Offseason - Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good baseball day. Braves to World Series. GT beats UAB 17-2.

pdf box score here: https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/gt102321-1.pdf

Notable (at least to me in no particular order):
  • We won 17-2. UAB wasn't that good but we did what we should do. UAB had 3 DPs to our 0 so we could have scored more.
  • 3 errors, all on experienced players. Parada, Johnson & Reid. 1 unearned run.
  • Pitching great with only 1 ER over 12 IP. Huff gave up 1 ER in 1.0 IP on 2 hits and a BB.
  • Maxwell was Maxwell. 2BB and 3 SO and no hits over 2.0 IP. This box score didn't give strikes and pitches. Really appreciate that we have a box score this year exhibition games!
  • 6 pitchers who gave up no hits or BB: Roedig, Bartnicki, McNamee, Dawson Brown, Finateri. Pretty impressive.
  • Hopefully the RamblinWreck article to be written will have pitching velo.
  • Compton start at 3rd, then Anderson and Borden.
  • Catcher Parada and Rubenstein.
  • Power. 5 HR by Parada, Johnson, Reid, Anderson and McNamee.
  • Speed. 3 SB by Simpson in two times on base (H & BB). UAB got 2 SB but I don't know who on (Parada or Rubenstein )
  • Lots of hits (18) but took till the 6th to break it open. 1-1 going to B6. Then Parada lit the fuse with a HR. We took 10 BB and 1 HBP.
This is going to be an interesting team next Spring. Pitching depth much better. Power still there. Defense will come around like it usually does.

White Gold may be a Thursday / Friday pair of games. We won't learn as much from that but hopefully see some more players. After WG, I'll list all the players who appeared and position.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was posting velo from the scoreboard in chat

Yeah, I saved some. Thanks for doing that!

Maxwell up to 99! (2.0 IP, 0 H, 2BB, 3SO)
Grissom sitting 92 up to 95. (2.0 IP, 0H, 1BB, 2 SO)
Roedig up to 97 (1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 SO)

Huff 95-96 (1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 SO)
Bartnicki 94-95 (1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 SO)
McNamee 93-94 (1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 SO)
Mannelly sitting 92 (1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 3 SO)

It was only UAB, and a limited sample. But damn that was good.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Really cool. How much time to pitchers spend getting rid of indicators which show which pitch they are throwing?
A LOT! It's all about the same pitching motion and angle as much as possible.

FYI. Gold/White game Thursday pulled up to tomorrow due to weather. Changed our flights.
April & I will be there tomorrow but miss Friday's game.
This a cool story on how it (tipping pitches) happens at the highest levels on the biggest stage.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/30/stephen-strasburg-nationals-saved-season-world-series-game-6

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Braves claimed that the Dodgers Batboy was going in and out of the dugout to the on deck circle or to the batter.
Does not sound right when the Manager can signal the Third Base Coach with the pitch coming, and then he signals to the hitter?