Offseason - Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Talking about starters for next year, I think who started in these games are the ones with the inside track to start in February. But a lot to go.

And of course I don't agree that all the guys who started here should have started.

But first, here is the most recent snapshot of how our guys did this summer. I sorted batters by BA and colored the number of ABs. The pitchers are sorted by number of IP. I think if its less than 10, not really a good indication.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Talking about starters for next year, I think who started in these games are the ones with the inside track to start in February. But a lot to go.

And of course I don't agree that all the guys who started here should have started.

But first, here is the most recent snapshot of how our guys did this summer. I sorted batters by BA and colored the number of ABs. The pitchers are sorted by number of IP. I think if its less than 10, not really a good indication.

No access

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are the starters in the two games.
First NameLast NamePosition Played Oct 2021 Games
AndrewJenkins1B Start
JohnAnderson2B Start
AndrewCompton3B Start
KevinParadaC Start
ColinHallCF Start
StephenReidDH Start / RF
TresGonzalezLF Start
MarquisGrissomP Start
ZacharyMaxwellP Start
JakeDeleoRF Start
ChandlerSimpsonSS Start
Most of these starters are no brainers. There are a few I question:
  • 1) Colin Hall. Hasn't hit well last two years (.228/.229) and didn't play in the summer. Also poor fielding last year, not only errors but poor angles on some balls.
    • My OF starting would be Gonzo, Reid, DeLeo. DeLeo only hit .254 as a Fr last year, but has a lot more upside than 23 year old Hall.
  • 2) Zach Maxwell. Clearly a favorite given the innings he gets. But way too high WHIP. His 6.17 ERA in Cape Cod is what I'd expect this year as batters know more about him. At a 1.75 summer WHIP, just too wild. His WHIP was 1.91 last year. I'd make him a middle reliever or closer till/if he gets his control.
    • Starters are harder. Grissom, Roedig, Dawson Brown, Siegel, Huff and some Fr who rise up. I'd pitch them only 3-4 innings to stat the season so there is a lot more looks and development.
  • 3) Andrew Compton. I'd probably start him. This is real close with him and Borden from L'Ville. Depends on how well they play defensively. Drew didn't have a good summer hitting, but was pretty good the last two ACC years (.321/.294). Borden had a great Fr (.444) but then fell off to .220 last year. Nice to have depth at 3B!!

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Did Jake Holland land anywhere during the off season? He was in the portal but no sign of an update.
Also, did anyone ever get a clear story on the reason behind his abrupt departure? Sorry if discussed elsewhere.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
JUCO

Attachments

• 8360E717-1C6E-40CD-B483-1DA7009BF1BA.jpeg
    8360E717-1C6E-40CD-B483-1DA7009BF1BA.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 24

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looming MLB negotiating deadline of 1 Dec. https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/...yers-approach-potential-lockout/Bw1HBu0HnUFe/

This is a really big deal as it relates to the size of the draft for us. Unfortunately, the non-MLB players yet to be drafted have very little representation.

We had 16 in the 2022 class. Getting down to 35 next year from the 40 this year means we have to reduce a 40 man roster by 21 (=35-40-16). I'm going to run through the roster more thoroughly but we only have 5 in their last year who have to go. So have to find another 16 to leave (=21-5).

20 are draft eligible, so that's where the size of the draft is so important. Maybe 9ish get drafted in a typical or reduced draft. IMHO Parada is a lock and Bartnicki, Compton, Gonzo, Huff, Maxwell, Roedig, Simpson and Smith are likely. But a lot can change in the next year as players develop.

In any event, we are overflowing with talent. From a quick look at some other ACC team write-ups on D1 Baseball, most teams are very well stocked to overflowing too. COVID sucks.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Looming MLB negotiating deadline of 1 Dec. https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/...yers-approach-potential-lockout/Bw1HBu0HnUFe/

This is a really big deal as it relates to the size of the draft for us. Unfortunately, the non-MLB players yet to be drafted have very little representation.

We had 16 in the 2022 class. Getting down to 35 next year from the 40 this year means we have to reduce a 40 man roster by 21 (=35-40-16). I'm going to run through the roster more thoroughly but we only have 5 in their last year who have to go. So have to find another 16 to leave (=21-5).

20 are draft eligible, so that's where the size of the draft is so important. Maybe 9ish get drafted in a typical or reduced draft. IMHO Parada is a lock and Bartnicki, Compton, Gonzo, Huff, Maxwell, Roedig, Simpson and Smith are likely. But a lot can change in the next year as players develop.

In any event, we are overflowing with talent. From a quick look at some other ACC team write-ups on D1 Baseball, most teams are very well stocked to overflowing too. COVID sucks.
Undrafted players have NO representation. Not "very little". Unfortunately, players in the minors not on a 40 man roster also have NO representation. So Joey Bart is part of the MLBPA and has representation as a member of the Giants 40 man roster. Xzavion Curry is not on Cleveland's 40 man roster, so he has NO representation with the MLBPA. Will the new CBA change how minor league players are treated? Doubtful, but you never know...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Piss on them. But talented. Another example of how COVID has raised the bar.

Making matters worse, uGag has 3 top 50 projected draftees in 2023 eligible players and we have none. Our strength is in 2022.

Ready for some baseball, but in the shutdown period.

And in MLB negotiation news, nothing I've seen so far about the size of the 2022 draft. But interesting lottery concept for first three rounds:
1638715451735.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Piss on them. But talented. Another example of how COVID has raised the bar.

Making matters worse, uGag has 3 top 50 projected draftees in 2023 eligible players and we have none. Our strength is in 2022.

Ready for some baseball, but in the shutdown period.

And in MLB negotiation news, nothing I've seen so far about the size of the 2022 draft. But interesting lottery concept for first three rounds:
View attachment 11764

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Entertainment purposes only but yes the strength is 2022. This mock also has two 2022 commits Stanford and Diamant going in the top five rounds

Attachments

• 8A74C33A-8D53-49AF-A3D9-9F16D87836C6.jpeg
    8A74C33A-8D53-49AF-A3D9-9F16D87836C6.jpeg
    427 KB · Views: 25
  • 35FC3CFC-EFEB-488E-B78C-CFA08E99420B.jpeg
    35FC3CFC-EFEB-488E-B78C-CFA08E99420B.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 22
  • C75E4F7A-15D1-4C46-A6BA-BFE62BF4AC6C.jpeg
    C75E4F7A-15D1-4C46-A6BA-BFE62BF4AC6C.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 25

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1 came out with their GT article today (Aaron Fitt). No real surprises, it'll be interesting to see where D1 ranks us in their ACC projections. They say as good of things about everyone that they can.

Spoiler:
Lots and lots and lots of pitching potential.
Offensive will be great again. Speed kills.
Question on defense but have alternatives.