Offensive Gameplan

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
OT we try the same thing but call a slow developing triple option play on 2nd down that just looked awkward. We also motioned the back in bringing another defender for the O to block.

I was screaming WHY? when I saw the motion bringing an extra defender into the box as we attempted to run up the middle. Did we learn nothing from the previous 60 min?

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Couldn't agree more but I do think that play would add a wrinkle. Just feel like it should of been attempted during normal time. I liked the formation overall really felt like it allowed running lanes to develop when we spread them out and had a running QB in the backfield. It gave us a numbers advantage.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll throw in my two cents.

1. T. Oliver is the QB. Everyone else is a backup. You don’t have to say it since that may be counter to the ATL philosophy, but that is what needs to happen.

2. The TE needs to have only two spots in the formation and motion is limited to going from spot A to spot B. Use him a blocker with very limited passing catching responsibilities. The QB has three new receiver route trees to learn and a TE pass tree is just too much right now.

3. Adopt a simple ground package. Maybe midline, power, and jet sweep. These should be close enough to what the team is used to doing to be useable in a game. In practice, work on adding a zone read since that is probably where you want to be long term.

4. Reduce the number of formations. The shotgun single back is the base and the variations are TE left or right or replaced with a slot receiver. The receivers are trips right or left.

5. Install a jailbreak screen and bubble screen. With all the former AB on the roster, I’m shocked this isn’t a staple of the offense.

Your playbook is to use the formation, screens, and the occasional deep pass to pull the defense from the LOS and then run when when once you get favorable numbers up front.

Since the transition from the 3TO is asking the entire offense to move differently than what they are accustomed, we need a simple set of fundamental plays that can be repped continuously. Once the players the movements become second nature, then the specialty plays, alternate formations, etc. can be added.

I feel like Patenaude, in the effort to fit an offense to the players, failed to create an offense. After evaluating the players in spring practice he should have decided on an offensive philosophy and a set of plays. At that point, he should have begun fitting players to offense. Fall practice should have been purely focused on identifying which players are best suited for which role. In other words, spring was for fitting the offense to the players and fall was for fitting the players to the offense.

Animal02

Banned

1. T. Oliver is the QB. Everyone else is a backup. You don’t have to say it since that may be counter to the ATL philosophy, but that is what needs to happen.

2. The TE needs to have only two spots in the formation and motion is limited to going from spot A to spot B. Use him a blocker with very limited passing catching responsibilities. The QB has three new receiver route trees to learn and a TE pass tree is just too much right now.

3. Adopt a simple ground package. Maybe midline, power, and jet sweep. These should be close enough to what the team is used to doing to be useable in a game. In practice, work on adding a zone read since that is probably where you want to be long term.

4. Reduce the number of formations. The shotgun single back is the base and the variations are TE left or right or replaced with a slot receiver. The receivers are trips right or left.

5. Install a jailbreak screen and bubble screen. With all the former AB on the roster, I’m shocked this isn’t a staple of the offense.

Your playbook is to use the formation, screens, and the occasional deep pass to pull the defense from the LOS and then run when when once you get favorable numbers up front.

Since the transition from the 3TO is asking the entire offense to move differently than what they are accustomed, we need a simple set of fundamental plays that can be repped continuously. Once the players the movements become second nature, then the specialty plays, alternate formations, etc. can be added.

I feel like Patenaude, in the effort to fit an offense to the players, failed to create an offense. After evaluating the players in spring practice he should have decided on an offensive philosophy and a set of plays. At that point, he should have begun fitting players to offense. Fall practice should have been purely focused on identifying which players are best suited for which role. In other words, spring was for fitting the offense to the players and fall was for fitting the players to the offense.
I assume by "fall practice" you mean summer camp. Fall practice (those the week before each game) should be dedicated to fine tuning / making adjustments to your base set to what the opponent does.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I assume by "fall practice" you mean summer camp. Fall practice (those the week before each game) should be dedicated to fine tuning / making adjustments to your base set to what the opponent does.

I may have butchered the terminology. I meant the month or so of practice right before the season begins. I think we’re saying the same thing.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I'm just curious when we will see an actual offense. At this point it all seems willynilly and whatever Pnut feels like running. Why tf are we taking deep shots every time???? We dont have a QB who can pass the ball effectively, so common sense would say, throw dump passes, screens and button hooks until someone figures out how to throw the ball.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
We need to run an RPO offense with Tobias Oliver, let him give it to the back, or do a speed option where he can run it himself or pitch it, and if the defense steps up make a quick short pass which we have seen Oliver can do.

