Offensive Styles

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know why we keep arguing some of these points about our offensive scheme vs other spread or option oriented offenses. We employ a very sound and proven way to play football. There are lots of other good schemes out there, but ours is extremely effective despite the fact that it is not the hurry up, no huddle flavor of the month. One thing I love is how fast our O hits. I regularly hear opposing coaches and a lot of the pundits mention how hard it is to simulate the speed that we operate at.

All good schemes need good athletes to be successful at the highest level. That is and probably always will be GT's greatest challenge. Fortunately, the guys we bring in seem to be of higher and higher quality. I hope the trend continues.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
fify. Our offense allows us to compete with this.

How about the other "factories with unlimited resources and access to blue chip athletes" that DON'T run the spread option? More specifically, 'Bama and FSU teams with "traditional" offenses that play under center? Their defenses got the brakes beaten off of them by Oregon and OSU. I think you're taking ATL's comment out of context to fit your narrative.

I think some of you guys are making WAAAY too much out of this. Every offense works, none is better than the other. It boils down to execution. When we couldn't execute, we looked like a mess (2013? LSU in the Chick-fil-a? Iowa in the OB? 2012 versus UGA?)...playing under center or from the shotgun or from the sideline didn't help us.

Look at GA Southern's offense this year against us. We had the superior athletes, yet they were able to march up and down on us at will in the second half. They played out of the gun? Didn't hurt them in converting first downs did it?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As 2 spread option teams play for a NC tonight.
Should have added the point - unless you can recruit in top 4 every year (ala, oreg, fsu, Ohio state)...... or have a great qb - spread ( run oriented) makes no sense.

Now it's ust a matter of ---Just recruit the best and you have a very good chance of winning it all.

Now according to college ratings baylor, tcu and gt using very different offenses would play the top four close ( I was at fsu gt game and they were one fumble away from defeat)

(bear Bryant said about shug jordan the great Auburn coach - he can take his n and beat you n or he can take your n and beat his n)

Now Assume baylor, tcu and gt run the run oriented spread with present talent like the four playoff teams -- not even close.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Now according to college ratings baylor, tcu and gt using very different offenses would play the top four close ( I was at fsu gt game and they were one fumble away from defeat)

(bear Bryant said about shug jordan the great Auburn coach - he can take his n and beat you n or he can take your n and beat his n)

Now Assume baylor, tcu and gt run the run oriented spread with present talent like the four playoff teams -- not even close.

That's why I like college football way more than the NFL game. There are so many good offenses playing various styles.

It's been said that innovation occurs at the bottom and gets stifled the higher you go. That's in any walk of life because once people find success, they become conservative. You see that in companies, and you certainly see it in the NFL. It's not a coincidence the read option became prevalent once college coaches (Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, Chip Kelly) went to the NFL. Even though Carroll had his foundations in the NFL, the college game really opened his eyes to what would work on a fundamental level. That's why I shake my head when people say CPJ's offense wouldn't work in the NFL, even though concepts from our offense are already being used at that level.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
How about the other "factories with unlimited resources and access to blue chip athletes" that DON'T run the spread option? More specifically, 'Bama and FSU teams with "traditional" offenses that play under center? Their defenses got the brakes beaten off of them by Oregon and OSU. I think you're taking ATL's comment out of context to fit your narrative.

I think some of you guys are making WAAAY too much out of this. Every offense works, none is better than the other. It boils down to execution. When we couldn't execute, we looked like a mess (2013? LSU in the Chick-fil-a? Iowa in the OB? 2012 versus UGA?)...playing under center or from the shotgun or from the sideline didn't help us.

Look at GA Southern's offense this year against us. We had the superior athletes, yet they were able to march up and down on us at will in the second half. They played out of the gun? Didn't hurt them in converting first downs did it?
That speaks more to how bad our D is not how good GSU's offense is.

The original point of the OP was what is best for GT, not Oregon or tOSU. Another big point in the OP was goal line situations. Our offense, and especially CPJ's mastery of it, allows us to not only compete with, but defeat factories with 10x the resources.

Here's a hypothetical exercise for you: imagine a game where GT met Oregon on a neutral field and swapped defenses. That's right, our O and Oregon's D vs. their O and our D. Oregon is beating teams with more than their offense.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Great Jimmies and Joes without good execution makes any offense (or defense) look "not so good". They scheme is only part of the equation.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That speaks more to how bad our D is not how good GSU's offense is.

The original point of the OP was what is best for GT, not Oregon or tOSU. Another big point in the OP was goal line situations. Our offense, and especially CPJ's mastery of it, allows us to not only compete with, but defeat factories with 10x the resources.

Here's a hypothetical exercise for you: imagine a game where GT met Oregon on a neutral field and swapped defenses. That's right, our O and Oregon's D vs. their O and our D. Oregon is beating teams with more than their offense.

Um no, the Boomer's original post was about playing from UC compared to some team's inept attempts at getting first downs from shotgun alignments that take the ball further back.

