not about Minnesota

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Disagree here as well. At least I do with Collins as coach because he is actually concerned with perception. The previous regime cared nothing about it. Some here enjoyed that about him but college football is all about perception.

Coaches at Georgia Tech who cared about perception Bill Curry, Bill Lewis, Chan Gailey and Geoff Collins.

Coaches at Tech that did not really care about media perception Bobby Ross, George O’ Leary, Paul Johnson.

Last coach to really court the media was Pepper Rogers. He started well ended ok actually. Eventually his style grated on the money guys and he was complaining about facilities vocally. He got shafted some in my opinion. Geoff reminds me a lot of what Pepper tried to do which was make Tech the cool place to come play.

There is a pattern here. Read into it what you may. As an engineer I am a data driven guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Coaches at Georgia Tech who cared about perception Bill Curry, Bill Lewis, Chan Gailey and Geoff Collins.

Coaches at Tech that did not really care about media perception Bobby Ross, George O’ Leary, Paul Johnson.

Last coach to really court the media was Pepper Rogers. He started well ended ok actually. Eventually his style grated on the money guys and he was complaining about facilities vocally. He got shafted some in my opinion. Geoff reminds me a lot of what Pepper tried to do which was make Tech the cool place to come play.

There is a pattern here. Read into it what you may. As an engineer I am a data driven guy.

Was Bobby Dodd somewhere in the middle in regards to media's perception of GT?

Cam

Helluva Engineer

I think you're taking one aspect of their style and lumping them incorrectly. Correlation and causation and all that. I've heard a lot of the older fans say that Bobby Dodd was big on making his program fun and his players loved him for it. He was a true players coach. Does this mean that Geoff Collins can be accurately lumped in with Bobby Dodd because of the fun factor? Will he be as successful?

Putting that aside, I think times have changed. Could it not be argued that media perception is more important now than ever? Paul Johnson condemned the media in his Minnesota post-game press conference saying he was never treated poorly by the local media at any gig except GT. He said he never turned down an interview, but the constant criticism of him, his offense, and his program was horrible from the start. That negative recruiting on its own hampered his efforts. We haven't been a ranked team since week 3 of 2015 and you can attribute some of that to the unfair poor perception the voting groups had of GT under Johnson. Recruits would be blown away on their visits to campus because they had no idea GT wasn't as bad as we were painted to be.

I think part of CPJ's decline was he was used to a time before social media when you could tune out everything off the field and be successful. He wasn't interested in trying to make viral content to increase exposure, and I don't blame him. It can be kind of silly and feels "cheap," but I think it's definitely valuable. Collins is the complete opposite and uses social media as a tool and tries to pump out as much positive press as possible. I can't count the number of times I've seen recruits, former players, and local/national media say that "something special is going on at GT" these last few months. That has persisted through the losses and the belief is still ingrained. Perception is important these days and in recruiting it can mean a big difference with grabbing a player's attention. Perception is what allows nearly every SEC school to bring in Top 30 classes no matter how they perform in the season. Through social media you can essentially build your own perception these days and it'll pay dividends over time.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I'll take coaches who coached at a military Institution and one hard nose coach Alex for $500

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If he’s half the recruiter you think he is, the results should show up next year. Studs don’t need time to develop.

I’m a Coach Johnson fan, but I’m not blind to his complete lack of recruiting. His system could overcome some of that but towards the end his system was being manhandled by most teams we played primarily because Taquon was an athlete playing QB. I have no thoughts of grandeur that Collins can bring in top 10 classes. The school just isn’t built for that. But, I do know he’ll bring in bigger bodied, faster guys than what Johnson got. I’m specifically talking about the O and D lines and linebackers. We’ve always had pretty solid DB’s and RB’s although our DB’s have always been on the smaller side. Collins will get us more guys with height like Juanyeh who can compete on jump balls with those studs at WR from UGA and Clemson.

And if the whole thing fails then I’ll support the next coach. I supported Chan and Johnson and now Collins. My dad went to Maryland so I of course supported Ross, Fridge, and O’Leary.

Lastly, I’m in South Georgia and part of my optimism is that I’ve heard more talk of GT this year than the past decade. My son plays high school ball so I’m somewhat in the know these years until he moves on to GT as a student. We are getting looks from players that would have dismissed us out of hand 2 years ago. Just getting a few guys from down here is huge for image. Charlie Thomas is doing great things for us just by his play and kids in this area know he’s a local boy doing good. I’m hoping we get a few from Lee County and Colquitt County as well so those studs in 8th and 9th grade can watch local players playing for GT.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The one constant in the past 50 years of Tech football is the unwillingness and lack of commitment to athletics by the Institute.
I think we have a winner. To paraphrase Bear Bryant: It starts at the top.

I want them to do whatever it takes to produce a Top five program. No exceptions and no excuses.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think we have a winner. To paraphrase Bear Bryant: It starts at the top.

I want them to do whatever it takes to produce a Top five program. No exceptions and no excuses.

Yep! Until the Institute completely embarrasses football as the end all be all and creates the kind of degree programs required to truly hide a few of the high 4 star and 5 star athletes we will rarely have the big swings in the needle to ever be a top 5 program. Plus our fan base will have to learn how to buy player's with large brown bags of money. We have a long way to go to be a consistent top 5 team.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I’m a Coach Johnson fan, but I’m not blind to his complete lack of recruiting. His system could overcome some of that but towards the end his system was being manhandled by most teams we played primarily because Taquon was an athlete playing QB. I have no thoughts of grandeur that Collins can bring in top 10 classes. The school just isn’t built for that. But, I do know he’ll bring in bigger bodied, faster guys than what Johnson got. I’m specifically talking about the O and D lines and linebackers. We’ve always had pretty solid DB’s and RB’s although our DB’s have always been on the smaller side. Collins will get us more guys with height like Juanyeh who can compete on jump balls with those studs at WR from UGA and Clemson.

And if the whole thing fails then I’ll support the next coach. I supported Chan and Johnson and now Collins. My dad went to Maryland so I of course supported Ross, Fridge, and O’Leary.

Lastly, I’m in South Georgia and part of my optimism is that I’ve heard more talk of GT this year than the past decade. My son plays high school ball so I’m somewhat in the know these years until he moves on to GT as a student. We are getting looks from players that would have dismissed us out of hand 2 years ago. Just getting a few guys from down here is huge for image. Charlie Thomas is doing great things for us just by his play and kids in this area know he’s a local boy doing good. I’m hoping we get a few from Lee County and Colquitt County as well so those studs in 8th and 9th grade can watch local players playing for GT.
IMO, CPJ's ( and Sewak's) downfall was an inability to get better and more OL players. At the end , we could'nt control TOP anymore and that also killed our D due to poor depth.
Also, Sewak was terrible at coaching them up- mostly they were about as good as they were going to get as Fr. and So. Recruiting was a problem because the TO lineman skills do not translate well to the NFL- with rare exception- eg Mason .
BTW, our WRs that block so well do translate better to the NFL
With Key and more pro system ready OLs we will be much improved in the years to come- even next year, IMO.