Let Oliver get more comfortable by sticking with him and running more plays like listed above. That's going to be the best way to go I think, and then maybe Oliver will be able to get better at throwing deep balls.

Lucas Johnson should not see the field anymore unless both Oliver and Graham are hurt. It's been two games now where Johnson has looked completely unimpressive and stagnant when he is running the offense.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Given that the new coaching staff, particularly for offense, presumably has a philosophy of fitting the offense to the players -- it seems to this mere fan that in transition year 1, you stick to a run-heavy offense (as has been done) but keep plenty of option features; year 2, less so; year 3, even less so, as the players recruited for the previous regime eventually move on.

Go ahead, do it out of a shotgun and/or pistol since you insist. For example, see what little Davidson does with its "gun triple-option." Look at

Thanks for posting this. On the few pass plays shown in those highlights, I was impressed with how quickly the QB got rid of the ball. The OL had to hold their blocks for only a very short time. Why can’t we do that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTFLETCH

Banned

You make to much sense...SPOT ON

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Graham has to be the QB if we want to take a step forward next year. If all we want to do is try and win now then go with Oliver. Graham has Joe Ham type skill and he should be given a chance to show it. With Graham’s ability we can win some ACC games. With Oliver we won’t because with some film now available all ACC DC’s know our 4 plays that Tobias runs and they’ll stack the box more than Citadel did. I love Tobias but he can’t pass enough to keep anyone honest. Graham can and I also believe Graham has similar wheels to Tobias. He needs a shot just like Tobias got last year.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Graham has to be the QB if we want to take a step forward next year. If all we want to do is try and win now then go with Oliver. Graham has Joe Ham type skill and he should be given a chance to show it. With Graham’s ability we can win some ACC games. With Oliver we won’t because with some film now available all ACC DC’s know our 4 plays that Tobias runs and they’ll stack the box more than Citadel did. I love Tobias but he can’t pass enough to keep anyone honest. Graham can and I also believe Graham has similar wheels to Tobias. He needs a shot just like Tobias got last year.

I don’t disagree with you on your opinion of Graham. How can DCs load the box more than what citadel did? They were playing each receiver straight up with a FS in the middle. If they role the FS into the box it leaves the receivers on an island. If they move a corner into the box it leaves a 2 on 1 on the outside. When we split two receivers wide we had 7 in the box compared to their 6 and we have a mobile QB. I completely think we had a numbers advantage and were getting big chunks. This should have been our offense all along. If we aren’t able to get the push up the middle than we should spread them out to where we get some natural running lanes.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
We don't exactly have a lot to work with so the struggles are not surprising. Poor playcalling, poor execution, and lack of talent have all been on display so far.

Our coaches are overthinking it with the playcalling and QB rotation. The coaches are seemingly caught between trying to do what gives the team the best chance to win and trying to run what they want the offense to eventually evolve into. I would try to do what gives me the best shot at winning now this season.

At this point, it looks like know what we have in TO and LJ. JG is still an unknown but has shown flashes. TO is great with the ball in his hands, decisive, tough and has the most experience. LJ is our 'passing QB' but does not see the field well, is slow in his progressions, and lacks the quickness and shiftiness we need to make plays with our depleted offensive line. I don't see the upside in bringing in LJ in passing situations.

This all points to one thing - roll with TO and run the ball with him and Mason. They are our best 2 skill players, lean on them. This approach certainly has a ceiling as we have also seen. Defenses will load the box and try to get us behind schedule and force us to pass. In passing situations, because the protection is likely to break down, I still prefer TO because he is much more elusive. If we are having to scramble for first downs, give me TO over LJ.

And when the defense sells out to stop the run and leave Camp and Carter on an island, give them a chance to make a play. With the defenders face guarding our guys like they did last week, we should have utilized the back shoulder/under thrown deep ball much more often. This is where we had an obvious talent and size mismatch and does not require the OL to hold their blocks for long to get this pass off. I think TO is plenty capable of this pass. LJ was criticized by some for underthrowing the TD pass to Camp but that is exactly where the ball should have been thrown (even though it wasn't a pretty spiral).

Also, I'd like to see us try to incorporate Brown into the gameplan like Purdue utilizes Rondale Moore. If he is as fast and elusive as the coaches say, throw him some bubble screens, run jet sweeps, get him matched up on a LB or safety like the TD catch vs Clemson.

