Offensive Scheme Q&A Thread

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I guess I'm referring to the short passing routes seen here, in this Sammy Watkins highlight clip;

From what I've seen and understand from what other people have said about the offense that adding plays like that wouldn't do a whole lot for us.

For example, the toss sweep is our way of doing this exact thing.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
From what I've seen and understand from what other people have said about the offense that adding plays like that wouldn't do a whole lot for us.

For example, the toss sweep is our way of doing this exact thing.

I don't see how.
They don't do the same thing at all.

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't see how.

The bubble screen and the toss sweep are both quick hitting plays to get the ball out to attack the perimeter. Two totally different plays designed to attack the same part of the field and do it quickly.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how.

Sure they do. Look at what's going on when the ball carrier gets the ball. You've got a player on the perimeter, in space, with a couple blockers in front and it happens very quickly after the ball is snapped.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The bubble screen and the toss sweep are both quick hitting plays to get the ball out to attack the perimeter. Two totally different plays designed to attack the same part of the field and do it quickly.

OK this I see.
But in a toss your putting the ball in the backfield and place pressure on the OL & perimeter players to make sure they protect the carrier until he gets the edge.

In a bubble screen the ball is thrown to the perimeter where the onus is more on other perimeter players to secure the blocking isolating the wr a lot quicker imo. It just seems like it would get the wr/aback in space quicker than a toss sweep. It's interesting how little we use screens in this offense when they are the source of many explosive plays in so many other offenses especially other "spread" option based offenses. Didn't CPJ use screens quit a bit at GSU?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If you spread the D out you end up with more defenders near the edge which is a 1 on 1 situation. The rocket toss is used when the LBs overcommit to the dive by plugging the center gaps. The edge blocking should have a numbers advantage with the AB BB sealing the edge.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If you spread the D out you end up with more defenders near the edge which is a 1 on 1 situation. The rocket toss is used when the LBs overcommit to the dive by plugging the center gaps. The edge blocking should have a numbers advantage with the AB BB sealing the edge.

It would probably be difficult to do wr bubble screens out the flexbone anyway.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
We have run the bubble screen out of the pistol spread formation; VA Tech 2012, for instance.
CPJ was looking at the OLB's alignment and reaction. I thought it was a nice little set-up. Unfortunately, we haven't done it much (if it all) since then.

We could easily run a bubble screen to our middle A-back/Slot WR in a trips look. That's a good call when teams don't rotate anyone out on that guy.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
@stylee I saw a WR bubble screen twice in these highlights, one great one against UGA. I don't understand why it's not more of a part of our offense.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I see a smoke screen and a tunnel screen v. UGA. I don't see a bubble screen, wherein a slot guy "bubbles" out.
Maybe this is just a terminology thing.

tugdog235

Georgia Tech Fan
@stylee I saw a WR bubble screen twice in these highlights, one great one against UGA. I don't understand why it's not more of a part of our offense.

I saw similar screens to Smelter at the beginning of the 2013 season, with varying degrees of success. It got phased out as defenses paid more attention to him I suppose. Thomas had the ability to make that first guy miss as well, I don't know if I've seen any of our current receivers do anything like that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I saw similar screens to Smelter at the beginning of the 2013 season, with varying degrees of success. It got phased out as defenses paid more attention to him I suppose. Thomas had the ability to make that first guy miss as well, I don't know if I've seen any of our current receivers do anything like that.
It's called a "stiff arm" and he uses it to perfection:

20131117__demaryius-thomas-stiffarm-broncos-111713~p1.jpg