OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we’re not willing to open the wallet for a new OC, we should hire Whisenhunt. He’s not amazing, but I think he’s competent and experienced enough to be decent at our level. I think the whole defensive staff needs a shakeup. Burton and Popovich aren’t cutting it, and neither is Thacker. We should let Marco Coleman coach the whole D-line, move Larry Knight to Linebackers coach, hire a new Secondary coach, and hire a new defensive coordinator.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If we’re not willing to open the wallet for a new OC, we should hire Whisenhunt. He’s not amazing, but I think he’s competent and experienced enough to be decent at our level. I think the whole defensive staff needs a shakeup. Burton and Popovich aren’t cutting it, and neither is Thacker. We should let Marco Coleman coach the whole D-line, move Larry Knight to Linebackers coach, hire a new Secondary coach, and hire a new defensive coordinator.
Definitely need to reorg the defensive staff.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually don't think changing defensive coordinator will fix anything. Collins pretty much ran the defense this year. Never convince me he wasn't very hands on when the wheels came off the defense.

Offense could get much better with a new OC, but I am skeptical of getting a good OC to work for Collins.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Way to chaotic and too many reps for everyone. Also, too much cross training. Needs more focus.

Still want to dig at this a bit, because I'm a big believer in practice.

"In order to be fair and equitable, we will give everyone a chance to be ATL. You get a rep. And you get a rep. And YOU get a rep! Hey, 7th year junior John Blutarsky, even though you've never dressed for a game, YOU get a rep!"

Not that it matters now, but were practices open?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I actually don't think changing defensive coordinator will fix anything. Collins pretty much ran the defense this year. Never convince me he wasn't very hands on when the wheels came off the defense.

Offense could get much better with a new OC, but I am skeptical of getting a good OC to work for Collins.
There were alignment issues today along with bad angles. Do we disguise coverages or delayed blitzes. Do we put the right personnel in coverage match ups. I don't know the answers but we sure look very vanilla when I watch the games.

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
Pay a big time DC, then find a young offensive coach who is starting to break out - allow them to make a name for themselves at GT.

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
I have seen tons of horrible personnel decisions by this staff. Why in the world did we have a 5'8 converted QB covering their TE split wide in the redzone?? Just a terrible decision there when we have all these 6'2 corners and safeties we could have put out there.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Still want to dig at this a bit, because I'm a big believer in practice.

"In order to be fair and equitable, we will give everyone a chance to be ATL. You get a rep. And you get a rep. And YOU get a rep! Hey, 7th year junior John Blutarsky, even though you've never dressed for a game, YOU get a rep!"

Not that it matters now, but were practices open?
You play like you practice. It’s pretty obvious we don’t practice blocking and tackling.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have seen tons of horrible personnel decisions by this staff. Why in the world did we have a 5'8 converted QB covering their TE split wide in the redzone?? Just a terrible decision there when we have all these 6'2 corners and safeties we could have put out there.
Tobias Oliver is 6'2". Where do you 5'8"? Get to know your team better. It was good coverage and an excellent catch. The only issue I have is Oliver should have never let him come down inbounds.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Dabo is the analogy. Look at his record before he hired Morris and Venables
He was winning 10 a year and got rid of his inherited DC who resisted, in team offices, Swinney's desire for up-tempo. (I just checked out the Clemson-SC game. Some funky formations used by Clemson, apparently to adjust to the QB.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Collins might be ok to stay the course but needs better game management because his “coaching for dummies” book isn’t cutting it.

He needs a cutting edge offensive coordinator preferably veer and shoot or some specific spread type offense that isn’t vanilla whatsoever.

Defense.. don’t know what would work but definitely something tenuta like.
I think we are making talent assumptions, and we are wrong. We don't have the playing talent, and apparently that which we do have is looking at the portal. Is there a portal for coaches?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Since both coordinators are not under multi year deals, and we may go in another direction:

Rich Rod just completed his first year as ULM OC, not great numbers this time out but im told he has the second biggest offensive transition in history, and Ole Miss averaged 445 ypg in 2019. He would be relatively cheap, and we would have to open up a transfer spot for his son as a 1 year QB, but has a bunch of experience and coaching connections. Would have no problem filling the offensive side. Side bonus is you have a built in interim if the ish goes down
1638072683317.png

Defense I have no idea, but maybe some kind of track record of success, even if at a lower level, with calling games and having a coherent teachable defense.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Pay a big time DC, then find a young offensive coach who is starting to break out - allow them to make a name for themselves at GT.
The OC at Kent State could be that guy! Check out his Bio... They were 12th in total offense this year.