Now That

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
his career is over and his resume complete, where does Justin Thomas stand in the history of GT QBs? Before even beginning to discuss this, I would like to first thank Justin for choosing GT, working his butt off, carrying the team at times, always supporting his teammates, always downplaying his own success, having courage under fire, representing our community with humble grace and dignity, and producing a highlight reel that was really fun to watch. Best of luck Justin. You are now one of us, specifically, a GT fan for life.

I am going to have to think about this for a while, but my initial feeling is that he belongs in the discussion with the great ones of my lifetime (I became a GT fan in 1979 and enrolled in 1980). Had he not suffered the effects of the injury riddled 2015 season, we could be talking about him as the best of all time.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
He had so many memorable big plays over his career and the 2014 season was special so he will always be held in high esteem. To be team Captain 3 consecutive years is also in a class by itself and speaks volumes about his leadership and character.

Additionally he was physically unique which will make him stand out. On paper he is far too short to be a "modern" qb. He was also too small to take the pounding from running our offense (remember all the members of this board who predicted he couldn't last a season?). Despite those concerns his exceptional quickness and competitive nature led to a couple exceptional seasons and incredible wins in Athens. He will be remembered as a special players as long as there is GT football.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
his career is over and his resume complete, where does Justin Thomas stand in the history of GT QBs? Before even beginning to discuss this, I would like to first thank Justin for choosing GT, working his butt off, carrying the team at times, always supporting his teammates, always downplaying his own success, having courage under fire, representing our community with humble grace and dignity, and producing a highlight reel that was really fun to watch. Best of luck Justin. You are now one of us, specifically, a GT fan for life.

I am going to have to think about this for a while, but my initial feeling is that he belongs in the discussion with the great ones of my lifetime (I became a GT fan in 1979 and enrolled in 1980). Had he not suffered the effects of the injury riddled 2015 season, we could be talking about him as the best of all time.
For some of us older guys, Billy Lothridge (second in Heisman voting to Roger Staubach) and Darrell Crawford (QB of Dodd's first undefeated team) probably deserve to be in the discussion.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
QBs ranked since 1988 season when I was a freshman.
1. Shawn Jones....He won us a National Championship. ACC champ
2. Joe Hamilton....2nd in Heisman voting. ACC champ
3. Joshua Nesbitt....ACC champ
4. Justin Thomas
5. George Godsey
6. Reggie Ball
7. Tevin Washington
8. Donnie Davis
9. Vad Lee/Tommy Luginbill/Taylor Bennett/Todd Rampley/AJ Suggs

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was reminiscing on JeT's career and realized something: His career is eerily similar to Josh Nesbitt's. The order of their careers is a bit different, but their overall careers looks the same with a little variation .

Nesbitt
2008: Helped CPJ establish his offense. Beat UGA. Took us to a New Year's Eve bowl. Finished 9-4
2009: Won ACC. Orange Bowl appearance. Finished 10-3.
2010: Injured for 2nd half of season. Team finished 6-7.

JeT
2014: QB that helped CJP re-introduce "Flex option" football after going away from it a bit in 2013. Beat UGA. Went to ACC Championship Game. Won Orange Bowl. Team finished 11-3.
2015: Had to deal with a surreal amount of injuries to players on offense and youth. Worst season since early 1990's. Team finished 3-9.
2016: Beat UGA. Took us to NY Eve Bowl. Team finished 9-4.

One thing Nesbitt was able to do over JeT is win an ACCCG. (Of course, it's more than just Nesbitt and JeT when it comes to that). JeT was able to win a major bowl game (OB in 2014) and went 2-1 against UGA.

As you can see, both had outstanding careers for GT. No doubt JeT (and Nesbitt) will go down as one of the greats to play the position for us.