Official Offseason Uni Thread

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So what is that solid stuff that supports the skater? I am not a brilliant Tech trained engineer but it seems to me that unless they can pull off the miracle performed by Christ that the skaters need ice for support and therefore are “on ice”.
if not someone from Tech should write the Olympic committee about changing the name to water skating.
The pressure of the blade against the ice causes melting and forms a thin layer of water. The blade then glides along the layer of water. Of course, this has been debunked and it's not theorized that there is a liquid water-like layer on the surface of ice that creates the slipperiness. But unless you know to look for this explanation, you'll just have to go with the water melting theory!

Last edited:

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The pressure of the blade against the ice causes melting and forms a thin layer of water. The blade then glides along the layer of water. Of course, this has been debunked and it's not theorized that there is a liquid water-like layer on the surface of ice that creates the slipperiness. But unless you know to look for this explanation, you'll just have to go with the water melting theory!
So it is the ice. Thanks!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Read my whole post. There's more than meets the eye.
I know what you are trying to say but even your own supply shows that the skater is on ice. Yes scientists have shown that the outmost layer of ice acts like water. Regardless, the skater is on ice. I guess I could say that in my house I "walk on urethane" when I walk on my hardwood floors or that red paint isn't red but actually is just a material that absorbs non-red light wave lengths etc Personally I think your view amounts to a false dilemma and your own statements equivocate but whatever this horse is dead. Hope you enjoy the Olympic waterskating tonight.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, this is the first time I have (to my knowledge) ever been called a nerd. Maybe I can fit in with this group.

Since we are nerding it up, water has a triple point. This is where water can exist in equilibrium as a solid, liquid, and a gas simultaneously. Any slight change in pressure or temperature results in a phase change. It just so happens that this equilibrium occurs near 32 degrees and 600 pascals of pressure. This explains how ice skating works; the pressure from the skate along with friction from the skate changes the ice to water. Thermodynamics.

As you wrote, without ice, there is no ice skating. Thankfully, some brilliant soul named solid water ice and gaseous water steam to prevent people from having to say liquid water. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THWG

Helluva Engineer
downloadfile.gif

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know what you are trying to say but even your own supply shows that the skater is on ice. Yes scientists have shown that the outmost layer of ice acts like water. Regardless, the skater is on ice. I guess I could say that in my house I "walk on urethane" when I walk on my hardwood floors or that red paint isn't red but actually is just a material that absorbs non-red light wave lengths etc Personally I think your view amounts to a false dilemma and your own statements equivocate but whatever this horse is dead. Hope you enjoy the Olympic waterskating tonight.
I'm not trying to say anything. I actually said it. Obviously, I was being nerdy about the ice/water thing, but the physics/thermodynamics of the situation aside, I still don't believe you examined my original post closely enough. I suggest you focus by highlighting the most important parts.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'm not trying to say anything. I actually said it. Obviously, I was being nerdy about the ice/water thing, but the physics/thermodynamics of the situation aside, I still don't believe you examined my original post closely enough. I suggest you focus by highlighting the most important parts.

I’m not sure which of your posts you are talking about but one of your posts had a portion of the post in white font on a white background (using Tapatalk). I couldn’t see it until I selected “Reply”.

3e2890aa0e9418e1487774224d25cf6a.jpg

ca2b7ebe98cec4dfe699bf292f7317f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk