Notre Dame, Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, already into ACC play. Always a lot of uncertainty early in the season; this one is no exception.

On paper (or pixels), we should win 2 of these games based on ND not scoring a lot of runs to date. I'd say 3 if we had three solid starters. But with only one identified starter for us, who knows. And Finley took a line drive off him arm although he batted against Lipscomb.

They've had some bad losses (UAB and two to Lipscomb but that was first series). One thing to note is their record on any weekend day (no mid-weeks so far) is 2-1 Fri, 2-1 Sat, and 1-2 Sun. So maybe move Finley to Friday or Saturday? Usually the best pitcher is Friday, but not all successful coaches seem to do that when they have a weak starting staff.

Hope Campbell is back. And we see McGuire or other injured pitchers getting some work in relief.

1678365771815.png

1678366042098.png

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I forgot to mention the weather. Looks like a windy Fri game at 1800 is a go. And I'd do a DH on Saturday to avoid Sunday's probable rain.
View attachment 14098

I'd guess less travel in a possible snowy time of year. Last year they didn't play their first mid-week till 8 March.
All their games have been on the road so far, too. I imagine there's a lot of fatigue behind traveling that often. Hopefully homefield can be a factor for us as well.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Wiley on the radio call on Friday and Saturday!

Same rotation as last weekend: Brown Friday, TBD Saturday, Finley Sunday. I at least hope they move Finley up to Saturday if there is rain in the forecast for Sunday. Would not mind wins with Brown and Finley, and a rainout on Sunday...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wiley on the radio call on Friday and Saturday!

Same rotation as last weekend: Brown Friday, TBD Saturday, Finley Sunday. I at least hope they move Finley up to Saturday if there is rain in the forecast for Sunday. Would not mind wins with Brown and Finley, and a rainout on Sunday...

I hoe Finley goes to Saturday rather than TBD if we only play one on Saturday and Sunday weather looks that bad.

It would be coaching negligence, gross dereliction of duty and galactic stupidity to pitch Brown and TBD only; i.e. Finley doesn't pitch at all due to rain out.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I hoe Finley goes to Saturday rather than TBD if we only play one on Saturday and Sunday weather looks that bad.

It would be coaching negligence, gross dereliction of duty and galactic stupidity to pitch Brown and TBD only; i.e. Finley doesn't pitch at all due to rain out.
I would be extremely surprised if they only play one game Saturday and just allow the Sunday game to be rained out. I am almost certain they will play a DH Saturday if the weather for Sunday continues to look bad.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be extremely surprised if they only play one game Saturday and just allow the Sunday game to be rained out. I am almost certain they will play a DH Saturday if the weather for Sunday continues to look bad.

Agree, that's why Finley will pitch this weekend. Was joking at dinner about "galactically stupid" from the movie ( think it was A Few Good Men) and wanted to use it.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree, that's why Finley will pitch this weekend. Was joking at dinner about "galactically stupid" from the movie ( think it was A Few Good Men) and wanted to use it.
Hopefully he pitches this Saturday and every one after that. I have mixed feelings about him sliding up to Friday at some point. While I would like to increase our odds of starting off each series with a win, I'm leary of using him against every opponents ace. As I mentioned before, I would love to see Samol develop into a weekend starter. With his size and the fact he is a lefty he could really be what we have been looking for. Plus, as a freshman (and one of the younger ones) he is already bringing a fastball in the low to mid 90's. The coaches have to be salivating at the possibilities for the next couple of years (at his age I believe we would have him through his junior year at least).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hopefully he pitches this Saturday and every one after that. I have mixed feelings about him sliding up to Friday at some point. While I would like to increase our odds of starting off each series with a win, I'm leary of using him against every opponents ace. As I mentioned before, I would love to see Samol develop into a weekend starter. With his size and the fact he is a lefty he could really be what we have been looking for. Plus, as a freshman (and one of the younger ones) he is already bringing a fastball in the low to mid 90's. The coaches have to be salivating at the possibilities for the next couple of years (at his age I believe we would have him through his junior year at least).

Not every team puts their ace on Fridays. uGag put their's on Saturday last week. I think it was ND last year who put their ace on Sunday. Others may remember other cases. I've got no problem with the weekend day as long as the best pitch for all the games played each weekend.

I think Samol could be great; we seen it go both ways where guys grow into their potential and where they don't (injury or whatever). Given the IP he is getting, DBo and Hall are investing a lot in his development.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Not every team puts their ace on Fridays. uGag put their's on Saturday last week. I think it was ND last year who put their ace on Sunday. Others may remember other cases. I've got no problem with the weekend day as long as the best pitch for all the games played each weekend.

I think Samol could be great; we seen it go both ways where guys grow into their potential and where they don't (injury or whatever). Given the IP he is getting, DBo and Hall are investing a lot in his development.
I'm of the opinion that the pitcher most likely to pitch deep into the game should be the Saturday starter. That usually means the ace, but I guess there could be exceptions. My reasoning behind this is that more bullpen arms would be used for the Friday game, and they would mostly get a rest day on Saturday. Then they could come back with one day rest for the Sunday game. As it is now, if the ace pitches deep into the game, the bullpen doesn't get used much on Friday, then they are used on Saturday, and then you have to dig even deeper into the pen on Sunday.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm of the opinion that the pitcher most likely to pitch deep into the game should be the Saturday starter. That usually means the ace, but I guess there could be exceptions. My reasoning behind this is that more bullpen arms would be used for the Friday game, and they would mostly get a rest day on Saturday. Then they could come back with one day rest for the Sunday game. As it is now, if the ace pitches deep into the game, the bullpen doesn't get used much on Friday, then they are used on Saturday, and then you have to dig even deeper into the pen on Sunday.
This makes sense to me...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I like following the CWS format now to get the mindset of winning games 1 & 2. Meaning you are throwing your best games 1 & 2 and then using a staff day for game 3. In the playoffs you don’t want to get to game 3. I think it would set a better tone for the season as well.
Don't you still need 3 wins to win a regional?

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
Regionals are double elimination. But I still say you throw your best from game 1 and advance as far as you can without taking that critical loss. Let’s start with ACC tournament. Go in with your best and win those first 2 pool games. Going 1-1 like last year you are gambling on that third game/tie breaker.