Now That

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In the CPJ era:
1. Justin Thomas
2. Josh Nesbitt
3. Tevin Washington
4. Vad Lee

JT - 3 seasons as starter: 11-3 (Orange Bowl win), 3-9, 9-4 (Taxslayer Bowl win)
2 out of 3 vs. Georgia
Passing: 4788 yds, 40 TDs, 18 INT, 48.8% pct
Rushing: 2409 yds, 4.8 ypc, 22 TDs
Comments: JT was far and away the best passer we have had under CPJ. His arm strength was above average and his accuracy was underrated. We will miss his ability to hit receivers on comeback routes and back-shoulder throws. His completion percentage is badly skewed by the abysmal 2015 season in which our offensive line was historically incapable. He was our fastest QB as well. Though he lacked the power that JfN displayed, he had game changing speed and was very effective as a runner. JT may not have always made the right reads, but his pitching ability, which is very important in our offense, was also the best out of the QBs that CPJ has fielded.

JfN - 2.5 seasons as starter: 9-4, 11-3 (Lost Orange Bowl), 5-4
1-1 vs Georgia as starter - the 2009 loss was unacceptable and is a black mark on an otherwise incredible season
Passing: 3276 yds, 20TD, 16 INT, 42.7% pct
Rushing: 2806 yds, 4.2 ypc, 35 TDs
Josh was a warrior. His strength and ability to get key yardage on 3rd and 4th down was unbelievable. He also had a very strong arm, but lacked the tough and accuracy that JT displayed. One thing, however, that hurt Josh was our ABs inability to catch the ball during his tenure. Embry, Roddy, Orwin, and the other ABs were not near the pass-catchers that Searcy, Lynch, and the 2014 AB crew were/are. With that being said, JT did not have the luxury of having Demaryius Thomas, who Josh hit on many deep throws and jump-balls. Demaryius was a freak talent, and while Smelter and Waller were great receivers, JT did not have a guy like that.

Tevin: Let's be honest, Tevin's arm was weak. I never felt confident when we needed 13-15 yards on 3rd down. He was a capable runner with below average speed who made his living off of making good reads and managing the game. I loved Tevin's work ethic and he is a great man who I am thrilled to see back on the Tech sidelines. He was a solid QB, but lacked the athleticism that JT and JfN had that made them so effective.

Vad: Meh. Vad never bloomed, it's no secret. He had so much hype, but never really fit in the offense. He had some great moments, and flashed his passing ability on several occasions. I was never crazy about the way he ran the offense. It just wasn't a great fit, plain and simple. Still thankful for his time.
I wished Lee all the best going forward. But why is he on this list? Because he was here at the same time as Johnson? One thing to have a list of declining values but to suggest he was anything other than a misfiring misfit who had a couple of good games does the others an injustice, i think. He found his niche in a shotgun zone option scheme with two decisions and 3-4 seconds to make them. And did really well with it at a lower level. Good for him, really, because that is what somebody should do when he knows it is not working someplace else.

For what it is worth and with all his shortrcomings -- you got them right, I think -- Washington was the absolute best running the option. I never thought Nesbitt was a great fit other than the midline where his toughness really fit, and his arm while strong was wildly erratic and one wondered sometimes if there was a receiver he could actually hit.. To me it is Thomas, though not a great option reader, then Waahington and then Nesbitt. Lee is just one of the QBs who played at Tech.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I wished Lee all the best going forward. But why is he on this list? Because he was here at the same time as Johnson? One thing to have a list of declining values but to suggest he was anything other than a misfiring misfit who had a couple of good games does the others an injustice, i think. He found his niche in a shotgun zone option scheme with two decisions and 3-4 seconds to make them. And did really well with it at a lower level. Good for him, really, because that is what somebody should do when he knows it is not working someplace else.

For what it is worth and with all his shortrcomings -- you got them right, I think -- Washington was the absolute best running the option. I never thought Nesbitt was a great fit other than the midline where his toughness really fit, and his arm while strong was wildly erratic and one wondered sometimes if there was a receiver he could actually hit.. To me it is Thomas, though not a great option reader, then Waahington and then Nesbitt. Lee is just one of the QBs who played at Tech.

He's there because the poster qualified "in the CPJ era"