Official Offseason Uni Thread

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine what will happen if Alabama ever updates their unis? Holy crap.

One thing that caught my ear in the uvag ad was - “stand the test of time.”

Would venture a guess that in the last 10 years, probably 60% to 70% of the teams finishing in the Top 10 have unis that “stand the test of time.”

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

Ugh. So, I will admit my bias here: I think Bronco Mendenhall is a douchenozzle of the highest order, and I'm inclined to hate anything he does just because he's the one doing it.

SO...
1) The numbers on the helmets are AWFUL. We have (in my opinion) one of the 3 or 4 best logos in college football, and no history of having helmet numbers, so WHY ARE YOU MAKING IT SO DIFFICULT? Just keep the V-sabres on both sides of the helmet! (the fan base, btw, is united on this one. I have not seen a single person who feels otherwise).

2) I personally like the asymetrical stripes on the helmet. I'd prefer if the stripes were narrower. If you're going to pay tribute to the Terry Kirby era Cavs, then do it the same they did, with no space between, and narrow stripes.

Terry_Kirby_Heisman_Candidate2_resized.jpg

3. Auburn actually stole their colors from us, so to say they're Auburny is a little bit backwards, but I get why you'd say it. They've been good for the last 20 years, we haven't.

4. How about Bronco earn a damn winning season before he starts spouting any more lameass 3rd rate business school slogans and putting them on the uniform (I went to a 3rd rate business school (go GW!), I know them when I hear them)

5. I really, really can't stand that dude.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Ugh. So, I will admit my bias here: I think Bronco Mendenhall is a douchenozzle of the highest order, and I'm inclined to hate anything he does just because he's the one doing it.

SO...
1) The numbers on the helmets are AWFUL. We have (in my opinion) one of the 3 or 4 best logos in college football, and no history of having helmet numbers, so WHY ARE YOU MAKING IT SO DIFFICULT? Just keep the V-sabres on both sides of the helmet! (the fan base, btw, is united on this one. I have not seen a single person who feels otherwise).

2) I personally like the asymetrical stripes on the helmet. I'd prefer if the stripes were narrower. If you're going to pay tribute to the Terry Kirby era Cavs, then do it the same they did, with no space between, and narrow stripes.

3. Auburn actually stole their colors from us, so to say they're Auburny is a little bit backwards, but I get why you'd say it. They've been good for the last 20 years, we haven't.

4. How about Bronco earn a damn winning season before he starts spouting any more lameass 3rd rate business school slogans and putting them on the uniform (I went to a 3rd rate business school (go GW!), I know them when I hear them)

That's a much better uniform than Virginia wears now

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

SO...

I always thought these UVA unis were the best. Brings back memories of Shawn and Hernan Moore....that was a nasty combo.

I still think Tech and UVA were the two best teams in 90. UVA just got creamed with injuries.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I've heard this before, but I've never heard it from the players.
As Whiskey_Clear said, the seniors would get to pick the helmets/uniforms at certain times (or always?) in the season.

So long as the team meets his standards for effort, Johnson leaves uniform choices up to the team’s seniors. They have already broken from the standard uniforms once with the throwbacks worn for the Georgia Southern game. The helmets were waiting for players in their lockers prior to Monday’s practice.

“Everybody was pretty excited about it,” said punter Ryan Rodwell, who calls the helmet his favorite. “The white-out’s going to be real fun.”

AJC article: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/white-helmets-for-tech-white-out/w2PZRYkt0Rz3K76IW1NoZI/

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As Whiskey_Clear said, the seniors would get to pick the helmets/uniforms at certain times (or always?) in the season.

AJC article: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/white-helmets-for-tech-white-out/w2PZRYkt0Rz3K76IW1NoZI/
In that quote, Roswell mentions white out uniforms. The uni in this thread was blue.

Be that as it may, coach Johnson was talking about leaving it up for the players to decide between options presented. That doesn’t mean any of the options are worth a darn. The guys basically had to pick the lesser of the evils.

No amount of reasoning will ever get me to like or approve of those ugly *** uniforms.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Rodwell, who calls the helmet his favorite
It took me 2 minutes on google to find one player claiming it his favorite. I am sure if someone is motivated they can find similar.

The haters of the helmet will find cause to hate regardless of anything. It is a tired argument. The fact remains that plenty find the helmet fine, and quite a few even like it.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I always thought these UVA unis were the best. Brings back memories of Shawn and Hernan Moore....that was a nasty combo.

I still think Tech and UVA were the two best teams in 90. UVA just got creamed with injuries.
The loss to Virginia in 1989 kept GT out of a Bowl Game. I think if GT would have went 8-3 in 1989 they would have played Syracuse in the Peach Bowl instead of UGAG.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It took me 2 minutes on google to find one player claiming it his favorite. I am sure if someone is motivated they can find similar.

The haters of the helmet will find cause to hate regardless of anything. It is a tired argument. The fact remains that plenty find the helmet fine, and quite a few even like it.
Fwiw, I don’t hate the helmet, just the bubble wrap jerseys. The helmet looks more like chicken wire than honeycomb, they could’ve done a better job on it, but I don’t hate it. In fact, this uni combo is pretty cool:

newsEngin.17163774_092316-ga-tech-photos-HS25--2-.jpg

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

It wouldn’t surprise me if the players were being honest for them to see meh or even that they dislike it as well. It’s just a personal preference thing. For me, I’m not a huge fan but it’s not awful.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I don’t hate the helmet, just the bubble wrap jerseys. The helmet looks more like chicken wire than honeycomb, they could’ve done a better job on it, but I don’t hate it. In fact, this uni combo is pretty cool:

newsEngin.17163774_092316-ga-tech-photos-HS25--2-.jpg
The honeycomb shoulders was a terrible mistake.
The honeycomb numbers was a tragedy.
Neither of those decisions I could understand. The image you linked looks really sharp. The helmets look like the wrong shade of white though :ROFLMAO: