OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is what the search should look like, G5 guys who are starting to have success and looking for a bigger opportunity with more resources. Allow them to bring some of their guys in as well so we have disciples to plug and play once our DC eventually takes a bigger job.

It’s truly laughable to see some of the coaching names tossed out on this site…Patrick Nix, John Tenuta, Charles Kelly, Ken Whisenhunt? Why does this fan base always want some middling, washed up coach to come back to Tech? Go for new blood.

Same rationale that led us to hiring CGC.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
As long as CGC is here it doesn't matter who you hire he is go to put his 2 cents in and screw things up like he has the last 3 years. So yes CGC is the problem so now our biggest problem is our AD who won't say I messed up. Now have to wait another year. We just have a big mess.
This. I cannot see any path where this program improves significantly with CGC at the helm. 4-6 wins would be a real challenge next year and where does that put us ? CGC has done potentially irreparable damage to the program at a time when we can least afford it. If ADTS cannot see it and take action, then it will take him down as well.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
This is true. There is little rhyme or reason to what we're doing, at least on offense. We just run plays. The good OC's find something the team is competent at, run that enough to establish a trend, then run other plays off of the same looks to throw a change-up. Alternately, they run the successful plays out of multiple formations, but with the same net effect.

We're (seemingly) throwing spaghetti against the wall and hoping some of it sticks.
…..And when something sticks, we do something different. Makes no sense.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Since both coordinators are not under multi year deals, and we may go in another direction:

Rich Rod just completed his first year as ULM OC, not great numbers this time out but im told he has the second biggest offensive transition in history, and Ole Miss averaged 445 ypg in 2019. He would be relatively cheap, and we would have to open up a transfer spot for his son as a 1 year QB, but has a bunch of experience and coaching connections. Would have no problem filling the offensive side. Side bonus is you have a built in interim if the ish goes down
View attachment 11728

Defense I have no idea, but maybe some kind of track record of success, even if at a lower level, with calling games and having a coherent teachable defense.
Rich probably comes with too much baggage for GT, but given his reputation for colorful vocabulary, it would be interesting to listen in to RRs response when CGC recommended a play change.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You mean the rationale that a “Tech Man” is needed? The whole reason we chased Collins is because of his history with Tech - without that I doubt we even look at him.

I want somebody far removed from this program to come in and coach.

Bingo. That's why a big deal was made of CGC's history at GT when he was hired.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Bingo. That's why a big deal was made of CGC's history at GT when he was hired.

I think CGC's history at GT was a big deal less because of being a Tech man and more because the strategy after Johnson retired was to try and improve recruiting and so hiring someone who had first hand knowledge of the challenges GT faces with recruiting was relevant. I think Wisenhunt being talked about was more a product of being a Tech man though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think CGC's history at GT was a big deal less because of being a Tech man and more because the strategy after Johnson retired was to try and improve recruiting and so hiring someone who had first hand knowledge of the challenges GT faces with recruiting was relevant. I think Wisenhunt being talked about was more a product of being a Tech man though.

It's all of the above with regard to GT. A lot was also made of CGC being on O'Leary's staff.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's all of the above with regard to GT. A lot was also made of CGC being on O'Leary's staff.

I don't really remember that point being brought up much at the time of his hiring. I recall it mostly being tied to the 07 class and his involvement with the program when we brought it in. In my experience a "Tech man" is almost always someone who is a graduate not just having worked at GT before.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't really remember that point being brought up much at the time of his hiring. I recall it mostly being tied to the 07 class and his involvement with the program when we brought it in. In my experience a "Tech man" is almost always someone who is a graduate not just having worked at GT before.

O'Leary isn't a GT graduate, but he's very much considered a "Tech man" by most people in the program. Same thing for Ross and CPJ. I'm not going to get into a semantics argument, but the fact that CGC coached under O'Leary at GT is the big reason he was able to get in front of the hiring committee.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
name a high quality assistant that would come to GT to work for Collins when everyone on the planet knows next year is a lame duck year for both the HC And AD

I can't think of one. This reminds me of John Bond's year under Gailey....
I honestly think he has a chance to not be a lame duck coach if he gets the right coordinators in and let them do their thing while he continues to recurit at a high level.

The right coordinators can make this whole thing work. But he also needs to recognize his own strengths. TStan needs provide CGC some coaching and CGC needs to embrace it. People can get better. Will CGC work to improve himself?

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Cgc is not and never will be a Tech Man.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Check out Buster Faulkner for OC. Current quality control assistant for UGA but has been OC for several programs. Local guy, ( Parkview and Valdosta State), still young and hungry. Very successful in smaller programs and now 2 years under Monken at UGA. Won state championship at Parkview and National championship at VSU.
Son of one of my colleagues at work played at VSU on a championship team. It had to have been at least 10 years ago.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This. I cannot see any path where this program improves significantly with CGC at the helm. 4-6 wins would be a real challenge next year and where does that put us ? CGC has done potentially irreparable damage to the program at a time when we can least afford it. If ADTS cannot see it and take action, then it will take him down as well.
Five or six wins next year shows improvement and gets him another year. Reduces the buyout and hopefully keeps some momentum in recruiting.

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan
Son of one of my colleagues at work played at VSU on a championship team. It had to have been at least 10 years ago.
When I say young, he's 39-40, I'm old so he is young to me! Good QB coach. Kirby Smart must think alot about him, I would like to think he has helped Bennett quite a bit. We need some body that has played the position and has won everywhere he has been.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The talk seems to be Mullen doesn’t like recruiting. He apparently sent his feelers out to NFL teams last year. Since Collins only strength is recruiting, maybe they could make a comfortable situation out of it for Mullen where all he has to do is coach offense, while other guys do all the recruiting. He’s a great offensive mind.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Would Mullen be an assistant for a former assistant who left his program? If Mullen takes the OC job, does he forfeit buyout money from Florida?