If we stick with TO or if JG gets healthy and we ride with one exclusively, I think we can find a way to win a couple more games. I don't see us winning another game with LJ playing significant snaps unless a lightbulb comes on and he magically starts seeing the field better.

I'm hoping Coach P eventually settles on TO or JG and finds a rhythm with his playcalling. I think our defense will keep us in a few games (Coastal is weak) and hopefully our offense can do just enough to help us get a few more Ws.

White_Gold

GT Athlete

I’ll agree and add that instead of a TE, take an offensive lineman and use him to block.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Given that the new coaching staff, particularly for offense, presumably has a philosophy of fitting the offense to the players -- it seems to this mere fan that in transition year 1, you stick to a run-heavy offense (as has been done) but keep plenty of option features; year 2, less so; year 3, even less so, as the players recruited for the previous regime eventually move on.

Go ahead, do it out of a shotgun and/or pistol since you insist. For example, see what little Davidson does with its "gun triple-option." Look at

It's not like we're not:

Animal02

Banned
We don't exactly have a lot to work with so the struggles are not surprising. Poor playcalling, poor execution, and lack of talent have all been on display so far.

Our coaches are overthinking it with the playcalling and QB rotation. The coaches are seemingly caught between trying to do what gives the team the best chance to win and trying to run what they want the offense to eventually evolve into. I would try to do what gives me the best shot at winning now this season.

At this point, it looks like know what we have in TO and LJ. JG is still an unknown but has shown flashes. TO is great with the ball in his hands, decisive, tough and has the most experience. LJ is our 'passing QB' but does not see the field well, is slow in his progressions, and lacks the quickness and shiftiness we need to make plays with our depleted offensive line. I don't see the upside in bringing in LJ in passing situations.

This all points to one thing - roll with TO and run the ball with him and Mason. They are our best 2 skill players, lean on them. This approach certainly has a ceiling as we have also seen. Defenses will load the box and try to get us behind schedule and force us to pass. In passing situations, because the protection is likely to break down, I still prefer TO because he is much more elusive. If we are having to scramble for first downs, give me TO over LJ.

And when the defense sells out to stop the run and leave Camp and Carter on an island, give them a chance to make a play. With the defenders face guarding our guys like they did last week, we should have utilized the back shoulder/under thrown deep ball much more often. This is where we had an obvious talent and size mismatch and does not require the OL to hold their blocks for long to get this pass off. I think TO is plenty capable of this pass. LJ was criticized by some for underthrowing the TD pass to Camp but that is exactly where the ball should have been thrown (even though it wasn't a pretty spiral).

Also, I'd like to see us try to incorporate Brown into the gameplan like Purdue utilizes Rondale Moore. If he is as fast and elusive as the coaches say, throw him some bubble screens, run jet sweeps, get him matched up on a LB or safety like the TD catch vs Clemson.

If we stick with TO or if JG gets healthy and we ride with one exclusively, I think we can find a way to win a couple more games. I don't see us winning another game with LJ playing significant snaps unless a lightbulb comes on and he magically starts seeing the field better.

I'm hoping Coach P eventually settles on TO or JG and finds a rhythm with his playcalling. I think our defense will keep us in a few games (Coastal is weak) and hopefully our offense can do just enough to help us get a few more Ws.
It all points to one thing.....we hired someone with two years coaching experience at a lower level that now has to learn on the job.
And we have learned that there are a whole lot of posters more than willing to throw the players under the bus in order to throw a dog leaf over the coaching staff.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If I were the O-coordinator, and of course I am not qualified to be such, I would run as much double option with TO and Mason as possible the next game. I would say we have seen positive plays on that type of action 3 out of 4 plays run, but we don't stick with it long enough in my opinion. The OC has got his work cut out for him hiding the weakness that is our O line.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
He reminds me of some of the RBs from Bama over the last several years. Big, strong, can't bring him down one-one-one, straight line speed.

When he came in, I saw him as another Mikell Lands-Davis... not sure if he was a BB or an AB, wasn't sure if he'd be starter quality.

JM has exceeded all expectations. And he (along with TO) are our most clutch offensive performers.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
This team should be in 12 personnel
Mason and the backs should get 20+ touches
Play action deep shots
A solid screen game whether to WR’s or backs
Quick hitters to the Flats or slants

That’s it.
The OB’s should not be throwing more than 15 times a game. The OLine not built for it and the qb’s not ready for it. Simple.