Notre Dame, Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My takeaways..
- Infield is healthy. There are more good players than available positions (the Ole "good problem to have")
- King, Mannelly, & Busse are available today (full pen)
- Assessment on Brown. His 2nd best outing of season

Jadyn is healthy enough to play. ........ Like I guessed he may have trouble getting back into the lineup given our D success. His .235 BA & .333 OB% and .875 fielding % (limited data) this year doesn't help.

Finley may hit in both games.

Rubenstein is doing really well blocking and snagging wildish pitches. The hitting is a bonus.

Busse says he has a little chip since his hometown ND team wasn't interested in him when he was transferring.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Domers seemed to throw their best at us yesterday. Hope that's the case.
I haven't done the research myself, but Wiley indicated that ND did indeed throw their top two bullpen arms last night in Findlay and Bedford. Bedford might could pitch today, but Findlay threw 55 pitches and 3.2 innings, so I doubt he is available.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I haven't done the research myself, but Wiley indicated that ND did indeed throw their top two bullpen arms last night in Findlay and Bedford. Bedford might could pitch today, but Findlay threw 55 pitches and 3.2 innings, so I doubt he is available.

Yeah, I heard that when Findlay came in I think. Stats support that since Hely, Findlay, Bedford and Moore pitched last night.

In 16 to 18 IP today, we'll see (assuming no injury) Tyrell and Birkholz and Moore (threw 20 yesterday and 0 ERA but only a total of 3.0 IP all year. He gave up two walks but benefited from the DP.) for sure. Others, down the list but not Findlay or Bedford (had 35 pitches yesterday so not likely.)

Here's NDs pitching before last night -- note the 3.86 ERA was about doubled last night: (We need to open the Whoop *** Can early and often today)
1678554629279.png

And last night

1678554699975.png

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Findlay has pitched every Friday for them but not any other day so I'd be very surprised if we saw him today

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Big step forward for freshman pitcher Luke Schmolke today. Gave up only one earned run in 4-2/3 innings of relief. Great confidence-builder for him.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We all knew that Schmolke would throw 82 pitches (67% strikes) and get the game win.

Hard to win both sides of a DH, gotta keep the bats hot. Only .421 RISP which is less than .436 overall. The errors were on subs mostly.

1678572357612.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any idea who's starting the evening game?

Wiley said Siegel.

Wiley is hilarious in the quiet times of the game. When asked if he liked the gold ND, helmets, he answered after a mintue that he liked them since it made it easier to know who to root against.

And it is from Statbroadcast (Finley not DHing but this is a tough lineup):
1678574289275.png

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A REALLY ugly Game 2 this evening. Pretty much everyone of our pitchers got drilled. I guess the depth we thought we might have in pitching is wafer then. One excellent starter, one serviceable starter, and maybe 4 reliable guys out of the bullpen (King, Mannelly, Vaughn, Busse) and one project who may or may not come around to be productive (Schmolke). Two other guys with potential who apparently are hurt (Hill, McGuire). That adds up to at best 2-1 weekends in ACC play, and likely as many 1-2 weekends (like we had against UGa). The third game starter will be a sad thing, in two games where neither Brown nor Jackson started, we have given up 16 and (at last count) 17 runs.

I now have come to see the light that we are about a 0.500 team in league. We simply (still) don't have the pitching to do much damage.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
A REALLY ugly Game 2 this evening. Pretty much everyone of our pitchers got drilled. I guess the depth we thought we might have in pitching is wafer then. One excellent starter, one serviceable starter, and maybe 4 reliable guys out of the bullpen (King, Mannelly, Vaughn, Busse) and one project who may or may not come around to be productive (Schmolke). Two other guys with potential who apparently are hurt (Hill, McGuire). That adds up to at best 2-1 weekends in ACC play, and likely as many 1-2 weekends (like we had against UGa). The third game starter will be a sad thing, in two games where neither Brown nor Jackson started, we have given up 16 and (at last count) 17 runs.

I now have come to see the light that we are about a 0.500 team in league. We simply (still) don't have the pitching to do much damage.
Unless Hill and/or maguire return soon and are solid starters, I don’t believe we will be .500 in conference. We have 1 reliable starter.

Even if they both return soon I am not sure what evidence there is that they will meet the above description, but I sure hope they do.

Next weekend will be interesting.