Notre Dame @ Georgia Tech 1/28/2017

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'll post more later but what a great win. On a day that okogie just was not focused - at least 3 unforced to, airballl on a short shot - gt got a great performances from tj, an iron man performance from lammers, a great glue performance from q and nice steady floor games from the 2 Sr pg.

What a win. Settled for a couple too many threes when facing 2-3 zone but eventually figured out that the 8 ft jumoper was there all day against it.

The Rudy was offsides sign was awesome. Was there at 11 and the jerseys were already gone and the students e there. Building was at least 90-10 jackets

For those that stayed the alumni game was awesome. Cremins blue team defeated kaisers white team 67-65 in overtime. Note alumni that I can ever remember showed up today. Marvin lewis labarrie and west can all still really play
Lance Storrs hit the game winner in OT. Heard Clarence Moore's name called a few times. Dennis Scott was coaching.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
we could go on a 3 game win streak if we dont get full of ourselves against clemson.

When is the last time we played well in that building? I'm not one that usually thinks things like that because each year is a new team but damn, we stink it up in there a lot.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
When is the last time we played well in that building? I'm not one that usually thinks things like that because each year is a new team but damn, we stink it up in there a lot.

Two years ago we lost in OT there. Three years ago we lost by 4, although I'm not sure if you'd describe it as us playing well. Lost by three the year before that. Lost by 2 the year before that. Last time we won there was 04-05 though.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
This may have already been mentioned, but why did Justin Moore only play 1 minute? I missed the first half due to work. Was he injured?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This may have already been mentioned, but why did Justin Moore only play 1 minute? I missed the first half due to work. Was he injured?

He has struggled, especially recently. Josh, Corey and Jax all played well today. JMo honestly couldn't be trusted to give us quality minutes today.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke just pulled it off. Big game by Kennard. That stinks because I thought my day was going to be really good.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
lethal weapon 2.5

lammers ... okogie... and stephens/jackson

you do realize we are now in 6th place in the best conference in the country? with the bottom 6 teams on tap next?

acc power rankings before saturday. make that 5 top 50 kenpom wins.

"8. Georgia Tech (12-8, 4-4) – Georgia Tech has four KenPom Top 50 wins. That’s more than Duke, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Miami, N.C. State, Wake Forest, Boston College, Clemson and Pittsburgh have. That’s as many as Virginia has."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Wouldn't it be cool if we make enough money going to the NCAA this year to pay off the two ex-coaches who, by their incompetence, provided the opportunity to hire Pastner?

RPI be damned - if we keep this up, they can't keep us out.

We split NCAA Tourney with all other ACC Members and vice versa.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Enjoyed the game and the Thriller Dome feel from "back in the day" (81-86 at GT).

Tadric maybe had a couple of "off" plays but he was making some shots today. So glad that he was "on" today.

Ben and Q are heck of a tandem the later half of the season so far on the D side. Blocks and causing tough shots along with rebounding. Although not sure what Lammers saw on a couple of pass attempts towards the end of the game.

Tip the hat to Corey. Earning the starting nod and playing well (imo).

The guys played a lot of Man coverage today and did well.

Got to chat briefly with Coach Cremins after the game. Still a great gut that was cordial to everyone that came by to tell him hello. (He's been that way every time I have meet him on and off campus for 35 years - yes many others can attest to the same.)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
upload_2017-1-28_20-32-14.png

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Finally looked at the box score.

Heath had 5 steals!

Only played 7 guys. With JMo only getting one minute.

Lammers was an ironman. CJP stated that he "couldn't take him out" because he basically just couldn't due what he brings to the table.

During the post game, CJP pretty much stated that we got lucky that JO missed the second FT attempt in the last 36 seconds because he was getting ready to sub CH for JO for defense.

Tip of the cap the TJ a) the rebound and b) keeping his head and finding JO with the outlet pass for the final layup.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Place was really loud - and like others said, nice to see it full and 90 percent GT fans ... and full student section way before tip!

Things which impressed me today - how well we attacked the ND zone. A couple bad possessions early against it, but adjusted and had clear plan of how to attack it - which we've not seen GT do in many a year. tells me we have chance against Syracuse even if we don't shoot/hit many 3's. Got many quality looks/shots against it - flashing a guard (Heath/Jax/Okogie to high post with Ben down low and wing in the corner for kick out 3). Team also did not panic - would have been easy to do a couple times, never lost composure .... kept grinding/playing their system. Also, the man defense was good - ND has such a high basketball IQ and good perimeter players that they were getting too many easy looks against the zones ... man-man was what we needed to play most of the game.

Heath has played several really strong games in a row - unsung hero of this stretch. His assist/TO ratio has been fantastic of late - running the team well, scoring a few points when opportunity presents itself. Cory played good D all day - he is liability on offense, but did great job getting over/around screens and grabbed more rebounds that expected.
Agree with comments that CJP did not trust Moore to give quality minutes (he has been great or bad of late - not steady) - and the way Cory was defending and Tadric scoring sitting him made sense.
Pace was such that neither team needed to go deep on bench - more like NCAA tournament game (no fast breaks allowed - half court everything).

The negatives - low energy/focus early on - found it mid first half. Many bad turnovers. Missed too many FT. Okogie had an off day, but Jackson covered for that. Lammers played well overall but had several bad turnovers and bad decisions late (was fatigue an issue playing the entire game?).

From my seat (low in corner behind ND bench), had perfect angle on the last play - I saw Okogie out ahead and in my head I said look at Okogie - great pass with not as much room to get it to him as it may have looked on TV, and led him perfectly.

Nine ACC games left, plus Tusculum (which I think we will beat more handily than Shorter). Two very tough road games (ND/Syracuse), the rest are all against teams behind us in the standings - and could win decent number of them if they keep playing like this (even the road games at Clemson, Wake, and Miami). Getting to 9, maybe 10 wins in league play is realistic - and I NEVER thought I would think or say that back in November.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Got to chat briefly with Coach Cremins after the game. Still a great gut* that was cordial to everyone that came by to tell him hello. (He's been that way every time I have meet him on and off campus for 35 years - yes many others can attest to the same.)

*guy not gut :oops: