OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I could just see Collins on the sidelines putting his hat further and further down over his eyes.

Honeslty that'd be a splash hire from his Rehetoric he is always talking about O'leary how best to hark to that than by bringign in godsey and then he can say we have an NFL cooardinator.

There are SO many schools firing OC's and even head coaches at the g5 level right now I am actually pretty sure we could find coach P a landing place that got him more money as a soft firing.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Right now our offensive success is explosive plays I have yet to see something i might consider a well called series since KSU. I mean maybe some credit at UNC for not stoppign the zone read qb run when it was working but I just don't see a lot of consistency in attacking defenses from P.

Having been out of town with family this past weekend, I was forced to watch most of the Tennessee v Kentucky game Saturday night. Kentucky held the ball for 46 out of the 60 minutes. They scored 42 pts putting up 612 yds of total offense while only giving up one turnover. Tenn had no return touchdowns (KO, punt or TO). Tenn somehow won the game 45-42.

Jabari Small had 55 yds rushing with a long of 37
Jaylen Wright had 50 yds rushing with a long of 21
Hendon Hooker (the QB of course) had 41 yds rushing with a long of 25

Velus Jones, Jr had 100 yds receiving with a long of 72
Cedric Tillman had 79 yds receiving with a long of 37
JaVonta Payton had 78 yds receiving with a long of 75
Jalin Hyatt had 1 catch for 41 yds

So their top three rushers (this includes all but 5 rushes for the team) and their top four receivers (only excludes 1 catch for 18 yds) had practically 50% (at a minimum) of their production come on a single play. If you do that math, 308 yds out of their total 461 (about 67%) came on 7 plays.

I'm not saying we should aspire to be TN (although 5-4 doesn't look so bad right about now), but saying "our offensive success is explosive plays" doesn't seem like a completely negative thing if we get more consistent.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s my choice if we ever get a new OC. Godsey probably wouldn’t leave the nfl and I’m sure we couldn’t afford him either.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Having been out of town with family this past weekend, I was forced to watch most of the Tennessee v Kentucky game Saturday night. Kentucky held the ball for 46 out of the 60 minutes. They scored 42 pts putting up 612 yds of total offense while only giving up one turnover. Tenn had no return touchdowns (KO, punt or TO). Tenn somehow won the game 45-42.

So their top three rushers (this includes all but 5 rushes for the team) and their top four receivers (only excludes 1 catch for 18 yds) had practically 50% (at a minimum) of their production come on a single play. If you do that math, 308 yds out of their total 461 (about 67%) came on 7 plays.

I'm not saying we should aspire to be TN (although 5-4 doesn't look so bad right about now), but saying "our offensive success is explosive plays" doesn't seem like a completely negative thing if we get more consistent.

ITs a you win or die by it thing. Explosive plays are typically caused by athletic mismatches not by scheme. Unless you are generating them with play action and uncovered receivers.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought our defense looked good the few games he got to take the reins after we let Groh go. CPJ really liked Kelly and respected him. Kelly is also a great recruiter.

$800K+ to be a DB coach at Bama. I bet he'd take a little more to be our DC and run his own show. If you want a good OC or DC, you're going to pay. I think GT would pay about $1 million for a good coordinator. Don't forget, Friedgen was one of highest paid coordinators at the time, and we shelled out a lot of money for Roof to come back...and it was a good amount for that time.

I'm not saying Kelly is the answer for us, just stating the amount of money we'd pay for a good coach...and Kelly isn't even a full coordinator.
You are assuming we have the money. A lot of our fans aren’t showing up to games or donating heavily to up spending.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I don't care if we dink and donk or hit the bomb, as long as we score.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I have seen others in the know suggest that Godsey definitely doesn't want a collegiate job. Honestly, I don't really see anything in his career trajectory that says home run hire either, other than he played here. If he hadn't, none of us would know who he is unless you know every journeyman assistant in the NFL.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I have seen others in the know suggest that Godsey definitely doesn't want a collegiate job. Honestly, I don't really see anything in his career trajectory that says home run hire either, other than he played here. If he hadn't, none of us would know who he is unless you know every journeyman assistant in the NFL.

He was thrown under the buss fo bill obrien mismanaging Houston after a pretty good year as a coordinator.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
UNC Fans would probably be willing to spend just about any money to off load Bateman, they intensely dislike him. Say he hasn't stopped a dual threat QB in 3 yrs. This season his defense is giving up 34.6 ppg against power conference opponents, including 4 games where they allowed over 50 (and one over 50). The 34.6 includes giving up only 7 to Duke and 10 to VT.
I will find out. I am friends with two UNC guys that are close to the program. One is a large donor and the other was a QB there and very active in their football program. Will ask next time I see them at our golf course.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree with this. CPJ was totally scheme and we always had excellent explosive plays until his last 2-3 years here.
Technically each play was to be a touchdown if everyone blocked correctly and the right read was made.

We still had plenty of big plays the last 2-3 years though. QB play just dropped off a bit after Thomas graduated just out of horrible luck there.

Jmonty71

Banned
Just to toss some names out
OC
Zach Kittley - WKU OC
Willy Korn - CCU OC
Andrew Sowder - Kent St. OC
Frank Ponce - App St. OC

DC
Brandon Hall - Troy DC
Chad Staggs - CCU DC
Scottie Hazelton - Wyoming DC
Doug Belk - Houston DC

Out of this. I really like the Doug Belk (DC) and Willy Korn (OC) combo.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree with this. CPJ was totally scheme and we always had excellent explosive plays until his last 2-3 years here.
It seems like when they changed the blocking rules specifically to hurt our offense is when the explosion plays really died back, that or DC’s schemed to make us drive the length of the field hoping that we would fumble as we moved down the field 3.3 yards at a time

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
It seems like when they changed the blocking rules specifically to hurt our offense is when the explosion plays really died back, that or DC’s schemed to make us drive the length of the field hoping that we would fumble as we moved down the field 3.3 yards at a time
Not saying you're right or wrong, but looking at Army as reference, since 2018 they've increase number of big plays (40+ yards) per game. They were in the 80's ranking out of fbs teams and the past two years they are in the high 40's.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just to toss some names out
OC
Zach Kittley - WKU OC
Willy Korn - CCU OC
Andrew Sowder - Kent St. OC
Frank Ponce - App St. OC

DC
Brandon Hall - Troy DC
Chad Staggs - CCU DC
Scottie Hazelton - Wyoming DC
Doug Belk - Houston DC

Out of this. I really like the Doug Belk (DC) and Willy Korn (OC) combo.
Would be nice , Hell right now I would take Elmer Fudd and Froghorn leghorn over the two we have now.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Not saying you're right or wrong, but looking at Army as reference, since 2018 they've increase number of big plays (40+ yards) per game. They were in the 80's ranking out of fbs teams and the past two years they are in the high 40's.
I don’t ever watch them but isn’t their scheme a little more modern than CPJ’s version?