Offseason - Baseball

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
D1 came out with their GT article today (Aaron Fitt). No real surprises, it'll be interesting to see where D1 ranks us in their ACC projections. They say as good of things about everyone that they can.

Spoiler:
Lots and lots and lots of pitching potential.
Offensive will be great again. Speed kills.
Question on defense but have alternatives.

Fitt does such a good job with these reports. The guy hustles from State to State and campus to campus. The D1 writers are authorities when it comes to college baseball. Their passion is apparent in their publication. Nice to be able to read detailed reports about teams all over the country. Thought the GT report was pretty comprehensive and accurate. February can’t come fast enough.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fitt does such a good job with these reports. The guy hustles from State to State and campus to campus. The D1 writers are authorities when it comes to college baseball. Their passion is apparent in their publication. Nice to be able to read detailed reports about teams all over the country. Thought the GT report was pretty comprehensive and accurate. February can’t come fast enough.

Fitt does do a good job. It's exciting to see the long list of talent.

From the article.....
The Jackets are certain to be one of the best offensive teams in college baseball — you can take that to the bank.

Oh.... Noooooooo! Fiiiiiiitt! Launch the alert reverse hexter jinxter countermeasures. This is serious business.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

The content is why I don't mind subscribing. I agree about all of their stuff being pretty good.

Before we play a team, I'll often go back and look at these off season reports; they are usually as accurate as one can reasonably expect. That said, they generally have positive spin on things which makes sense; so their pre season predictions are what I look at most.

Here's what they predicted last year. https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2021-acc-preview-deeper-than-ever/
1639836226080.png

And here's where things ended up. Other than ND which had an 4 deviation outlier season and L'Ville uncharacteristically and grossly underperforming their talent, pretty good. Remember these are only regular season projections, we don't want to see the post season guesses based on past performance.
1639836384869.png

Fitt does do a good job. It's exciting to see the long list of talent.

From the article.....
The Jackets are certain to be one of the best offensive teams in college baseball — you can take that to the bank.

Oh.... Noooooooo! Fiiiiiiitt! Launch the alert reverse hexter jinxter countermeasures. This is serious business.

Don't worry, pitching, keeping pitchers in too long and defense will make the games interesting.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
AMAZING drone footage here. Would be sweet to do something similar with the new cage and pitching lab and fly through the clubhouse and Teixeira Terrace.
Especially with sky line we have at GT!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Concerning defense, I wasn't that worried given my favorable memory of the long term defensive performance of our teams. Then I made the mistake of checking the facts.

The stats from last year, looking at errors, most were committed by two players (who were drafted!). If we get a good 3rd fielder, we'll be fine. But that spot has been a problem on and off for the last few decades. Take out Malloy and our .965 team fielding % goes from .965 (187th) to .972 (about 85th) of all D1 baseball teams. Optimistic to do that probably since 3rd has the toughest throws to make. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1/current/team/212/p3

Then looking at 2020, where we were 157th, I got to thinking my memory wasn't right. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2020/stats-def-errors-per-game

So I looked at our fielding % by year (2020 data not on https://ramblinwreck.com/baseball-archive/ ) and bolded the years above .970. Which is not that great overall (Over 100th in 2021).
2021 .965
2019 .972
2018 .969
2017 .968
2016 .970
2015 .975
2014 .974
2013 .973

2022 .961
2021 .966

2021 Season data

1639838504219.png

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Not good news from YouTubeTV today. GOING TO SUCK if not addressed before season
1639845246410.png

Not that I have much influence, but worth tweeting....Can't watch GT games without it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
https://www.sling.com/

Sling Orange is $35/month. Sport Extra another $11/month. Gets all ESPN except ESPN+. Most games on ACCN/ACCNX which comes with Sports Extra.

Has DVR for up to like 20 shows included. I'll record the USC/GT game in a few minutes on one of the PAC12 networks that is included. Been able to see most everything I wanted except for some volleyball on ESPN+. I generally record the stuff and then go back and watch part way through games and skip breaks.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
D1 came out with their GT article today (Aaron Fitt). No real surprises, it'll be interesting to see where D1 ranks us in their ACC projections. They say as good of things about everyone that they can.

Spoiler:
Lots and lots and lots of pitching potential.
Offensive will be great again. Speed kills.
Question on defense but have alternatives.

Does this guy mean 2022?

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Means we got a catcher verbal.
They typically do that after hearing back that a verbal is coming, before it hits Twitter. Up to the player to announce.

Small rant, I like it when the players announce the commitment, not their baseball club. The club shouldn't let the cat out of the bag.
It's the kid's victory. Why steal the kids thunder, just retweet it AFTER he announces it.

Interested to see who we got.

It was nice when Christian committed. Ramsey played up on his conversation with Christian in his "hint". :)
1640007560479.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
RamblinWReck Best Baseball game of 2021 ..... beating uGag in 14. And sweeping the year.

Made all the sweeter since uGag didn't get to the NCAAs as one of the first teams out. Baseball has lots of games and in the end, such small differences make all the difference (y)

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm, where have I heard that before.

If our pitching and defense come together as hoped...

Still can't put my finger on it...

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Just read the report, and I'm ready for baseball! Snow on the ground here in Ohio (not as much as I'd like, but better than nothing...), but let's go! Is it February 18th yet???

Start the season vs the Wright State Raiders, whose campus was basically across the road(s) from where I lived when I moved to Ohio and started my post education career at WPAFB. I'd be rooting for them against anyone other than GT.

I expect to be there on 2/18. Can't wait.