Notre Dame Postgame

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the younger players got caught up in the atmosphere. Just never got anything really going all day. The defense is pretty good I thought.
It seemed like everytime we had a semblance of momentum the refs would either call a penalty or go to the booth for a review for 10 minutes. The entire game was played in short little spurts between all of the BS. This team is really missing Smelter... Not seeing anybody to save JTs butt when he scrambles.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Losing Shaq and Smelter are really the biggest difference in this team and last. I think this team is more athletic and the defense is a lot better. Last year Smelter could get seperation against really good corners and would come back to help bail JT out when protection broke down. Shaq made his block almost every time and was pivotal in our success on third down. We have to find more go to guys, maybe we can in these next 2 games where I feel like we are the more athletic team.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Some people just need to calm down, yes we have a lot of work to do, but we are young. This is a game called football where crazy things happen every year, sometime you bring your A game and sometimes you look lost, and on offense we looked lost, it looked like the guys had never ran the offense before, but credit to the ND deffense. I see people say our o line looked scared? I higly doubt that considering some of the other d lines we played, if anything they looked unprepared. On the other hand our D looked very much improved from last year. I'm not so sure if we played ND again this year that they would have such a great game on D against our offense either, but like I said this is just part of football so let's all take a deep breath and get ready to win the next 10 games!

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
Tough to say this, because the defense played so well most of the game...but the 90-something yard touchdown run seemed like a lay-down play by our D.

In hindsight, we actually could have had a chance att he win if that doesn't happen...

Proabably not, but still.. That play seemed like the one from the MTSU game...

No, I don't think the D laid down on that play. Go back and count the number of players in pursuit at the end. You don't have half the D running that hard the length of the field if they lay down.
Effort was not the issue. Execution was.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I was a little concerned about the hype going into this game. Our Defense played hard and gave us plenty of opportunity to win. My main concern going into season was replacing our A backs, B backs and WRs from last year and it definitely showed against better competition. The A backs looked scared and did not hit the corners quickly. The WRs seemed like they lacked presence. JT was up against quicker and more disciplined players which take away the "it factor" he has. Hypothetically, this would have been a better game for a bigger QB like Byerly to run the offense some who played within the system(I realize Byerly is hurt that's why I said hypothetically lol) Obviously the O line looked overmatched but you really have to give it to the ND defense and the scheme they played. We have a lot of talent on the O line and this should get worked out. Also, missing 2 FGs early on messes with the psyche of a team in a big game, especially an O who needs to see some success from their drives...this has to be worked out. I feel the team will rebound and learned a lot from this game. The D was a positive and the O will improve, but we have to remember that we have a lot of young and unproven guys at our skill positions on Offense.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
From Northeast Stinger: "Not sure if this was a strategy or just poor field leadership but Tech had a malingering attitude about getting ready for the next play on offense. Way too many times JT was just getting under center with as little as 8 seconds left on the play clock. This occurred over and over again leading to having to call time out on several occasions. Not sure why we did not see the Tech from the recent past which hustled to the line and giving the offense 28 seconds or more to go through their reads."

Agree completely. This seemed to set the stage for the O disasters that followed. CPJ needed to get the play in sooner and JT needed to get us to the line sooner, especially since he was constantly making lots and longer pre-snap reads. We just looked confused/bewildered. Losing teams seem to do this! This is something learned that can be corrected.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The guys wanted the big play so bad that they missed the 3.5 yard gain. Plant the foot and commit. Cannot say that enough, plant the foot and commit.
Exactly. Notre Dame was not going to give up a lot of big plays. We needed to just take those two or three yards when that they were giving and waiting for the right moment. JT especially seemed to be trying to force things that weren't there.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
No, I don't think the D laid down on that play. Go back and count the number of players in pursuit at the end. You don't have half the D running that hard the length of the field if they lay down.
Effort was not the issue. Execution was.

I agree it was not effort, especially Milton who was closing fast. The D scheme seemed to be like the Elon 90 yard run. We had them backed up and we stacked in tight (horizontally) and had no pre-snap vertical depth (no deep safeties). I haven't seen any film, just going by recollection. Roof seemed to be trying to pin them back and get a big stop behind the line and like the Elon run it burned us. I know I saw Smith up near the LOS lost in traffic. I did not see Golden in close pursuit. IMO in a run situation we should have at least one safety somewhat back and near the middle. Alcorn got caught the same way against M Marshall up the middle TD.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Anybody notice Isaiah Johnson on the sideline? I think that was him I saw after Skov's first TD. If it was it's great to see our guys continue to come back and support their alma mater.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
My two inputs is the defense is better and we pushed to hard on offense. The guys wanted the big play so bad that they missed the 3.5 yard gain. Plant the foot and commit. Cannot say that enough, plant the foot and commit.

JT and the O loosened up and started making plays at the end.
This exactly. I've read elsewhere that we weren't really mentally prepared for ND, maybe were a little overconfident, etc. I don't think so. If anything I think we may have been overwound, overwrought. Maybe the guys wanted to get it for CPJ a little too much. The O played best at the very end when we loosened up. It's possible ND let off the gas a little, but Brandon and Sean on radio noted ND left their starters in. I think Kelly knew he couldn't afford to give us even the slightest chance to come back, because we'd take it.

Radio coverage mentioned early on that play clocks were small and hard to see. Don't know if that mattered or not.