Notre Dame Postgame

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Played with a lot of heart. Like these kids. At this time of the year, they're usually not rolling yet.

Yup. WR and AB are not what they were last year and Skov while good missed some pre-snap reads.

I thought we got beat by a better team that was more physical in the trenches. Kelly did a great job max protecting and rolling out the new QB then relying on skilled receivers to get open.

We also played poorly, not holding onto the ball, missing FGs and shanking punts.Thought the holding call on Joe was bogus and really hurt at that point.

GTFan62

Jolly Good Fellow
It seemed like Justin was trying to make all the plays, especially in the 2nd half. No hand offs to Skov.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We still have a chance to be a good team. We just need to work hard each week and improve.

Not sure ND is top 10 but definitely looked like a top 20 team. Still think we are better than we were last year at this juncture. Gotta learn and move forward...get better each day.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
lost too much on offense from last year to go into a place like that and win. It's not the end of the world, but this is further proof that JT didn't do it on his own last year like some like to think. We were pretty brutal everywhere on offense today. No one really did much of anything. I wish JT would cover the ball a little better when someone makes contact with him. It almost cost us the UGAG game last year had it not been for others stepping up to help win the game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Areas to improve in all phases of the game.

QUICK OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE NOTRE DAME GAME

LINE PLAY Notre Dame’s opening series set the tone early in this game, even though Tech was able to get Notre Dame off the field fairly quickly. P.J. Davis was almost tackled on the first play which kept Notre Dame from a huge loss. That was one of two holding calls not called in the very first series.

Notre Dame was kept from scoring in their subsequent series but there was a blatant holding on a 14 yard run. In Notre Dame’s 3rd series there was holding on a 2nd and 14 play.

Well into the first half it became clear that “NFL caliber” offensive linemen do two things really well. They hold their positions and do not allow penetration, even though they do not get a great deal of push. They are physical enough that they can get away with holding against less physical players. P.J. Davis especially had to be tired after this game since he was held repeatedly while trying to fight through blocks.

On JT’s long touchdown run that was called back due to Tech holding it was clear to me that this hold was no more egregious than many of Notre Dame’s holds which were not called. This is not to play the refs, this is not to make excuses, it is simply an observation. The Notre Dame line was one of the best I have ever seen and that allowed them to get away with things. To me it points up the fact that holding is just part of the game now if you are an elite level lineman. Holding without getting caught, that is.

TECH’S SKILL POSITIONS Justin Thomas proved that he still has a lot to learn. This was not going to be a game in which Notre Dame gave up a lot of big plays. He needed to play within the offense and take what they were giving. I wonder if playing Alcorn State and Tulane gave him a false sense of his ability. On one play in particular, which I think was emblematic, Justin saw the pitch man covered and three other players bearing down on him. He faked the pitch and then tried to juke the first tackler. What he needed to do was plant his foot, shift to high gear and grab the 3 yards Notre Dame was giving him. Instead he tried to make a bigger play than was available to him.

TECH’S TEAM VIBE It was frustrating to watch Tech for several reasons. As mentioned above players often tried to do too much on offense rather than taking the positive yards and waiting to “get ‘em next time.” Had Tech played within itself they still might not have won but it would have been a lower scoring game for Notre Dame because Tech would have held the ball longer.

Not sure if this was a strategy or just poor field leadership but Tech had a malingering attitude about getting ready for the next play on offense. Way too many times JT was just getting under center with as little as 8 seconds left on the play clock. This occurred over and over again leading to having to call time out on several occasions. Not sure why we did not see the Tech from the recent past which hustled to the line and giving the offense 28 seconds or more to go through their reads.

NOTRE DAME’S NEW RECORD SETTING 91 YARD TOUCHDOWN For what it is worth Jabari was held not once but twice on that play. It is unclear to me if he could have slowed the runner down if he could have gotten to the gap but a penalty would at least have erased the TD.

