OC Chip Long Press Conference

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I hate the word “physicality” but I’m encouraged that he used it 2-3 times in every single response. I hope that means we’re ready to smack some people in the mouth next year!
I also thought the logic of 12 personnel for tempo reasons is interesting... I hadn’t given that much thought before

It’s the New England Patriots approach especially during the Gronk/ Hernandez days. Having the speedster TE from Syracuse helps this ideology of creating the personnel confusion for the defense. Do you keep an Extra LB in the game or do you go sub-package and assign Safety to the TE? Have a TE who can win 1on1s btw the numbers will be vital

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Im more optimistic for next year after watching this. He does seem to know what he is doing. I felt like I was learning things and getting insights from alot of his answers. Something that has been lacking for the past few years. Im really excited to see what he can do with the tight ends, where he has a clear comfort zone.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This is why I am leaning towards 8 wins this year. The next question is CGC really all that from a defensive perspective. and if he is, can he focus enough on the defense to apply his skills.

I think we will definitely see some significant improvement on Defense and I am expecting a huge improvement on offense from Long. (Plus a better offense makes the Defense better as well)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is why I am leaning towards 8 wins this year. The next question is CGC really all that from a defensive perspective. and if he is, can he focus enough on the defense to apply his skills.

I think we will definitely see some significant improvement on Defense and I am expecting a huge improvement on offense from Long. (Plus a better offense makes the Defense better as well)
OMGosh, after last years incompetent defense and marginal offense w All American RB, u are way more optimistic than I am .
Maybe after spring training, I can begin to hope for something more than competence.

I really liked how the oc framed the qb situation. SIMS is 1 but the others are in the hunt.

Why will this be a fun spring training verses the first year? In 19 we had 3 QB and all wr who had been recruited for the option.
Now we have 3 qb that are 6'3" and have some passing credibility and they will be throwing to a wr and TE rooms that have a good idea a out
pass routes. Also we have some possible difference makers returning from injuries a d a new tight end.

This spring during drills we will see which qb is best at ACCURATELY ZIPPING THE BALL IN SHORT AND MID RANGE PASSES.

We COULD HAVE WR THAT SHOW ABILITY TO FIND OPEN SPOTS IN DEFENSE.

Then I will begin to hope.
Then game 1 we will see if soft defense is back on the field.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow

Good first interview, Several things folks have already mentioned that sounds good. Being physical, using tight ends, playing to the player's strengths all are good things. Increasing tempo can be good for the offense if you're able to move the sticks and score, but can also be really bad for the defense if you quickly go 3 and out. The teams that do it well, sometimes do it very well and get an advantage. Hopefully that is the case for us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It’s the New England Patriots approach especially during the Gronk/ Hernandez days. Having the speedster TE from Syracuse helps this ideology of creating the personnel confusion for the defense. Do you keep an Extra LB in the game or do you go sub-package and assign Safety to the TE? Have a TE who can win 1on1s btw the numbers will be vital

The modern game has made everyone on the field a weapon. If you look at the NFL game, and the good teams in college, the TE has become a weapon on par with WRs and RBs. Gone are the days where you brought in a TE just for blocking and the TE may go out for a 10 yard curl, or skinny post as a QB's safety outlet. Now you flex them out to the slot or out wide as de facto WR. If you're not using your TE as a weapon, you are giving the defense an advantage.

I've been surprised Dylan Leonard hasn't been used more in the passing game. He was an absolute mismatch for defenses in HS playing with Jordan Yates. I think he's undervalued so far, so it will be interesting to see how he does with Chip Long who values TEs.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Well either Collins is a good defensive coordinator or he had a seven-leaf clover for a the better part of a decade. I want to believe that we can win 8 games this season, and I think that it’s not that much more difficult than 6 with our schedule, but there’s a part of me whispering “This is Georgia Tech football. We can’t have nice things.”

I think if Collins is truly taking charge of the defense, we’ll see a lot of improvement. My suspicion is that Thacker has been underperforming in certain responsibilities as a DC, but Collins feels that the skills Thacker lacks are teachable. It’s just that right now we don’t have the luxury of giving him any more time to learn things the hard way. Unfortunately, I think this will end up being a parallel with what I’ve been seeing with the Seahawks the past couple seasons. We would start off the season playing historically bad defense, then at some point in the middle of the season it was like a switch flipped and the defense suddenly was playing much better. What I suspect is that Pete Carroll was taking the reins from Norton and hoping he would do better next year. And then he didn’t, so he had to do the same thing again, and now Norton got fired. I think Collins really likes mentoring Thacker and really wants him to succeed. Unfortunately, if you have to take the reins from your defensive coordinator, you probably need to also find a new one.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
His reputation for dealing with players coming out of ND wasn't the best, so it was REALLY good to hear the effort he put into reaching out to the guys on the team, flying down to visit Sims and his family, and the emphasis he's putting on spending time with the guys as they're working in the weightroom.

His comments on Sims was interesting though. Sims is "the guy" for now, but there was a subtle shift to "competition" at all spots including QB. His offense and most likely the jobs of this staff will be heavily dependent on what happens with the development of the QBs...especially Sims.

I like his emphasis on toughness and physicality. I think this in line with what Brent Key does best: coach absolute maulers. It really sounds like Long will be independent of any CGC directives to make the offense "recruiting friendly" as rumors suggest that Patenaude was directed to curtail a portion of his offense to fit a recruiting narrative.

I think some people are over analyzing his time at Tulane. Long is a very good OC. I don't think we'll get Memphis and ND offensive results next year, but I do think we'll see enough to know that this offense is a P5 level offense. A good coach is a good coach. Long is a good coach. If he flips the offense into a top 30 offense, expect him to be in the conversation for other jobs. If we have a top 30 offense, CGC will most likely have his first bowl appearance at GT.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I did I hear correctly that practices will be physical?
Not sure how we have practiced but we look like play at 7/8 th speed. We are surprised everyone is covered till 7 seconds aft ed r snap.
Been watching the pros some. Damn they play so fast after the snap. Ball is out in 2 seconds