OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Interim HC at Tennessee, according to Wikipedia.
Tennessee doesn’t have an interim coach. He was hired before UT fired Pruitt, then named interim HC, then fired when UT hired Heupel. It doesn’t look like he’s working in football currently.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Possibly. The thought has crossed my mind. We look worse on defense after having a full offseason than we did last year. It may be a case where football practice wasn't broke, so why fix it? The good news would be this is very correctable if it is indeed a major cause of our problems.
All of our coaching problems are correctable. Three years in, we're still waiting for our coaches to correct them.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Possibly. The thought has crossed my mind. We look worse on defense after having a full offseason than we did last year. It may be a case where football practice wasn't broke, so why fix it? The good news would be this is very correctable if it is indeed a major cause of our problems.
I believe a good coach could come in and have us in a bowl game year 1.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe the way he runs practices is one of the fundamental issues.

Not a poke - but has anyone attended or seen practice? Like a full practice and not just dumb highlights of tackling your DC while twerking to what the DJ is playing.

What is it about practice that makes it a fundamental issue? Again, not an attack, just want to know if anyone has any concrete info on what goes on. Also, does anyone know if we use close to the full 20 hours a week allotted by the NCAA?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Not a poke - but has anyone attended or seen practice? Like a full practice and not just dumb highlights of tackling your DC while twerking to what the DJ is playing.

What is it about practice that makes it a fundamental issue? Again, not an attack, just want to know if anyone has any concrete info on what goes on. Also, does anyone know if we use close to the full 20 hours a week allotted by the NCAA?
Way to chaotic and too many reps for everyone. Also, too much cross training. Needs more focus.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why we think replacing DC or OC or both and leaving Colllins in place as their boss accomplishes diddly. I can't even think of an analogy for that.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why we think replacing DC or OC or both and leaving Colllins in place as their boss accomplishes diddly. I can't even think of an analogy for that.
We can’t afford to axe him right now, so it’s a bridge to next year. Bring in someone that has the potential to take over, like when we brought in O’Leary under Lewis.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Have no clue, but I don’t think we practice blocking and tackling. Should run Oklahoma every minute for a week.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's my contribution. Fire both coordinators. Make Collins Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator. Use the savings with no DC plus a hefty contribution from donors to hire a brand name OC.

Collins is said to be a good defensive coach. He is able to bring in talent. He is going to be on the payroll anyway, and we take advantage of his strong points. We have a history of being able to find more playmakers on offense than defense. If we had a really good OC, one who can cross up defenses with his in-game playcalling, we would probably end up with a team like many of PJ's. That is, one which scores a lot of points but gives up a lot. I'd take that over what we have now.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here's my contribution. Fire both coordinators. Make Collins Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator. Use the savings with no DC plus a hefty contribution from donors to hire a brand name OC.

Collins is said to be a good defensive coach. He is able to bring in talent. He is going to be on the payroll anyway, and we take advantage of his strong points. We have a history of being able to find more playmakers on offense than defense. If we had a really good OC, one who can cross up defenses with his in-game playcalling, we would probably end up with a team like many of PJ's. That is, one which scores a lot of points but gives up a lot. I'd take that over what we have now.
Seems worth a try. Give our Head Cheerleader something useful to do.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that Collins might be ok to stay the course but needs better game management because his “coaching for dummies” book isn’t cutting it.

He needs a cutting edge offensive coordinator preferably veer and shoot or some specific spread type offense that isn’t vanilla whatsoever.

Defense.. don’t know what would work but definitely something tenuta like.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
When Zach Kittley's offense played Indiana this year... they had 460 yards of offense.

When they played a really good and ranked UTSA team, they had 670 yards of offense, including 523 passing yards.

When they played an undefeated (at the time) Michigan State team... they had 560 yards of offense, including 490 passing yards.

If you aren't going to run the option, go get this guy. He's in the Leach/Kingsbury tree.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

We'd better spend a few bucks for a sideline strategy coach too. Collins is JV level bad at that.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We'd better spend a few bucks for a sideline strategy coach too. Collins is JV level bad at that.
Hire a couple assistant coaches who are also good recruiters. We have assistants that are not good coaches or recruiters, a big weakness. All the top 5 power programs have assistants that are very good recruiters .