ATL's point was with all this talk about how great our offense is from UC, the two teams playing for the NC are shotgun spread teams.

YOU are making this about how it's best for GT. No need to turn EVERY thread into a "woe is GT" thread. We just had a great season, enjoy it man.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Um no, the Boomer's original post was about playing from UC compared to some team's inept attempts at getting first downs from shotgun alignments that take the ball further back.

ATL's point was with all this talk about how great our offense is from UC, the two teams playing for the NC are shotgun spread teams.

YOU are making this about how it's best for GT. No need to turn EVERY thread into a "woe is GT" thread. We just had a great season, enjoy it man.
Where did I say "woe is GT"? Stop putting words in peoples mouths and how about getting off your high horse for ONCE. If you are referencing my citing the disparity in resources between Oregon and GT, it's a relevant point to why UC is better for us, we don't typically pull in a hoard of blue chip linemen and skill guys like Oregon.

To evidence my point that the OP was about how under center is best for GT, here's Boomer's exact words from the original post:

"Is anybody else besides me exceedingly pleased that we run our offense from under center?"

It can't be anymore plainer than that. So you're wrong twice in the same post. And just so you know, I thoroughly enjoyed the season, so I guess that makes 3 times.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
With this incoming class holding we'll have perhaps one of the fastest teams in the ACC. Are we a factory? I dont get the defeatest attitude. GT puts players in the NFL just like any other team including these "factories". We have to recruit differently but that doesn't mean we can't/haven't field a teams with talented players.

GSU should have beaten us they had NC State on the ropes and they gonna give UGA all they can handle next season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Where did I say "woe is GT"? Stop putting words in peoples mouths and how about getting off your high horse for ONCE. If you are referencing my citing the disparity in resources between Oregon and GT, it's a relevant point to why UC is better for us, we don't typically pull in a hoard of blue chip linemen and skill guys like Oregon.

To evidence my point that the OP was about how under center is best for GT, here's Boomer's exact words from the original post, "Is anybody else besides me exceedingly pleased that we run our offense from under center?"

It can't be anymore plainer than that. So you're wrong twice in the same post. And just so you know, I thoroughly enjoyed the season, so I guess that makes 3 times.

Um, we run our offense from under center? (strategically) is NOT the same "what's best for GT" (with respect to resources). Nice try.

You pretty much say "woe is GT" (figuratively, not literally) in pretty any thread that compliments another team or conference...yeah, we get it...GT doesn't play on the same playing field as everyone, and the ACC gets slighted...no need to bring it up in EVERY thread you comment in.

And since you're being literal, I"m not on a high horse, I'm on a leather office chair. :)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
With this incoming class holding we'll have perhaps one of the fastest teams in the ACC. Are we a factory? I dont get the defeatest attitude. GT puts players in the NFL just like any other team including these "factories". We have to recruit differently but that doesn't mean we can't/haven't field a teams with talented players.

GSU should have beaten us they had NC State on the ropes and they gonna give UGA all they can handle next season.
If we had played GSU in December we would have annihilated them. Point being, we came a long way during the season. Our OB team was 5x better than our GSU one and that includes being down Smelter, Snoddy and Zenon on offense.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't get me wrong. There are some explosive Shotgun / Read Option offenses out there that score a lot. My most basic point was that I have seen many of these teams struggle when they "have to get" 2 yards, whether in goal to go or 4th down scenarios. It seems I saw a lot of plays blow up in the backfield during bowl season with the shotgun snap, far more than I can ever remember from GT over the years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Um, we run our offense from under center? (strategically) is NOT the same "what's best for GT" (with respect to resources). Nice try.

You pretty much say "woe is GT" (figuratively, not literally) in pretty any thread that compliments another team or conference...yeah, we get it...GT doesn't play on the same playing field as everyone, and the ACC gets slighted...no need to bring it up in EVERY thread you comment in.

And since you're being literal, I"m not on a high horse, I'm on a leather office chair. :)
I bring up points that are specific to my argument in the specific thread. Again, noting the talent disparity is on point in the discussion. Show me how it's not. Your perception of my posting history suggests an unhealthy obsession, imo. :eek:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Or the same annoyance I get from pan handlers who tell me they can't get a fair shake in life every day in Atlanta when asking for change.
Not exactly, it's your annoyance and perseveration with one tiny part of my posting history that deludes you into thinking it's much bigger than it really is. Let's get back to the thread discussion, shall we?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
GSU can make that same claim as the got stronger during the year and went undefeated in their conference.

@Boomergump I agree it pains me to watch Texas A&M in the redzone. Baylor I see run goaline from under center, but yeah its irritating.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
ASk a Clemson fan about what they think about running short yardage plays from the gun. They muffed a win over FSU because of one.
It's kind of funny - the same Clemson fans who think the GT offense is antiquated were cussing Chad Morris for weeks after Clemson lost to FSU because they were unable to gain any yards in short yardage situations due to running their plays out of the shotgun.