Offensive Gameplan

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll add that we also looked good when we spread out the team by splitting our WOs 2 on each side and having the running back line up behind TO. RB motioned to show strength right before the ball was snapped.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Despite all the talk of a player base spread offense all we are really seeing is a single back spread formation, no real spread offense.

This stat is telling. For the season, (give or take) 232 runs and 45 passes.

We are using a O Line that everyone says is the weakest point of our offense and placing them squarely in control of the offensive performance. We cannot send one back, with no lead blocker off tackle or on sweeps if our tackles are struggling to block anyone.

The Answer is to pass more. If the line is struggling we need slants and outs to move the ball. We need. More up the middle running. A defense loves to force a RB to the boundary because if he is moving across the field looking for a hole it means he isn’t moving up the field, we are doing the defenses job with these off tackle runs. All they have to do is blow up the tackle and the play is dead. We need More 2 back sets when we do run so there is someone to take out the LB, as it is our one back is trying to dodge the LB almost as soon as he gets the ball. Remember the play where Mason was hit AS HE TOOK the handoff, a lead blocker stops that.

Ultimately none of this will happen because I don’t think any HC or OC cares what fans think, and probably shouldn’t, but damn 230+ runs and we have what 4 rushing TDs out of our backs ? Our TE has 3 catches ? The fastest man we have hasn’t caught but 7-8 balls ? Why would any HC not see this ?

Quick hitters protect the QB and the O line, we all yelled about this under CPJ — it still isn’t happening.

What about some screens ? Don’t they slow down a rushing LB ?

This stuff is why I say the coaches are coaching down the team, they are making it look like a total rebuild when it doesn’t have to be.

Seriously how many slants or WR screens has Brown caught, ridiculously low number, 2 slants maybe ?

Let it sink in 45 passes all year (going off memory) from a spread formation!!!!!!!!!!! How could that possibly work ?

Last edited:
From what I saw on Saturday,,, Quarterback play is the key,,, it doesn't appear that Oliver throws well, and LJ throws a ball that floats,,, we need a quality QB asap! I like TO, but as a running back. This year, TO may be our best choice, but not the answer.
Leave him in there long enough to develop a rhythm, and he MIGHT prove to be the answer. But Graham should definitely be used over LJ, and hell, Yates has 4 free games to play in; give him a chance too.

slugboy

Staff member
I think I’d have a better opinion if I watched a replay of offense. I find that I miss too much important aspects of what happened if I just rely on my memory. Also, I might see what the QB did, but miss what the linemen and receivers did.

I have seen a few things. Players don’t know their assignments, or they aren’t doing them. I don’t think we have a complex blocking scheme, but we’ve entirely missed defenders all three games. I’m afraid the answer to this is lots more repetition with the scout team and coaches throwing all sorts of confusion at the other players. Don’t just use the scout team, use anyone you can to get the blocking down pat.

It looks like the wide receivers have quit blocking this year. Bring back “you don’t block, you don’t play”.

On one hand, I would like them to simplify the playbook if that would help players execute better. On the other hand, taking a snap from under center on second and 1 makes sense, and plenty of pro “shotgun QBs” do that.

I’ve seen requests for a rocket toss. In this offense, you usually accomplish the same thing with what I learned as a flair pass (outlet pass to the RB). You have to get perimeter blocking for that to work, and we haven’t been blocking outside.

For the next two weeks, if I was OC, blocking would be my first priority, and faster reads and throws would be my second.

It’s rare you can throw when a player is open, unless they’re behind everyone and just streaking to the goal line. You have to throw when they’re about to come open, when the defense doesn’t have time to react. We can’t fix that in two weeks, but we need to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin, what would you do? I’ve seen you say we don’t have the pieces on offense and I’ve seen you say our OC isn’t helping matters. I know you’re defensive minded, so let’s say you had to face an undersized group like this...what would make it challenging for you?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Have we thrown a slant? Or anything to get the ball out of the QBs hands quickly? Are we incapable of utilizing our outside receivers more than, say, 2 or 3 plays a game?

The playbook seems more limited than it was last year, and that is saying a lot.

If they really want to split reps at QB do it with both on the field at the same time. If JG can split out in the slot etc the way TO can. I know TO can play from a RB position or the slot. They did it a tad with JG at QB vs USF.

