OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Are there any positive examples of an AD essentially firing the head coach's chosen assistants? I only know when the AD at Nebraska forced Solich to fire his coordinators, it did not work well. Now the Nebraska AD has forced the firing of 4 of Frost's assistants. Being a Nebraska professor for 20 years and a 3x GT grad has created insight. Frost is also 3-9 for years. At NE we know that we won't do better than Frost. Frost just needs to learn how to be a Big10 coach. But he doesn't act like a doofus.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think Tashard Choice should get a shot at OC.

His area has been the strength of the team, and he is an old school coach who i don't think cares for losing.

I wonder if Marco Coleman is ready for DC? Our DE's have looked like the best part of our defense to me. Our LB's, not so much.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Tashard Choice should get a shot at OC.

His area has been the strength of the team, and he is an old school coach who i don't think cares for losing.

I wonder if Marco Coleman is ready for DC? Our DE's have looked like the best part of our defense to me. Our LB's, not so much.
I'm not sure Choice is seasoned enough to step up to the OC job. However, if the program is looking in that direction we should go ahead and fire Coach P and let Choice have an audition.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ couldn't offer it. The money guys wanted roof. Instead CPJ called jimbo and kelly got an offere from FSU.
Trying to wrap my head around that. DRad left in November. Roof was hired in January. Sasquatch didn't arrive on campus until April(was announced about a week after Roof's hire). So was Peterson pressuring PJ to hire Roof?

edit - web search tells me that senior associate AD Paul Griffin was appointed interim.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Trying to wrap my head around that. DRad left in November. Roof was hired in January. Sasquatch didn't arrive on campus until April(was announced about a week after Roof's hire). So was Peterson pressuring PJ to hire Roof?

edit - web search tells me that senior associate AD Paul Griffin was appointed interim.

Exactly so basically what you have happening here, is Paul Griffen basically just acting as the donors hand.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure Choice is seasoned enough to step up to the OC job. However, if the program is looking in that direction we should go ahead and fire Coach P and let Choice have an audition.
Yeah agree, would prefer someone with experience and mucho success calling plays at some level of FB. I actually think Choice would make an interesting interim head coach if it comes to that in a couple of years. He has that IT factor in my mind to be a really good CEO type of HC

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta would be my choice, but I doubt he'd come here as he's an analyst with VPI and his son plays there.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I remember Tenuta as DC at UVA last i think? Or maybe Co-DC at NCST? How did he do? I seem to recall him having some decent defense at UVA?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
First as bad as I hate to say it the OC and DC ain't going anywhere as long as CGC is here. and if you really want to look at a replacement forget looking at places like the SEC or ACC and start looking at the smaller colleges coaches 95% us would go who the hell is he.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
First as bad as I hate to say it the OC and DC ain't going anywhere as long as CGC is here. and if you really want to look at a replacement forget looking at places like the SEC or ACC and start looking at the smaller colleges coaches 95% us would go who the hell is he.
That's where all the ACC and SEC coaches came from - the smaller colleges. I don't care if I know his name or not. All I want is a coach.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You guys do understand that if CDP is let go the next OC will be Key or Key will be gone too. Right? I know there are those on here that would be happy with that, but I'm not one of them. I also don't think Pattenaude will be forced out. I do think that Thacker's days are getting short bar a sudden turn-around by this defense.

Corey Dennis is not going to get the OC position over what we already have here. Not going to happen. Nix? That's a huge joke. God save us from that debacle.

Defense: Tenuta's at VT now, I think. He's 64 years old, so do you really see him buying into what Collins is selling? Could be, but I don't think he'd go down that road again. Other names? No one knows, but any DC that came in wouldn't be hiring and firing his own assistants, so who would be implementing his defensive scheme? Tenuta's brand of football was exciting. Boom or Bust, never in between. You want to attract recruits, Tenuta's defense would do that. Full-on attack mode. DB's left on an island. Dink and dunk killed us.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You guys do understand that if CDP is let go the next OC will be Key or Key will be gone too. Right? I know there are those on here that would be happy with that, but I'm not one of them. I also don't think Pattenaude will be forced out. I do think that Thacker's days are getting short bar a sudden turn-around by this defense.

Corey Dennis is not going to get the OC position over what we already have here. Not going to happen. Nix? That's a huge joke. God save us from that debacle.

Defense: Tenuta's at VT now, I think. He's 64 years old, so do you really see him buying into what Collins is selling? Could be, but I don't think he'd go down that road again. Other names? No one knows, but any DC that came in wouldn't be hiring and firing his own assistants, so who would be implementing his defensive scheme? Tenuta's brand of football was exciting. Boom or Bust, never in between. You want to attract recruits, Tenuta's defense would do that. Full-on attack mode. DB's left on an island. Dink and dunk killed us.
You could be right on Key but I don't think he wants OC he would take Head Coach here or anywhere.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
TC is not ready to be a HC and I am one of his biggest supporters. Would need to prove he could be a OC first. I would prefer we get a former QB that has a few years coaching - preferably as a OC or at least a QB coach. The game has become all about offense with today's rules and the way it is officiated.