Film Study OFF scheme vs. Temple

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
What are your thoughts on Temple’s front 7 and how they may compare to ACC competition?

CGC seemed to think they were very good/talented (he said top 10 in the country multiple times)
I think Temple would beat half or more of the teams in the ACC

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
So help me out Ballin,

If the players are picking the wrong guy to block is it the talent or the coaching ? This is really what I don't get. If we are saying the players are not good enough to block the right person are we saying they aren't football smart or are we saying the coaching is lacking ? It confuses me b/c most all college level linemen have football experience and should know who to block on pass plays -- because most players are coming out of passing offenses. Why is the incorrect block being attempted ?

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
50 yards in the air across your body? That's pretty impressive! If Graham can find a way to harness that arm talent, we may be on to something!

He had some elite throws vs Temple and then some head scratching high fastballs. You could see him a couple of times working on a few things with his release point in between plays. Almost like a pitcher or golfer trying to get on plane and find the release.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
50 yards in the air across your body? That's pretty impressive! If Graham can find a way to harness that arm talent, we may be on to something!

He had some elite throws vs Temple and then some head scratching high fastballs. You could see him a couple of times working on a few things with his release point in between plays. Almost like a pitcher or golfer trying to get on plane and find the release.
Agreed he has a cannon, just needs to work on his touch passes. He had one on a scramble that threw to a guy maybe 10 yards away with about as much power as that one he threw 50 yards. Needless to say the receiver was not able to hold onto the fastball....

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow

In fairness, a lot of those high throws came after they iced and taped his hand. May or may not have had something to do with the release point.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Here is Graham’s drive after halftime

giphy.gif

Inside zone- decently blocked. Not sure what the PSG is waiting on to block the LB. The safety is the extra defender unaccounted for defender in the run. Bad effort by Camp at the bottom

giphy.gif

Here you have basic Smash concept up top with a hitch and inside route running a corner route. Good read and strong accurate throw.

giphy.gif

Another rollout with Graham throw a dime to Camp.
Camp has been really great the contested catches

giphy.gif

QB power play. This should’ve been a bigger gain. We have 3 blockers for 3 defenders. I believe the RBs shouldve taken LB and the puller should lead inside or vice versa. Either way a missed opportunity and a missed facemask on Temple

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So help me out Ballin,

If the players are picking the wrong guy to block is it the talent or the coaching ? This is really what I don't get. If we are saying the players are not good enough to block the right person are we saying they aren't football smart or are we saying the coaching is lacking ? It confuses me b/c most all college level linemen have football experience and should know who to block on pass plays -- because most players are coming out of passing offenses. Why is the incorrect block being attempted ?

We underestimate what live experience is for an OL. Your opponent is not stationary nor always do what you anticipate. Have those reps allow to process quicker and make the right block.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you planning on doing any defensive breakdowns this season like you have before ibeeballin? I really enjoyed those from both a fan and general football perspective and wanted you to know that.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Still haven't gotten around to making videos, but thanks for the ones you've put up @Ibeeballin.

Patenoob telegraphs QB power. We run it from doubles with the WR's spaced out as far as possible every time. Granted, both Temple and Citadel were in man so we essentially broke it down to a 7-v-7 every time.

Also ... we ran mesh twice ... and both times it was the WORST mesh I've seen. OK, look, I'm not expecting Oklahoma where they slap hands on the cross or to climb when they diagnose zone, but we've run mesh with CPJ and it was much cleaner. I wonder if it's a reps thing? But then, we've run Smash before too, but at least this time it looked OK and had a good read/throw behind it.

Still, though, some good ... but still lots of bad.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Still haven't gotten around to making videos, but thanks for the ones you've put up @Ibeeballin.

Patenoob telegraphs QB power. We run it from doubles with the WR's spaced out as far as possible every time. Granted, both Temple and Citadel were in man so we essentially broke it down to a 7-v-7 every time.

Also ... we ran mesh twice ... and both times it was the WORST mesh I've seen. OK, look, I'm not expecting Oklahoma where they slap hands on the cross or to climb when they diagnose zone, but we've run mesh with CPJ and it was much cleaner. I wonder if it's a reps thing? But then, we've run Smash before too, but at least this time it looked OK and had a good read/throw behind it.

Still, though, some good ... but still lots of bad.

Yeah our spacing is pretty bad. The guys run so many reps in practice that reps can’t be the issue

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Here is Graham’s drive after halftime

giphy.gif

Inside zone- decently blocked. Not sure what the PSG is waiting on to block the LB. The safety is the extra defender unaccounted for defender in the run. Bad effort by Camp at the bottom

giphy.gif

Here you have basic Smash concept up top with a hitch and inside route running a corner route. Good read and strong accurate throw.

giphy.gif

Another rollout with Graham throw a dime to Camp.
Camp has been really great the contested catches

giphy.gif

QB power play. This should’ve been a bigger gain. We have 3 blockers for 3 defenders. I believe the RBs shouldve taken LB and the puller should lead inside or vice versa. Either way a missed opportunity and a missed facemask on Temple
I think the back screwed up on power. I think the guard is the kicker here and the back is the wrapper leading through the hole.

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
giphy.gif

Here we have the Triple. One, i think this shouldve been ran to the boundary bc of the numbers, but look at Quinney and the Center Cooper. Quinney muddles it up who the read key is and Cooper absolute whiffed on the MLB leading Oliver get crushed

Great stuff 'ballin! One comment on this play - it is REALLY hard for a center to effectively reach a MLB!!! Not making excuses, it just is. The one thing that I think is missing from this offense is blockers. Look at the defense in this play and match up hats. This play was doomed from the snap.

The 3O uses both A-backs and B-backs effectively as blockers, and very frequently pulls guards or tackles to help on play side to increase blocking numbers. They typically use one lineman to "seal" the backside and the pulling guard and B-back are available to block the play side edge. I rarely see any blocking backs in this "spread scheme", and there is almost no blocking coming from our receivers, even on those screens. So if a lineman has a downfield block responsibility, I guess my point is that there aren't enough hats on hats. Everyone criticizes the O-line, but where is the help? Is this scheme "helping" our young O-line? Surely not.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I kept thinking the same thing. That there were some tells we were inadvertently showing that tipped their D into what we were trying to do.

It was unfortunate to play them so soon after the coaching change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have been a bigger advantage for CGC.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Actually, kind of the opposite. I think we are already at the simplified phase and defenses just sitting on the QB run. Also, Lineman getting up field doesn’t necessarily equate to pass rush. Which is why I’m not a fan LJ or TO at QB. They both immediately bail on a play as soon there is an ounce of rush

We ran the option a good bit and it’s simply not working

Kind of mind boggling we can’t run option plays worth a darn.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I think his throwing hand got dinged up a bit in the game.