Offseason - Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like only one White and Gold game this year so @702🔜404 had the first right post. From an e-mail today. Are these all open / free? If not and anyone wants to go for me, PM me. I can't go to any.

1634254476726.png

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Can anyone who attended the practice game against Troy today provide some details on what they thought? I saw the box score but I would be particularly interested in any feedback on the new additions to the roster and if any of the pitchers stood out. I noticed Maxwell got all six outs via K's but walked two.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone who attended the practice game against Troy today provide some details on what they thought? I saw the box score but I would be particularly interested in any feedback on the new additions to the roster and if any of the pitchers stood out. I noticed Maxwell got all six outs via K's but walked two.
Yeah, I saw the box score and thought "well, Maxwell hasn't changed one little bit" LOL

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, I saw the box score and thought "well, Maxwell hasn't changed one little bit" LOL

Nope, Maxwell had 42 pitches and only 24 strikes (57%). But he gave up no runs. When we play better teams like he did in the Cape this year, we won't be so lucky unless he makes a jump in his third year here.
1634502843058.png

Things that caught my eye from the box score: https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/gt101621.pdf
  1. Parada and Rubenstein at C. Rubenstein 0 for 3 AB. But he continues to be a HBP machine like Emory with one HBP.
  2. Looks like we gave up 2 unearned runs. Huff had 3 ER and Hull 2 with the rest clean. So two errors (Frye @2nd and Jenkins @ 1st) hurt.
  3. We've got an offense. In 12 innings, 11 runs, 14 LOB and limited by Troy turning 3 DPs. With lots of runners, it's easier to get DPs.
  4. Colin started in CF and had 2 hits and a BB in 3 ABs. His bat needs to improve from the last two years and hopefully it has. I don't think he played summer ball as I didn't see any stats for him.
  5. 3rd base had Compton starting. Didn't see who else played there. Maybe Romano?
  6. In 12 innings played 29 players. After all three games, can see who gets the most PT.
  7. Roedig looks to be back. 15 strikes in 20 pitches over 2.0 clean IP.
  8. Maxwell had 6 SO and 6 outs. But gave up 2 BB. So the other was a HBP or error?
  9. Aeden FInateri was 5 strikes in 7 pitches and got 3 outs in those 7 pitches. Much better than the Maxwell excitement.
  10. Logan McGuire threw 9 of 11 pitches for strikes and no SO. Only 1 hit so pretty good.
  11. Great to at least have baseball back even if only a tease.
  12. And really great to have stats!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Nope, Maxwell had 42 pitches and only 24 strikes (57%). But he gave up no runs. When we play better teams like he did in the Cape this year, we won't be so lucky unless he makes a jump in his third year here.
View attachment 11438

Things that caught my eye from the box score: https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/gt101621.pdf
  1. Parada and Rubenstein at C. Rubenstein 0 for 3 AB. But he continues to be a HBP machine like Emory with one HBP.
  2. Looks like we gave up 2 unearned runs. Huff had 3 ER and Hull 2 with the rest clean. So two errors (Frye @2nd and Jenkins @ 1st) hurt.
  3. We've got an offense. In 12 innings, 11 runs, 14 LOB and limited by Troy turning 3 DPs. With lots of runners, it's easier to get DPs.
  4. Colin started in CF and had 2 hits and a BB in 3 ABs. His bat needs to improve from the last two years and hopefully it has. I don't think he played summer ball as I didn't see any stats for him.
  5. 3rd base had Compton starting. Didn't see who else played there. Maybe Romano?
  6. In 12 innings played 29 players. After all three games, can see who gets the most PT.
  8. Maxwell had 6 SO and 6 outs. But gave up 2 BB. So the other was a HBP or error?
  9. Aeden FInateri was 5 strikes in 7 pitches and got 3 outs in those 7 pitches. Much better than the Maxwell excitement.
  10. Logan McGuire threw 9 of 11 pitches for strikes and no SO. Only 1 hit so pretty good.
If Roedig pitches like that and is truly back from injury, we might have the best rotation in the ACC.

It also looks like Hall already knows what the opening day lineup will look like as well.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
If Roedig pitches like that and is truly back from injury, we might have the best rotation in the ACC.

It also looks like Hall already knows what the opening day lineup will look like as well.
That Parada, Jenkins, Compton, Reid stretch is a true Murderers Row and could produce 60 HRs.

And, with Simpsons speed and contact in the 9 hole, it will be like having 2 leadoff hitters and add a while new dimension to their game.

This could be a fun year.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Also of note, we only have 2 catchers on the entire roster. That is worrisome. There is 49, the BP catcher. But we could be an injury away from trouble in that regard.

Are any position players emergency catchers?

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
View attachment 11438

8. It was a SO on a nasty pitch in the dirt ant the runner reached.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 11438

I was sitting in a pool of 20+ scouts, they weren't putting the radar up and I couldn't make out the gun enough.
Sorry, my eyes are old and suck. I also was trying to read the Braves scout notes but his penmanship was as bad as my eyes.
He was jotting notes on Marquis, Parada, Maxwell, Roedig, and Huff each with their own Scout Page and random notes on others throughout the game.

4. Collin had a CANNON from LF to home plate, beat the guy by 8 ft. Parada met him early, great play. Seemed the guy got his foot in Parada's glove and the ball came out. Awesome play.
5. Compton, then Anderson, then Campbell at 3rd
7. I really like that Cort dropped the deep leg squat motion (that had to get exhausting). New new motion looks like he is pumping an air gun and when it gets his gloves to his eyes - HE FIRES!!! He was dialed in and looked good. Braves scout radar had him at 93.
8 I don't know what happened. It was in the dirt, runner swung or reached. Not sure if he made contact or not. It was an odd call, that's for sure
9 & 10 Aeden and Logan were both dialed in for sure.

Mannely, Crawford, Smith, Siegel, Medich, Bartnicki and Okerholm didn't pitch.
Transfer from Wake came in to close. Cole. He looked good.

Jenkins was en fuego!
Reid and Anderson both had some BOMBs to the warning track.
Jenkins almost got a 3rd HR but hit it too high up, but it was crushed...and caught.

Simpson is so damn fast! Stole 2nd then 3rd in 2 pitches in one inning. Ridiculous speed and some bang up plays, catches and stops at SS.

FYI, roster up. No Freshman pictures but bios included (Maybe they'll get pictures with the 22 official visit- sucks for the 21 class they got shafted on so much as a class) https://ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/roster/