Offseason Media 2024

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
There has been an interesting development for the spring game in Chapel Hill tomorrow. I was first alerted by the Wreck Talk Podcast that Coach Mack Brown requested that the ACC Network not televise their spring game. A sampling of Carolina media sources reveal that they don't have a clue has to Coach Brown's motivation. The UNC podcast personalities were quite frankly laughing about the idea of trying to be secretive. Who knows, but it doesn't project a confident football program. Also, apparently a standout defensive player was quoted recently about Coach Collins' new defensive scheme. Apparently, there has been an emphasis on disguising different packages to confuse the opposing QB and OL. When asked to be more specific, the player was quoted, "... it's all an illusion. " Interesting choice of words by the player.

I always thought it would be interesting for a football team to consult a magician and see if they could come up with creative ways to make the other team look silly.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I always thought it would be interesting for a football team to consult a magician and see if they could come up with creative ways to make the other team look silly.
I think TFG tried that by using the words " iiiiittt's money down!"... Obviously those were not the correct magic words.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
There has been an interesting development for the spring game in Chapel Hill tomorrow. I was first alerted by the Wreck Talk Podcast that Coach Mack Brown requested that the ACC Network not televise their spring game. A sampling of Carolina media sources reveal that they don't have a clue has to Coach Brown's motivation. The UNC podcast personalities were quite frankly laughing about the idea of trying to be secretive. Who knows, but it doesn't project a confident football program. Also, apparently a standout defensive player was quoted recently about Coach Collins' new defensive scheme. Apparently, there has been an emphasis on disguising different packages to confuse the opposing QB and OL. When asked to be more specific, the player was quoted, "... it's all an illusion. " Interesting choice of words by the player.
I had worried UNC would be closer to a toss-up, but watching this whole song and dance again makes me pretty confident in our odds.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Lou Holtz was an amateur magician. He used deception and illusion in his offense over the years. Pretty successful where ever he went. I don't think TFG is anywhere close to that. He is a legend in his own mind.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe he doesn't want the world laughing at his DC making an arse of himself?

don't know idk GIF by EVIEWHY't know idk GIF by EVIEWHY
I forgot about that…..I wonder if UNC will have "Money Down" for opposing offenses.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yes... Been in the AJC. 😁

(my words as I best remember) Singleton in a recent interview said he was running track in the near term but uncertain how long he would run track as it requires more and different practice. He said football practice was a priority and he would see how it went to run track without all the track practice required.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I forgot about that…..I wonder if UNC will have "Money Down" for opposing offenses.
I wonder if Mack will give in to the bizarre things TFG came up with. I think Mack may let him do a few silly things but Mack is pretty traditional in the way he runs things. Bigger question is how much longer Mack will coach. A mediocre year could do it. Already some rumbling by alums. I know a former QB and another big donor but have not had a chance to talk to them recently. I will see them at the golf course this spring.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Mack will give in to the bizarre things TFG came up with. I think Mack may let him do a few silly things but Mack is pretty traditional in the way he runs things. Bigger question is how much longer Mack will coach. A mediocre year could do it. Already some rumbling by alums. I know a former QB and another big donor but have not had a chance to talk to them recently. I will see them at the golf course this spring.
We’ll know if we see “919” stenciled on the field.

I haven’t been able to decide if TFG’s hire is the Mack Brown HC in waiting school or the Mack Brown rehab school. Time will tell.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I haven’t been able to decide if TFG’s hire is the Mack Brown HC in waiting school or the Mack Brown rehab school. Time will tell.

Most likely it's because he is regarded as a competent DC and Mack will keep him in check on the sidelines. Lots of OCs and DCs fail as HCs and return to the sidelines again as coordinators. This is not unusual.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Most likely it's because he is regarded as a competent DC and Mack will keep him in check on the sidelines. Lots of OCs and DCs fail as HCs and return to the sidelines again as coordinators. This is not unusual.
Yeah, that’s probably the moat likely scenario, but one can always dream sick dreams.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's a video someone recorded of UNC's spring game/practice thing and they had $$$ down signs on the sideline: