Offensive Styles

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I got to thinking after reading a comment in another thread. Is anybody else besides me exceedingly pleased that we run our offense from under center? Believe it or not, I have watched at least a portion of every single bowl game this year and probably 70% or so of the total snaps. So many of the teams playing now execute their run game out of the gun. While the read option can be hard to stop in general, it is an epic fail in short yardage situations. Time and time again I watched teams get tackled in the backfield in crucial goal to go, or 4th and short type situations. The plays are just so slow hitting that run blitzes or just a DL beating his guy will stone it. In our offense, the plays hit so fast that it renders those D tactics useless. A DL beating his guy is always good for the defense, but against us, it better be the right DL guy (meaning in the designed gap for the play) because he won't have time to get into the backfield.

We don't give defenses a 4 yard head start and hope the option numbers make up for it. What say you?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I watched the Medal of Honor Bowl & spent half the time yelling at the QB "don't just stand there, run with the ball". Talk about high school offense. Most of the plays yesterday took too long to develop & looked sloppy. I sure did miss our play execution. Of course, Synjyn's TD run was the exception.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the Medal of Honor Bowl & spent half the time yelling at the QB "don't just stand there, run with the ball". Talk about high school offense. Most of the plays yesterday took too long to develop & looked sloppy. I sure did miss our play execution. Of course, Synjyn's TD run was the exception.
Especially the kid from BC. He was a statue in the pocket. Three-step drop and just stand there.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with posts. My only change for us is that I would like to see us go automatically to T Bylerly #18 anytime we are inside 5 yard line. Totally changes what defense has to do and really brings sneak into play like The Warrior used to own!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I got to thinking after reading a comment in another thread. Is anybody else besides me exceedingly pleased that we run our offense from under center?

What say you?

I agree with you with one small exception....when it's 3rd and extremely long. Defenders aren't respecting the dive or any type of play action. Seems like a waste of time and energy (imo) for the QB to be under center. You can still roll JT out from the shotgun if need be. or allow him to run a draw and get yards if it's there (la his last run against Uga prior to THE KICK).

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
ASk a Clemson fan about what they think about running short yardage plays from the gun. They muffed a win over FSU because of one.

tugdog235

Georgia Tech Fan
I was looking up how Oregon's offense works for the game tomorrow and the site claimed that Oregon had the most negative yardage plays of any team. Though I will admit I like to see pistol on obvious passing downs, I am perfectly happy with running our rushing assault from under center.

Honestly, I fell like some teams don't even practice it at all (See Clemson), which is probably more silly than never being in shotgun.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you with one small exception....when it's 3rd and extremely long. Defenders aren't respecting the dive or any type of play action. Seems like a waste of time and energy (imo) for the QB to be under center. You can still roll JT out from the shotgun if need be. or allow him to run a draw and get yards if it's there (la his last run against Uga prior to THE KICK).

And yet we audibled to a run play and picked up a long third down with Synjin against Clemson. We were able to run on third and long more often than most (if not all) other teams in the country.

I want CPJ to run his offense -- whatever it is. I think he tweaked it in prior years to make a segment of the fan base happy and it wasnt an improvement... Lets just do what we do and do it well.

/

BTGT

Georgia Tech Fan
As a high school basketball coach and having talked with other coaches for many years, the truth is you can only be good at so many things. I believe it's better to be limited in variety and be really good at what you do than to push for variety and be average in many things. Do we want to be effective at adjusting from our base to an unbalanced line to attack different gaps or good at our base and decent at unbalanced, shotgun pistol, diamond...and so on. I'll take what I saw this year and let the dynamic plays of the QB be variety enough.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with posts. My only change for us is that I would like to see us go automatically to T Bylerly #18 anytime we are inside 5 yard line. Totally changes what defense has to do and really brings sneak into play like The Warrior used to own!
Yeah because we have trouble scoring in the red zone.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's one thing the "pro" game probably does right. Instead of being "married" to one formation, the pro offenses have different packages for different situations. You'll see a lot of UC formations with jumbo packages in short yardage/goal line situations. Heck, even CPJ use to run a "jumbo" package during his Hawaii days for goal line and short yardage situations.

The more I've learned about football over the years, the more I've realized how counter-intuitive some things are in football. For instance, in short yardage situations, why do offenses put their jumbo packages in and crowd the LOS to gain 1-3 yards? When you do that, the defense answers by crowding the same space, and now you have more bodies defending the area you're trying to gain yardage. To make matters worse, you run a play right up the middle where there's the most density of bodies. Must be the old school, tough "mano-e-mano" my guys are going to beat your guys to prove were tougher than you philosophy still alive. Just me, I'd rather get that 1 extra yard to convert than prove who's tougher on one play.

I like how we're set up for power, but we also have the ability to use speed to the perimeter if the numbers don't work out for us between the tackles. You can't just put 8 guys in the box on us and hope to beat us on brute strength.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I agree Boomer. I got extremely tired of watching WR screens and the read option during bowl games this year. One of my friends that used to dislike our offense said recently that now that JT is running it, he is really enjoying it and part of that is because it is just refreshing to see smash mouth football, which is my personal favorite. I got chills every time we ran the dive right down teams throats this year 5-10 times in a row.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Being good at one thing is very important. I can't speak to the other sports, but at Marist with bball and football, we ran the exact same offense from 7th grade to 12th. Most years we weren't too effective from 7-9th, but by the time we hit jv and varsity, our motion offense and wishbone were very efficient and effective.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
One thing I have heard "old" coaches preach over and over: never go backwards with the football when you are inside either 20 yard line.