Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If 2.5 for 3 is accurate, it paints a grim picture of our financials.

I was told it wasn't about total money available, but rather what we were willing to pay him to coach here. He wanted more guaranteed money up front vs incentive than we were willing to budge on. It's not that we didn't have the money to spend. JBatt is proving wiser than his predecessor.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I was told it wasn't about total money available, but rather what we were willing to pay him to coach here. He wanted more guaranteed money up front vs incentive than we were willing to budge on. It's not that we didn't have the money to spend. JBatt is proving wiser than his predecessor.

Well, we'll see if it is actually wiser to go that route or not.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Now that this search is over it is time to see what happens over the next few years. I'll be rooting for Key to succeed.

It will be interesting to see what the final contract numbers are.
One thing I am pretty sure on, there is unlikely to be alot of NIL $. If you can't pay your coach market rate than it is unlikely the money exists within the fanbase to fund a large NIL operation as well.

I'm hoping we have enough money left over to hire a solid staff.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Yet to be determined, imo. Equal chance we just lowballed the better candidate out of the position. Time will tell.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yet to be determined, imo. Equal chance we just lowballed the better candidate out of the position. Time will tell.
I actually don't think time will tell. All we will be able to say in 4 years is how well Key has done. We will have no way of knowing how any othercandidate would have done in the exact same set of circumstances in this time frame. With that being said, however I am confident that we will find those willing to argue and debate on the topic at some point down the road.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've always been a Key fan, ever since his playing days. I thought he hadn't done all that great a job as OL coach, but after the last 8 weeks, I think that is more on TFFG. There's no question that the team rallied around him and that the level of seriousness on the sidelines and on the field geometrically increased. As for the rest, we'll have to see; there's no record to go on here - too small a sample size. I think the talent to have a decent season (6 - 7 wins) is there and, given the breaks, maybe more.

Final word: CONGRATULATIONS, BRENT! WE'RE BEHIND YOU ALL THE WAY! Oh, and TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I actually don't think time will tell. All we will be able to say in 4 years is how well Key has done. We will have no way of knowing how any othercandidate would have done in the exact same set of circumstances in this time frame. With that being said, however I am confident that we will find those willing to argue and debate on the topic at some point down the road.
You think?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Lordy, we're still arguing about Bill Curry.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck

We aren’t comparing a guaranteed home run candidate here - If Fritz is probably 10% better, say, but at the cost of 20% more guaranteed dollars… that marginal dollar commitment may be a bigger risk in the short term than going for Key. We can’t afford to ignore downside risk like with Collins.

Now Batt’s job is to shore up the finances so that if we do end up doing this again in four years we have a better bank statement. And going with the more popular choice could make a big difference.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Optimism breeds success. You should try to embrace it.
Like the optimism for the last guy, the salesman?

I have worked in a lot of successful organizations. Special people working harder & smarter breed success, not unwarranted optimism.

I will be cautiously hopeful that Key can get great coaches hired to run the O. That should be his #1a priority followed closely by 1b. putting together an innovative recruiting plan.

Last edited:

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
To be completely transparent, Key was not my first choice. In fact, hiring him was one of the last options I wanted to see happen. I felt like we needed a fresh voice to lead the team into the future. However, I was excited to see what transpired with Key as interim head coach. The players obviously love him, and that goes a long way in todays landscape. I’ll support him 100%, and hope that he leads us to higher heights than we have seen in a while. Hopefully he is able to keep guys from entering the portal (please bring back Nate!), and really start finishing up this recruiting class. The next thing I’m looking toward is what he does with his staff. I’d love to see alot of turnover with the offensive staff, but I’m sure HCBK already has a list of names he wants to go after. Either way, great for Key, great for the kids and the excitement they showed when he was announced to them, and I can’t wait for fall of ‘23!