Now I remember who Mills reminds me of …

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Since we have an active DM post......

Dedrick Mills had lowest rate of rushes for no gain, loss in Power 5

http://www.ajc.com/sports/dedrick-m...s-for-gain-loss-power/V5o23KuoTUM8bINZ9lpkPM/

Understandable. Those B backs are pretty close to the line and they hit the hole really quick. Laskey was especially good at this. From a fan's vantage point it is hard to appreciate just how quickly that Bback is into the line but for a defensive lineman having to fight off a cut block that Bback is by you in a flash. Not saying it is impossible to stone wall a Bback dive but it is much harder than say a zone read from the shot gun.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Little before my time lol. No, I don;t know his name . Point being, he did not have to be that good to truck me
When you said back in the day, I didn't know how far back that was. George Maloof went to Marist "back in the day" , played at GT, and holds a GT record against the dwags, I think. Story goes is that he holds the record of the most TD's against the dawgs by an RB in a single game.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
When you said back in the day, I didn't know how far back that was. George Maloof went to Marist "back in the day" , played at GT, and holds a GT record against the dwags, I think. Story goes is that he holds the record of the most TD's against the dawgs by an RB in a single game.
We should probably keep a Marist BB on the roster as long as we are running the TO.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Since we have an active DM post......

Dedrick Mills had lowest rate of rushes for no gain, loss in Power 5

http://www.ajc.com/sports/dedrick-m...s-for-gain-loss-power/V5o23KuoTUM8bINZ9lpkPM/

Have to wonder who edited the article?
"David M. Hale of ESPN reported on Monday afternoon that Mills finished his first season as a Yellow Jacket with a 5.9 percent rate of rushes gaining more than zero yards. The runner-up was Texas Tech running back Da’Leon Ward with 7.8 percent."

ONLY 5.9% rate of GAINING more than zero yards. That would suck. I'm sure that he meant gained positive yardage 94.1% of his carries.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Have to wonder who edited the article?
o_O It's an ajc article, right? It was likely written--and edited--by an otherwise-unemployable (u)GA journalism graduate. There's your answer...

(I'm presuming here that the ajc writer misquoted Hale; that seems somewhat likelier than Hale himself mis-stating the statistic.)

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
We should probably keep a Marist BB on the roster as long as we are running the TO.
As a Chamblee guy, it's hard to think anything good about Marist... They were our "UGA"... Majorly disliked, hardly ever beat them, but on the rare occasion we did, it was huge. We lived across the creek from Marist, and it was irritating hearing their fight song (the Notre Dame song) every time they scored a touchdown during home games! But they were a really good team for many decades. BTW... Didn't Roddy Jones come from Chamblee?

Can't think of too many guys at Tech who are like Mills. Jerry Mays was a really good back for his size, probably used that small size to help get through holes and beyond the reach of taller defensive players... very quick. He seemed to hit the hole hard and was very tough. But other than him or Bell, I think Eddie Lee really comes the closest. He was a punishing RB, really physical, and had a good burst of speed after eluding the first wave of tacklers. Wasn't quite as quick after hurting his knee against Georgia. Might have had a more productive career in the NFL had he not gotten hurt.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Eddie Lee Ivery highlights at:
2:45
7:40
8:55
10:20
and multiple runs at 14:55

Don't remember this season well, but was at the Tulane game, watching the game from the west stands over by the steam whistle. In the film Tech can be seen platooning RBs, with the elder David Sims as the main RB. Good footage of Drew Hill, too....

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
The only comparison I see to Ivery's running style is that they both wear GT uniforms

Eddie Lee cut more across the grain than Mills. But as he got older, he became more physical and leveled his pads into tacklers a lot more. Was a really bruising runner by the time he became a senior (1978). He was very good in short yardage situations and could run tacklers over at the line of scrimmage. There's unfortunately little film of him out on the internet, other than the 1978 game against UGA -- which was a very bad memory for some of us. Not many guys at Tech with exactly Mills's style, but Ivery reminded me the most of that type of power back from the '70s.