Now I remember who Mills reminds me of …

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yesterday, in a strange chain of circumstances started on this site, I ended up looking at the 1990 Tech - Ugag game. And there Mills was.

True, he was wearing #36 and his name was William Bell, but that was him alright. The same ability to run through tackles, the same ability to spot a crease, the same roughneck running style, the same lack of anything resembling cuteness in any way. Bell had one run over 20 in that game (22); most of his runs were up the gut for 4 - 10 yards. And by the end of the game he had 124 yards or there abouts.

I expect to see a lot of games like the 1990 game out of Mills this year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting comparison. Of all the TECH backs in my history as a fan, Bell is probably as close a comparison as you would find. By the time he leaves here, I think we will see DM in a different light than Bell, but as far as what we saw in his frosh campaign, I agree.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Yesterday, in a strange chain of circumstances started on this site, I ended up looking at the 1990 Tech - Ugag game. And there Mills was.

True, he was wearing #36 and his name was William Bell, but that was him alright. The same ability to run through tackles, the same ability to spot a crease, the same roughneck running style, the same lack of anything resembling cuteness in any way. Bell had one run over 20 in that game (22); most of his runs were up the gut for 4 - 10 yards. And by the end of the game he had 124 yards or there abouts.

I expect to see a lot of games like the 1990 game out of Mills this year.

In the Johnson era, Mills is unique. There isn't anyone that compares to him. Dwyer, AA, Marshall, Sims, Days, and Laskey were all very different. Sure they were all "power" backs but their styles were, in my mind, pretty different from what we have seen with Mills. Dwyer and Marshall were faster. AA ran very hard at the point of attack much like Mills but was taller with a longer stride. Mills runs low, balanced, and really pushes the pile much like William Bell back in the day. Bell was also an effective pass blocker. I will defer to others more knowledgeable about Mills blocking. Mills MIGHT be the most physical running back of the Johnson era. His only drawback and its a minor one, is he does not have the burst and second gear that made Dwyer so effective. All of our Bbacks have been effective to one degree or another They are good football players no doubt about it.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
joe burns for me. Gotta watch how they run closely....I don't know enough about Bell....but when I first saw mills in person I said woh its like a burns clone in running body position, lean, even arm pump

Someone once called Joe Frank Burns a "smaller power back. So he was, and a fine player for us with balance, body lean, and a no nonsense attitude.

The only thing Bell had that was different was he had a bit more speed. I expect that Mills will be a little quicker this year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Dedrick reminds me of Frank Gore. Just s bruiser and yes I know he played for Miami.

I think with him averaging around 20 and then the other two primarily Kevonte getting another 10 should make for a great bback punch.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Burns. Burns was one of those backs that gets stronger as the game goes on. Saw a little of that from Mills early in the season, and a lot late in the season. Especially against Kentucky.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Mills is more of a load than anyone mentioned thus far. I can't think of any good comparisons to be honest.

There really isn't anyone in the Johnson era to compare him to. He is violent, hits the hole very hard, runs low to the ground with really fine body lean. He is probably more the prototype of what Coach Johnson wants in a Bback than anyone we have had. To be truthful, I would rather have him than Chubb, Sony Michel, or even Dwyer. For what we do, he is that good.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm telling ya, he reminds me of AP.

Rather than 40 time, CPJ looks for 10 yard burst. DM has this. He also has the always-moving-forward-while-cutting ability and forward lean while picking up YAC.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Wilder was an all American fullback...and would have been good in a CPJ offense imo. He could hit hard and had good speed and athleticism for his size. Not as quick or hard to bring down as Mills though imo. Wilder remains a fave of mine. Great athlete and team player.

Ed was a great player for us. He could block, run, and catch passes. Unfortunately, he was never the same after that knee injury his senior year in high school and that limited him to about 15 or so snaps a game during the Hamilton era. Charlie Rogers, Phillip Rogers, Charles Wiley, Joe Burns, Dez White, Harvey Middleton, among others. Man, Joe Ham and Ralph had some talent to work with in those days. All of them were good football players that went about their business. It should be noted that Ralph's offense was a complex system that incorporated elements of option football, shotgun, power I, misdirection, with a bewildering number of formations to learn. What these guys had to deal with must have been difficult to execute consistently but they did it.