If the coaching staff insists on play by play QB rotation do it this way please. This would allow us to go hurry up still without running our QBs in and out and would give the D a lot to think about in a hurry.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
1. Stick with a QB that just lead a TD drive. Lucas scored a TD and a 2 point conversion he got the next drive. Oliver leads a TD drive and returns the kick 50 yards and starts the next drive on the bench.
2. If you don't want to go with Oliver at QB he needs to be on the field in the flex.
3. Mason needs to be on the field as much as possible. He's way ahead of the other backs when it comes to getting down hill and making blocks.
4. Speed option. We have lots of backs with experience running it use what we have. We've used it for at least 3 touchdowns this year already. Make them adjust to stop it.
5. Stick with what is working and make them adjust to take it away. We move away from plays that are working before the defense adjusts.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Doesn't matter....This is the Coach Collins econd Loss to an FCS team as he oversaw a loss at Temple to Villanova last season and was able to get a 7 year Contract from the GT AD... HE will run things his way.... Bill Lewis was given 3 years... so will Geoff Collins....

Expect quarterback rotation to continue: Collins made it clear after the game that he is quite comfortable with his practice of rotating quarterbacks. For the third game, Collins and offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude used both throughout the game (James Graham was out with a foot injury), sometimes switching them out in the same series. “The people that can help us play really well on a college football Saturday or Friday or Thursday or whenever we play, if they’ve earned the right to contribute to this team, they’re going to play,” he said. “And we will continue to do that.”

Only way he gets fired before year 3.... All current Commits decommit, and Fans do not show up to the home games... for example if only 20K avg show for the rest of teh year to watch the three headed QB team and the loss all those...maybe he might get canned but even that he might get another year...going to be interesting to watch
Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...tech-loss-the-citadel/EyP8gOX5CiSToZOI9WdWNJ/

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin, what would you do? I’ve seen you say we don’t have the pieces on offense and I’ve seen you say our OC isn’t helping matters. I know you’re defensive minded, so let’s say you had to face an undersized group like this...what would make it challenging for you?
Since we can’t throw the long ball, I would roll out. Or short routes, not everybody going straight down the field. Screens, backs out of the backfield, jet tosses, misdirection, drag routes, or any of a multitude of plays to take advantage of our skill set. All we do is duck and run or duck and fling.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I'm not astute enough to answer my own question so I'll pose it to the class and hang up and listen (if anyone cares to address it).

When we rotated quarterbacks, did the Citadel shift defensive alignments to respond or did they line up the same way no matter what?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I'm not astute enough to answer my own question so I'll pose it to the class and hang up and listen (if anyone cares to address it).

When we rotated quarterbacks, did the Citadel shift defensive alignments to respond or did they line up the same way no matter what?
They absolutely shifted into different alignments and blitzes. They blew our O line back all day long. They dialed in pass rushes when LJ was in there

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Doesn't matter....This is the Coach Collins econd Loss to an FCS team as he oversaw a loss at Temple to Villanova last season and was able to get a 7 year Contract from the GT AD... HE will run things his way.... Bill Lewis was given 3 years... so will Geoff Collins....

Expect quarterback rotation to continue: Collins made it clear after the game that he is quite comfortable with his practice of rotating quarterbacks. For the third game, Collins and offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude used both throughout the game (James Graham was out with a foot injury), sometimes switching them out in the same series. “The people that can help us play really well on a college football Saturday or Friday or Thursday or whenever we play, if they’ve earned the right to contribute to this team, they’re going to play,” he said. “And we will continue to do that.”

Only way he gets fired before year 3.... All current Commits decommit, and Fans do not show up to the home games... for example if only 20K avg show for the rest of teh year to watch the three headed QB team and the loss all those...maybe he might get canned but even that he might get another year...going to be interesting to watch
Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...tech-loss-the-citadel/EyP8gOX5CiSToZOI9WdWNJ/

He will get at least 3 years unless he loses he team. I don’t see that happening. I want all the coaches to succeed but we look lost on offense. He will get his recruits in the fold. A lot in the upstate of SC say Tech is a sleeping giant if we could recruit. I haven’t seen a multiple qb system work since Tebow’s freshman year at Florida. Whenever I saw LJ jog into the game on 3rd down I knew we were passing makes it easier for the defense. I would rather we prove we can do something well the run a buffet of plays just because.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
This should have been figured out in the spring, but it wasn’t and now we are in a mess.

Agreed.
1) Before the season is the time to prepare and practice a strategy.
2) During the season but before the game is the time to finetune for a specific opponent and account for anomalies (e.g. injuries, suspensions, etc.).
3) During the game is pretty much just (2) on the fly at game speed.

Unless deliberate chaos is the chosen strategy, it appears from a bystander viewpoint that the time allotted for all 3 were utilized poorly...

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Infuriating that we take a 100% place kicker put him in for one play and then go back to the back up.

It shows an unwillingness to understand what you have and a mindset that indicates a refusal to use the previous coaches players.

Typical ‘this is now my way’. Attitude often seen in any leadership change .

Watch I’ll slam my fingers in the damn door if I want to because it’s my door ( totally forgetting about his fingers ).