OC Chip Long Press Conference

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like him. I like that it sounds like he has a lot of familiarity with Brent Key. I like what he said about physicality. It sounds like he has some creative ideas about lining up the same guys in different formations without subbing. I like what he said about why he coaches TEs instead of QBs. It sounds like he’ll be tough but fair, which is just what you want from a coach.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I hate the word “physicality” but I’m encouraged that he used it 2-3 times in every single response. I hope that means we’re ready to smack some people in the mouth next year!
I also thought the logic of 12 personnel for tempo reasons is interesting... I hadn’t given that much thought before

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hate the word “physicality” but I’m encouraged that he used it 2-3 times in every single response. I hope that means we’re ready to smack some people in the mouth next year!
I also thought the logic of 12 personnel for tempo reasons is interesting... I hadn’t given that much thought before
I think it doesn’t necessarily work as well with traditional or blocking TEs, but when the TEs are good receivers, it allows some flexibility with formations and possible mismatches to exploit. Would have been really fun to see with Waller switching between lining up at TE and lining up outside.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

One of the big things opposing coaches use to say about playing us no matter who we were coached by before collins was we hit hard and were physical. I'd like to get back to that.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think it doesn’t necessarily work as well with traditional or blocking TEs, but when the TEs are good receivers, it allows some flexibility with formations and possible mismatches to exploit. Would have been really fun to see with Waller switching between lining up at TE and lining up outside.
I can certainly see that... if a guy wasn’t a threat when put out wide, that logic would fall flat.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I remember when GC was hired talking about his flexibility in using guys all over -like -"a smaller very fast man being the rush end on 3rd down situations". Since we haven't had a rush in 3 yrs I guess either we didn't have a fast guy or we never faced 3rd downs.
I'm sorry but talk is cheap --but its good he is getting a positive initial response to his thoughts.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Waller did lineup both wide and tight in CPJs offense.