OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'd be that some of the conversations that TStan (and by extension, the check writers) has had with Collins involves some of his salesman tactics and that Collins ought to tone it down. Stick more to turning this ship around with more of the basics.
Had the same thought after the UGA Game Week and Post Game Pressers with him.

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
Ole Miss will be significantly worse next year than this year based on losing an NFL caliber QB and a lot of starters. UCF doesn’t scare me. They aren’t the same program the were a few years ago. Malzahn didn’t really build on what Heupel had, and their QB is transferring out. Those are not unwinnable games. Probably on the same level everyone thought UNC and Miami would be this year. We should be better, and Clemson is the only ACC team who will be significantly better than us on paper, and the only ACC game I don’t really expect to have a chance to win next year. FSU made some strides this year, but they won’t be above and beyond our level.

6-6 should be the expectation and the floor. If we don’t make it then CGC should be shown the door. Georgia and Clemson are the only 2 games we shouldn’t really have a chance to win. That means 6-4 against the rest of the schedule. Thats very manageable.
The floor should be 5 wins if there are a couple close losses. Most other years that would be 6 wins, so I think Collins can buy himself a fifth year with 5 wins. Beating either UCF OR Ole Miss would be huge. Benchmark games will probably be FSU and UNC. If we're not beating those teams, Collins is going to have to really scramble to make up for it somewhere else.

Dettmann1

Georgia Tech Fan

Jmonty71

Banned
Don’t let stech see this list. Nobody knows who these guys are so they won’t be good hires no matter what
I disagree. I could care less if I heard of someone or not. I rather a good unknown coordinator, versus an overrated well known coordinator.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Losing Gibbs makes the OC position a whole lot less exciting.
In my opinion, losing Gibbs isn't the deal breaker some may think it is. He was the FBS all purpose yardage leader as of game 11, and we still won 3 games with 2 shutouts to close the year. Yes, he's an unbelievable player, but I doubt our win total would be different if he hadn't played here. Especially considering Smith and Griffin, and the guys coming in next year. Smith can definitely be a feature dual threat RB.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Losing Gibbs makes the OC position a whole lot less exciting.

I don't really agree. We certainly utilized Gibbs enough and I doubt a new OC was really going to get that much more out of him unless it was by virtue of less shared time with Mason/Smith. The OC hire is interesting, at least to me, moreso about getting more production from the TEs and WRs than from the RB spot.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Because Collins wanted Thacker to be co-dc with him or Taver wanted him to be and Collins said now so Taver left?
That’s something I’m curious about as well. Taver got the title Assistant HC but then left and went back to OSU. They paid more but still to leave a DC gig is weird. That’s all I know.

Chip Long is someone that would be a good fit too.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m thinking Chip Long or Chip Lindsey. A lot more realistic. I also think it needs to be ironed out soon. It’s gonna be a scramble for new coaches. Let me add Garrick McGee.

Jmonty71

Banned
There are a few concerns I have.

1. Will Collins hire a really good coordinator? I get the impression that Collins doesn't want to be outshined. He, to me, seems like the type threatened to have really good talent, as coaches.
2. What coordinators would want to work under Collins? Face it, coordinators learn under the leadership of a head coach. I feel the coordinators would do the teaching. See #1.
3. Will Collins take over the defense? Basically, pull a Dan Quinn. How will that effect the game management, that he struggles with now.