OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
You know, I saw that too. But I don’t know how you judge college - pros.

Joe Brady was considered a prodigy for the saints, went to LSU and Joe Burrow literally doubled his passing yards from 2800 - 5600, won a Heisman and maybe had the greatest season of all-time. Now he’s the OC at Carolina and their offense is ranked near the bottom of the league. They weren’t great last year either. I don’t keep up with the NFL, maybe there are factors (injuries, roster talent, etc).

Someone more knowledgeable of the NFL feel free to correct me. I don’t care if we pursue Godsey or not but i don’t think it’s fair to judge his potential based on Miami’s current output under him or even things that happened with the Texans.
IMO Steve Ensminger was more involved than Brady in Burrows rise.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Just to list my ideas again

OC
Zach Kittley - WKU OC
Willy Korn - CCU OC
Andrew Sowder - Kent St. OC
Frank Ponce - App St. OC

DC
Brandon Hall - Troy DC
Chad Staggs - CCU DC
Scottie Hazelton - Wyoming DC
Doug Belk - Houston DC

Out of this. I really like the Doug Belk (DC) and Willy Korn (OC) combo.

A close 2nd pick is Andrew Sowder as OC and Scottie Hazelton as DC.
Don’t let stech see this list. Nobody knows who these guys are so they won’t be good hires no matter what

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I would pay money to watch Muschamp on day 1 coaching our defense. Something tells me the post practice conversations back at the dorm would be amazing. Muschamp wouldn’t be dabbing you up for missing a tackle or taking a bad angle. I believe our players would thrive under discipline after the realization that the 3 year sleep over party was over.

you need to take a break. your comments are not amusing any more, and not particularly helpful.
Sowega is dead on the money about muschamp. He is certifiably insane. They all are. For the record, I don’t want him anywhere near Tech, because he is a mutt, and I didn’t like him even before he was a mutt. But I would buy a ticket to see him run practice with Geoff’s boys if he did come to Tech as our DC. It wouldn’t be pretty, quite the opposite.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Just to list my ideas again

OC
Zach Kittley - WKU OC
Willy Korn - CCU OC
Andrew Sowder - Kent St. OC
Frank Ponce - App St. OC

DC
Brandon Hall - Troy DC
Chad Staggs - CCU DC
Scottie Hazelton - Wyoming DC
Doug Belk - Houston DC

Out of this. I really like the Doug Belk (DC) and Willy Korn (OC) combo.

A close 2nd pick is Andrew Sowder as OC and Scottie Hazelton as DC.
Sowder is who I like. He's done it throwing and running it. Makes me think he plays to his strengths and doesn't try to fit a square peg into a round hole. Plus his first year he turned a team 128th in total offense to 83, then 61st his second, then 1st his 3rd (all be it shortened COVID year) and backed it up this year as Kent State is 8th in total offense. Go get him Geoff!!!

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How does anyone compete with that?!!

When Alabama is a dream stop over for former head coaches, including NFL coaches, to become position coaches, you have the very definition of factory.
I think the fired NFL coaches want to be a Bama because the offset language in their contracts probably doesn't apply to college jobs !

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Don’t let stech see this list. Nobody knows who these guys are so they won’t be good hires no matter what
I have no problem with them but I think CGC will pick someone he has worked with in the past. I'm just too lazy to look it up who it could be. I just hope we hire a QB coach and he picks a DC and OC and lets them run their job, (but with CGC knowing it is next year or else I could understand if things go wrong he steps in I hope not he needs to worry about recruiting and let the OC and DC run things) The big question is what is the AD looking for in wins, 5,6.7 ,

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One answer, related to Lincoln Riley, but possibly a reason why Key wanted a break from Bama

Had not thought of that. I guess for every coach who dreams of coaching in the SEC there are a handful who say, “No thanks, there are already enough headaches being a head coach without adding that level of stress.”

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw the Dookies suggest Steve Spurrier, Jr. for HC at Dook. Shocked his name has not been floated for OC here. I am not doing that btw.
I think Corey Dennis is a good guy to consider if interested. Need to get a recruiter, who wants to be a head coach and not someone who is just a play caller for both OC and DC.

I will throw out Tyson Summers for DC?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I would LOVE to have Corey Dennis back at GT...but for his sake, and his career development, I hope he doesn't return as our OC. I think Dennis has a very bright future as a coach. He's an outstanding recruiter, and he's been credited for helping develop some really good QBs at OSU. In terms of pedigree, going be to hard to find someone as well versed in the spread option (under CPJ) and spread passing (Meyer, Day) than Dennis. He just needs real experience being a coordinator. Coming home to GT to OC for CGC under the current circumstances would be tough for anyone. For a first time coordinator it could set his career back years.

OF course, there's something to be said for taking chances and having confidence in your abilities. You're not going to find much more of a "Tech Man" than Corey, who also married a Tech Lady. He may have some unique offense he's cooked up marrying CPJ's spread option running with Ryan Day's passing offense. Like I said above, he's a VERY good recruiter and developer of QB talent. Meyer wasn't the one that promoted him to QB coach, it was Day AFTER Meyer left so you can't say it was all nepotism (BTW, if you don't know how coaching works, nepotism and who you know play a HUGE part in people getting jobs).

If it is Dennis, I'm going to 100% support it. It'll be an exciting hire for us, and a potentially shrewd hire for CGC jumping on Dennis's shooting star before it takes off.
Agreed, He needs to get a job at a smaller none P5 school as a OC first. Nobody has any idea how he would do as a OC, and Tech isn’t the place to find out

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Serious question, not a jab. Will the new coordinators fit into the “culture” here?
Or will they adapt?
Would have to know what was said in the meeting with CGC and TS, but that is something we will not find out.

So if TS said you need to right the ship this year you will need to replace your coordinators then it would be someone that " fits"

but if TS said we need to get this ship up and running if you need help picking the next coordinators let me know what I can do if you need more money I'll see what I can do. Oh and all I want you to do is work with recruiting then the so called culture won't matter.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Serious question, not a jab. Will the new coordinators fit into the “culture” here?
Or will they adapt?
I'd be that some of the conversations that TStan (and by extension, the check writers) has had with Collins involves some of his salesman tactics and that Collins ought to tone it down. Stick more to turning this ship around with more of the basics.