not about Minnesota

LibertyTurns

Banned
I feel much the same way...I am not drinking cool aid from Collins though...his little marketing ploys ring hollow without results on the field.
He certainly has a different strategy. Time will tell if it’s successful or not.

I’ve just spent a decade & a half post-military. My re-introduction into the stands as a regularly attending fan was met with abject disdain for Chan. People sitting around me as soon as a game would get to the point where it was clear we’d lose would start yammering about hoping the margin of defeat would grow larger so they could run him off. Some couldn’t wait past the 1st quarter to start calling for his head. We changed coaches & it was that on steroids despite the early success. Some people just hated the offense so bad it really didn’t matter if we won a National Championship they’d want it gone. I’m really not sure what’s wrong with the average GT fan that makes them that way. Yeah, they’re on here but now act like “I didn’t mean it the way I said it”. Bull. They set the program back by all the negativity. Now we got the payback crowd & the haters don’t like it. They’re nitpicking just like the previous crowd. If you criticize or comment what’s going on now you get lumped in with them & suddenly anything not irrationally hopey changey is being castigated as hateful, being a GPJ fanboy, etc. We act like other fans didn’t notice the Citadel loss for example. The only time I hear about that game where it’s not completely negative & a source of derision about how low we’ve sunk is when FSU, Gator, etc fans are ragging on da U fans. Even then it’s used in the pejorative.

I’m going to try to stop commenting on this because it’s a waste of time. We should win the next 2 games. No reason why we should not. Hopefully that will quell the restless fanbase grasping at anything that looks remotely positive to reinforce we’re not headed in the wrong direction. After all, we have no control over the decision which will ultimately make us successful or not. We should hope for a speedy recovery because if we don’t recover it will be a very long 5 years.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, sucks that we've had so many injuries, and may only win 3 games. That NEVER happened to CPJ did it.

I feel much the same way...I am not drinking cool aid from Collins though...his little marketing ploys ring hollow without results on the field.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yeah, sucks that we've had so many injuries, and may only win 3 games. That NEVER happened to CPJ did it.
Every team has injuries. It can explain years where there’s dramatic differences in performance. When you got nothing to compare it to, it’s just the same old excuse coaches use to cover for poor performance when they take over along with “I don’t have the right players yet”. I understand it & nobody’s going to oust CGC before year 3, but at some point his record will speak for itself.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
at some point his record will speak for itself.

Yet a sizable number of posters act like we're already there. Dumb Tech habit of eating their own at the crucial time when new coaches need our support to get established with the alumni, community, and recruits. But let's go ahead and establish that beachhead and undercut giving them a better chance at success. By all means, make sure that continued mediocrity becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy with the egative drivel.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the difference is that TStan and Collins are on the same page regarding the rebuild. And Collins won’t alienate himself from the press and players see a system they want to play in. I loved CPJ and his system but he stopped innovating and became the crusty old guy the last few years. And his lack of recruiting reflected that. The CPJ of 2008 and 2009 lost his mojo over time. TStan and Collins will bring back the talent and a competitive team. Collins is building a program that will have depth and won’t only win 3 games in year 8. And the naysayers in the stands won’t bother Collins like it did Johnson because Collins is concerned with building up Georgia Tech whereas Johnson was concerned about his system. And then he just quit. Collins won’t quit, he’ll have to be pushed out the door.

Animal02

Banned
You may be right, but ... the AD bears responsibility for this. It's the AD's job to raise money. The recruits I get it. Moreso, the AD should be sitting down with the coach and going through ALL the metrics ... W-L, injuries, development, APR, season tix sales, media relations and asking the coach, "What can I do to support you?"

A coach without a strong AD is a boat without a rudder.
It is always comical to see the CPJ haters insist he should have had cadillac recruits when he was given a yugo budget.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think the difference is that TStan and Collins are on the same page regarding the rebuild. And Collins won’t alienate himself from the press and players see a system they want to play in. I loved CPJ and his system but he stopped innovating and became the crusty old guy the last few years. And his lack of recruiting reflected that. The CPJ of 2008 and 2009 lost his mojo over time. TStan and Collins will bring back the talent and a competitive team. Collins is building a program that will have depth and won’t only win 3 games in year 8. And the naysayers in the stands won’t bother Collins like it did Johnson because Collins is concerned with building up Georgia Tech whereas Johnson was concerned about his system. And then he just quit. Collins won’t quit, he’ll have to be pushed out the door.
If he’s half the recruiter you think he is, the results should show up next year. Studs don’t need time to develop.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Yet a sizable number of posters act like we're already there. Dumb Tech habit of eating their own at the crucial time when new coaches need our support to get established with the alumni, community, and recruits. But let's go ahead and establish that beachhead and undercut giving them a better chance at success. By all means, make sure that continued mediocrity becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy with the egative drivel.
100 or so anonymous randos on the internet have no effect of the program.

Last edited:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Every team has injuries. It can explain years where there’s dramatic differences in performance. When you got nothing to compare it to, it’s just the same old excuse coaches use to cover for poor performance when they take over along with “I don’t have the right players yet”. I understand it & nobody’s going to oust CGC before year 3, but at some point his record will speak for itself.

Agreed. He better have it figured out by year 3. Till then all the bitching and morning is just noise.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
A 100 or so anonymous randos on the internet have no effect of the program.

Disagree here as well. At least I do with Collins as coach because he is actually concerned with perception. The previous regime cared nothing about it. Some here enjoyed that about him but college football is all about perception.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I would encourage you to check out 4 of the 5 coaches we had since joining the ACC pre Johnson. Curry, Ross, O’Leary and Gailey all had a reasonable amount of success “looking like everyone else”. I don’t know why we think we have to have a gimmick to put a competitive product on the field now.
Amen

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lost mojo or wasn’t given the resources to compete when the arms race took off?

slugboy

Staff member
I’ll try to dig up the quote from about two thousand years ago, but it’s roughly “people assign fault to one cause when there are many”.

(I think it was about the same time Pliny the Elder complained about “kids these days”).

I think we can all agree that MBob was a bad hire and caused a lot of our issues, but he wasn’t the only problem. Stansbury has more than one problem to fix, and hopefully he’ll fix them all.

1256da5746fcb8173a3e8f712f30c7fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk