be quiet. One of Heath or Moore have to be pretty consistent at scoring.

AD can help on defense but is a black hole on offense. Ogbonda is a project. Matthews is probably a year away.

I thought this was probably a 60/40 game in favor of Ohio. So i'm not depressed or overly disappointed. All this game did was provide a data point that makes me believe my overall belief about this year's team and it's potential is probably about right. Probably about 10 wins +-1.

All I saw here was that he agrees with me

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I am not sure, at this point, if I agree or disagree with this. The big difference in Ohio last night and GT was about three shots that either fell for them or did not for us. When I say I am not sure, I mean that I am not sure on the positive stuff any more than I am with the negative.

We have played two pretty weak teams and one that is better than the other two. How much better is uncertain.

Right now we are playing pretty well overall, relative the competition, in every aspect except shooting. Q is a better shooter than he has shown thus far. His career percentages are about 10 points above his current numbers, He is playing a lot more minutes than ever and playing a decent floor game. He is not a great defender, so don't misread what I am saying. His lack of physical strength is not going to change. I think we need to be careful to avoid blaming Q for not being Matt Harpring.

I did not expect Okogie to average 18 a game, so last night was not a surprise or disappointment for me. In many ways it was his best game as a Jacket.

Lammers is very effective within the offense. But he is not a one on one positive. At the end of the game last night he was tired, frustrated that we were falling behind, and tried to do something he is not well suited to do. Campbell is a much more complete player, so that was a mismatch from the beginning. If Lammers lets the guards and wings get him the ball in the right places and he recognizes the opportunities correctly, he can be a very good player. But he is not, right now, an end of game "go to" guy.

On the other hand, TJ wants the ball. He is finally playing like we thought he would two years ago. I say we should let the game revolve around him as long and as far as his talent will carry us.

And, everything that happened so far has been without an experienced PG on the floor. Let's be real for a moment. Last year we needed MGH to fill the PG role before we turned into a pretty good team. Moore and Corey are not MGH. Of course, neither is Heath.

Edit: AD is a space filler on offense and a slightly positive on defense. Ogbonda is not ready for NCAA level play. Mathews appears to be at least a year away.

My assessment from a few weeks ago remains. This will be a long season. But, I think we will see some surprising brights spots along the way.

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I thought this team couldn't score much at all. Now TJ and Lammers are threats. Much better than I thought.otoh--Q has been a MESS shooting.
Overall better than I thought and will better with Heath some at least.
Still will struggle for one win in conference probably.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I never understood why Gregory did not recruit shooters. Since the 3 point rule came in, you have to have shooters. Gregory seemed to be recruiting for old school basketball with no 3 point rule. Shooting was always the weakness of his teams, and that is what Pastner inherited. Jackson can't shoot, but at least he is being coached to penetrate, which he is capable of. How consistent he will be as a scorer this year remains to be seen.

Very few teams have 3 consistent outside shooters. You need 3 good shooters and hope that 2 of the 3 are "on" in a given night. If 2 are on and you have an inside presence, you can win in the ACC. We don't have any consistent shooters.

The jury is out on Okogie. Against Southern, he appeared to be more talented than I expected. His shooting was off last night, but he did some good things. He is learning, but the talent seems to be there.

Lammers has looked great, but in the second half last night he had questionable hands. A big has to have good hands. Fatigue may have been part of that. Again, something to watch.

I will have fun watching Pastner and staff coaching this team. It will be very interesting to see what they accomplish. Wins and losses are irrelevant this season.

He wasn't not trying to recruit shooters. He was just a **** recruiter.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Rick Pitino also enjoys staying after hours at Italian restaurants to discuss hoop strategy with friendly women. ;)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure, at this point, if I agree or disagree with this. The big difference in Ohio last night and GT was about three shots that either fell for them or did not for us. When I say I am not sure, I mean that I am not sure on the positive stuff any more than I am with the negative.

We have played two pretty weak teams and one that is better than the other two. How much better is uncertain.

Right now we are playing pretty well overall, relative the competition, in every aspect except shooting. Q is a better shooter than he has shown thus far. His career percentages are about 10 points above his current numbers, He is playing a lot more minutes than ever and playing a decent floor game. He is not a great defender, so don't misread what I am saying. His lack of physical strength is not going to change. I think we need to be careful to avoid blaming Q for not being Matt Harpring.

I did not expect Okogie to average 18 a game, so last night was not a surprise or disappointment for me. In many ways it was his best game as a Jacket.

Lammers is very effective within the offense. But he is not a one on one positive. At the end of the game last night he was tired, frustrated that we were falling behind, and tried to do something he is not well suited to do. Campbell is a much more complete player, so that was a mismatch from the beginning. If Lammers lets the guards and wings get him the ball in the right places and he recognizes the opportunities correctly, he can be a very good player. But he is not, right now, an end of game "go to" guy.

On the other hand, TJ wants the ball. He is finally playing like we thought he would two years ago. I say we should let the game revolve around him as long and as far as his talent will carry us.

And, everything that happened so far has been without an experienced PG on the floor. Let's be real for a moment. Last year we needed MGH to fill the PG role before we turned into a pretty good team. Moore and Corey are not MGH. Of course, neither is Heath.

Edit: AD is a space filler on offense and a slightly positive on defense. Ogbonda is not ready for NCAA level play. Mathews appears to be at least a year away.

My assessment from a few weeks ago remains. This will be a long season. But, I think we will see some surprising brights spots along the way.

Here is the bottom line.. Q is a senior and he is supposed to be our leader and our best shooter...Thus far, he's not getting it done so I think that he should take accountability. Had he played better on Friday night, we had a chance to win that game.

Regarding Lammers, what more can you ask of the kid? If you thought that he was mismatched on Friday night, I'm not sure what to tell you. He more than held his own against a quality player and continues to be a bright spot for us.

He played 38 minutes, banging in the post...of course he was tired at the end of the game, but I would rather it go through him than just about anyone on the team. I completely trust him.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Especially Lammers. He worked his a$$ off.
Lammers was gassed at the end of the game and it didn't surprise me. Didn't get a single break in the second half and only 2 min in the first half. That is not nearly enough.
He also had to chase Campbell - who is a good three point shooter, throughout the game and bang with him and the other 6'9/250 guy all game long.

i knew he was going to have an empty take at the end. i don't blame him at all. Lammers was the #1 reason we were in that game at all. He is our all around best player right now. Solid on offense, very good on defense - plays hard.

it's disappointing we don't have any bigs we feel comfortable rotating with him. The drop off is just so great.
May need to think about going zone and taking Lammers out for a few min and try to use the zone to hide our inside weakness without him.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer

On this we disagree. I think this was (by far) Okogie's worst game as a jacket (not a big sample so far). I have high expectations for him. By the end of the season, I expect he will be among the team leaders in points (just behind Tadric).

I also don't agree with your point on Lammers. I'm just seeing something different. I think Lammers is among the better bigs out there and we're lucky to have him.

/