TECH BEAT THEMSELVES FOR MOST OF THE GAME Notre Dame fans will no doubt feel they put a whipping on us. I do not see it that way. Perhaps Notre Dame would have won the game regardless but we were at team out of sync for most of the game. We clearly are not clicking yet as a team, seemed unusually tight at times and played the kind of game we played against Duke last year. Missed field goals, bad punts and fumbling the ball were just some of the symptoms.

When the game was out of reach Tech staged a comeback not dissimilar to the way we did against Duke last year. Perhaps Notre Dame let off the gas but Tech players suddenly looked like they had nothing to lose and played loose. Even the side line looked relaxed and players began to smile.

This game was an important lesson for the team. Wish it had turned out differently but this is why you line up and play the game.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This game was a combination of a lot of things. ND played well. Give them credit. We came out tight and executed very poorly. It was us who felt the pressure to keep up and force things, not them. We shanked punts. We ran into each other. We tripped over the turf monster. We made bad decisions. We missed FGs. We pitched the ball wildly and out of time and we put the ball on the ground. I think some calls went against us too. Joe's hold and the no call on the push offs (reminds me of climpsum 2013) hurt us. The sum total of all that stuff gets you beat. They were ready. We weren't.

What happened to us today is somewhat predictable when you consider the space we were used to working with on offense lately and the lack of high pressure reps. When you get used to space and suddenly it isn't there you can panic a little.

We had trouble getting a couple of their guys blocked and they have some team speed on defense. We got no separation in our routes and they were rarely fooled by play action. Say what you want about their DC, but he had them ready. It reminded me a little of VT in that they really timed us well in our snap counts etc.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I'd like Skov more if he went the right way, blocked and held onto the ball more.
Going the wrong way once and fumbling once... (both happened against the #8 team in the country) and your already down on him. Wow. The BBack is not even a an important blocker except on pass plays in which he did great today. If you have any questions about Skov's ability there's a reason Marshall carried the ball once today.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
We still have a chance to be a good team. We just need to work hard each week and improve.

Not sure ND is top 10 but definitely looked like a top 20 team. Still think we are better than we were last year at this juncture. Gotta learn and move forward...get better each day.
I do believe ND is at least top 10 and maybe top 5. Lots of great athletes!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
This game was a combination of a lot of things. ND played well. Give them credit. We came out tight and executed very poorly. It was us who felt the pressure to keep up and force things, not them. We shanked punts. We ran into each other. We tripped over the turf monster. We made bad decisions. We missed FGs. We pitched the ball wildly and out of time and we put the ball on the ground. I think some calls went against us too. Joe's hold and the no call on the push offs (reminds me of climpsum 2013) hurt us. The sum total of all that stuff gets you beat. They were ready. We weren't.

What happened to us today is somewhat predictable when you consider the space we were used to working with on offense lately and the lack of high pressure reps. When you get used to space and suddenly it isn't there you can panic a little.

We had trouble getting a couple of their guys blocked and they have some team speed on defense. We got no separation in our routes and they were rarely fooled by play action. Say what you want about their DC, but he had them ready. It reminded me a little of VT in that they really timed us well in our snap counts etc.
Yes BVG did a great job of coaching great athletes!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Our offense looked atrocious. But it's not mystery...I stood in the parking lot 5 hours before the game and told a ND fan what they needed to do to beat us, and they did exactly what I said. They pressed both receivers and put all linebackers tight on the line cheating in the motion with one safety 7 yards deep.

The only way for us to beat that defense is to throw the ball a few times and make them pay. We couldn't do it. Granted, the wind was horrible, but I'm a bit disappointed in our passing strategy.

Why does every pass have to be a 7 step drop? Is Justin too short to throw a 5 yard slant or a 3 yard drag? There is zero safety help when a defense lines up like they did. A short completion can easily go for a long TD when there's no deep help. It only becomes an issue every 12-15 games or so, but when it does it frustrates me so damn much to watch...